Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you read books?  (Read 1341 times)

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you read books?
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:01 am »

This may seem like a stupid question (and no doubt it actually is), but how do you read books?

I've just cleaned out a necromancer's tower and got a load of books but I don't know how to read them. I have adequate in the reader skill after assigning it on embark because I read on the wiki that it was required to become a necromancer.

EDIT: Ok, so it turned out I had another floor to clear out but it was hidden by an elf corpse. I found a slab on the top floor which reads "The secrets of life and death", but nothing has happened :(
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:02:08 am by EpsilonSigma »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: How do you read books?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:14:37 am »

Shift+i. Same as filling waterskins.

You pick up and read the slab just as you would a book.

(BTW, you wasted a few skill points going above novice reader.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:17:29 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:17 am »

Indeed, you Interact with books (ie.read them) by pressing Shift+I, and then selecting the book/slab.

Also, I notice you have Adequate Reading skill. There's currently no need for your reading skill to be anywhere above Novice, since the only difference reading skill is currently between you being illiterate (No skill) and literate (since, as of the current version, Novice and Legendary+5 Reading both have the same effects).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:49:37 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:14 am »

Ah, I guess I forgot to try every single key with the ctrl and shift modifiers :P