Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Steam as blood? And other questions  (Read 1572 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam as blood? And other questions
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:34 am »

After some testing, I've decided to try and fiddle with the toughness of the skin layer instead, and disabling all kinds of healing in all tissues. After I'm satisfied with my prototype, I'll read the wiki pages concerning tags (already read the tutorial on modding) and start working on producing a whole lot of mechanical pets. In addition to the larger, more combat-ready models, I'll make a couple of 'servant' variants as well, maybe even similar to the masterwork slaves (though more ethically correct). So, my last question for now is; how much can castes differ from each other? For instance, can I make a dwarf-like servant that's capable of speech with a subcaste that's, say, a human-sized construct with heavier 'plating' and a sword blade bodypart IN ADDITION to a completely different set of tags and descriptions? I've looked into ant men, but didn't get the answer I needed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

Sure, castes can be as different as you want.  You can have a bronze colossus and a fluffy wambler as castes of the same creature if you want.  (They'll interbreed, and be able to share clothes, and other funny side effects.)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:31 am »

Sure, castes can be as different as you want.  You can have a bronze colossus and a fluffy wambler as castes of the same creature if you want.  (They'll interbreed, and be able to share clothes, and other funny side effects.)

What he said.

Seriously, castes are very flexible. Good luck using [SELECT_CASTE:X] and [SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:X] though. :P

One caste could have steam blood, the other, liquid blood, and be very fast. One could be flesh, and the other, metal.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:12:46 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:07:26 pm »

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about making it like this once I get a solid grasp of the basics;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the sake of both balance and personal opinion, I'll make them so that they have next to no chance of performing dodges. I'll also make them at least slower than dwarves (the aforementioned skulker might be an exception). Does adding more skin layers affect combat? As in, will two skin layers offer extra protection, or will the game treat them as a single layer?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:41 pm »

I haven't really tweaked layers around that much, but I think tissues in the same layer are treated separately? Not really sure about this though.

You could make the layer thicker though, and I think it's suitable enough for what you're trying to achieve.

Question, is that creature you're making a civ creature, or a pet?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:19 pm »

A pet, to keep things "simple". There'd probably be some weird breeding stuff and other problems with this many castes, right? Since the servants and guardians differ so much, I'll probably make them separate creatures anyway, with just their variants as sub-castes.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:32 pm »

to prevent "breeding" or cross breeding make the "normal" castes like dwarves have a very high POP_RATIO on their castes, then all the other "slave" castes have POP_RATIO:1 this makes it so they will be very unlikely to be born naturally. Also any transformations to these castes the syndrome should slap a STERILE tag onto them (note STERILE is a SYNDROME only tag)

The only oddity that can happen is if they aquire a relationship with the other castes "friend, or lover" the lover part can be avoided if the castes lack a MALE/FEMALE tag but then they are genderless which is also odd.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 01:18:18 pm »

I have another question now, so I tought I'd post it here to save posting a new topic. I'm trying to make a few experimental spells that only work in adventure mode, but [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK:SELF_ONLY] or alternatively just [CDI:USAGE_HINT:SELF_ONLY] won't stop humans using it in fortress mode. What am I doing wrong?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »

I assume they're spamming the skills on everyone?

A typical interaction is like this.

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
         [CDI:ADV_NAME:Void - Banshee scream]
         [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] <------
         [CDI:INTERACTION:BANSHEE_SCREAM]
         [CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT] <-
         [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:4]
         [CDI:VERB:scream:screams:NA]
         [CDI:TARGET_VERB:are caught in the sonic blast:is caught in the sonic blast]
         [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:6]
         [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:500]

The arrows are pointing to the proper usage of the hint tokens.

[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK:SELF_ONLY] is not a valid token, and as such, they will spam it. Usage hint puts a limit on how a creature should use an interaction. Putting ATTACK as the usage hint will limit them to use the interaction on the hostile foe.

CDI:TARGET is where or to whom the interaction should apply. LINE_OF_SIGHT, as you'd expect, targets creatures within its line of sight. Mixing ATTACK and LINE_OF_SIGHT makes the creature use the interaction as an attack to a visible foe.

And since I think I know what you plan to do with those interactions (race members can't use spells), what you'd want is to type it in the way it is showed in the example.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

Ok, thank you very much. So, I'd use [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] and [CDI:USAGE_HINT:SELF_ONLY] as separate entries? Got it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »

Ok, thank you very much. So, I'd use [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] and [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY] as separate entries? Got it.

Fixed. Basically, the AI never uses the interaction, because it cannot attack itself.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 03:29:51 am »

Right, typo, sorry.
Pages: 1 [2]