Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)  (Read 258346 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2013, 09:55:31 pm »

Would them still being there, be a bug?

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »

Yes it would Osama I swear your icon looked like Osama when I was scrolling past.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »

Yes it would Osama I swear your icon looked like Osama when I was scrolling past.

Meanie.

Also I too ran into the issue of NG just swarming my place.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »

Meanie.

Also I too ran into the issue of NG just swarming my place.

Hey at least now I don't look crazy nooby since I'm not alone.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »

Would them still being there, be a bug?

Yes. I broke it, and now you can put corpses, hostages, prisoners, and sleepers into your squads. This will only be the case for this release though; seth-- already committed a patch for it.

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2013, 11:10:32 pm »

Maybe you should publish a version with only that patch, as it is a bug that everybody is experiencing.
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2013, 05:53:11 pm »

4.07.1 test release, with multi-city play, is posted here.

Think of this as a alpha release for multi-city play; it's not really ready to go in the stickied post, but it is available for testing.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:33 pm »

Related question: do "successful", in that no alarm is raised at the end of the combat round, sneak-attack kills attach Murder/Armed Assault charges?

If they do, we/I should probably update the wiki to reflect that.

They should still attach charges.

Wait, why? You aren't currently charged with theft if you manage to steal something undetected, either. And not every place is going to have security cameras like the room with the big red button in the nuclear plant.

Actually, would you consider that feature? Certain areas auto-detecting any of your crimes (Although only after the mission is over, since they're just recording for later review)? Street-wise liberals could be able to spot the cameras and alert the squad. In such areas, the charges would be justified. But please let us at least try to play a stealthy/violent game. Right now, the choice is more or less between loud/violent and stealthy/peaceful. Once you have a criminal record, the silent approach becomes a lot less useful, especially in nightmare mode.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »

Uh, my squads were dinged for ninja-looting in front of people, as of 465.

The major issue is Heat: Theft, Vandalism, etc don't really draw a police response.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »

Related question: do "successful", in that no alarm is raised at the end of the combat round, sneak-attack kills attach Murder/Armed Assault charges?

If they do, we/I should probably update the wiki to reflect that.

They should still attach charges.

Wait, why? You aren't currently charged with theft if you manage to steal something undetected, either. And not every place is going to have security cameras like the room with the big red button in the nuclear plant.

Actually, would you consider that feature? Certain areas auto-detecting any of your crimes (Although only after the mission is over, since they're just recording for later review)? Street-wise liberals could be able to spot the cameras and alert the squad. In such areas, the charges would be justified. But please let us at least try to play a stealthy/violent game. Right now, the choice is more or less between loud/violent and stealthy/peaceful. Once you have a criminal record, the silent approach becomes a lot less useful, especially in nightmare mode.

The problem is that realistically, whether you get charged for a crime or not is not determined at the moment of the crime, but later, and it matters what you do in the future as well. Right now, the game doesn't do any tracking of that; it has to decide RIGHT NOW whether the police figure out that you did it. I err on the side of "they do" for stealth kills, though I can see that might be the wrong choice; perhaps it's better to say stealth kills are never tracked back to you. But a better crime handling system would be able to look over various information, like whether you later cause alarm, whether the LCS claims responsibility for what you did, things like that.

I could see a future system where if you don't do anything on site that identifies you as the LCS, you get prompted on whether you want to leave a calling card or otherwise claim your actions, as you leave the site. If the amount of crime is low or moderate and the people in your group aren't very notable (or their identities are disguised and those disguises aren't known to be associated with them), the police and media might attribute the action to unknown persons rather than the LCS, and you could avoid being charged for your crimes. The game could consider security cameras with this as well.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2013, 07:14:57 pm »

The problem is that realistically, whether you get charged for a crime or not is not determined at the moment of the crime, but later, and it matters what you do in the future as well. Right now, the game doesn't do any tracking of that; it has to decide RIGHT NOW whether the police figure out that you did it. I err on the side of "they do" for stealth kills, though I can see that might be the wrong choice; perhaps it's better to say stealth kills are never tracked back to you. But a better crime handling system would be able to look over various information, like whether you later cause alarm, whether the LCS claims responsibility for what you did, things like that.

I could see a future system where if you don't do anything on site that identifies you as the LCS, you get prompted on whether you want to leave a calling card or otherwise claim your actions, as you leave the site. If the amount of crime is low or moderate and the people in your group aren't very notable (or their identities are disguised and those disguises aren't known to be associated with them), the police and media might attribute the action to unknown persons rather than the LCS, and you could avoid being charged for your crimes. The game could consider security cameras with this as well.

That would be great, but I bet that with the current focus on nationwide-LCS in what little free time you have, it'd just get buried and eventually forgotten as a concept.

If my opinion counts for anything, I'd be in favour of true stealth kills not being registered at all until you have the time to rework the whole crime system. It's a singleplayer game, fortunately, so nobody should be profoundly affected by that change.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2013, 08:47:11 pm »

That would be great, but I bet that with the current focus on nationwide-LCS in what little free time you have, it'd just get buried and eventually forgotten as a concept.

If my opinion counts for anything, I'd be in favour of true stealth kills not being registered at all until you have the time to rework the whole crime system. It's a singleplayer game, fortunately, so nobody should be profoundly affected by that change.

Yes, overhauling how crimes are tracked isn't terribly glamorous, and is fairly complicated, so it's the type of thing that I'm less likely to work on in favor of other shiny features. Making stealth kills not show up as crimes (or give you heat) is a one line change, however, so I'll do that now and it will show up next release.

Edit: I'll take the assault charge off of successful sneak attacks as well, since it'd be weird to have one and not the other.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:53:58 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:29 pm »

Thank youuuu~ :D

This will open some fun new playstyles for me...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:14 pm »

Thanks for the save-disabling feature. Now I can have huge squads without the game re-writing the save every turn!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:49 pm »

Compilation fails
Code: [Select]
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DINSTALL_DATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/share\"  -I../src -g -O2 -MT crimesquad-game.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/crimesquad-game.Tpo -c -o crimesquad-game.o `test -f 'game.cpp' || echo './'`game.cpp
In file included from game.cpp:73:0:
includes.h:1367:54: error: macro "mvaddstr" passed 4 arguments, but takes just 3
 int mvaddstr(int y, int x, const char *text, Log &log);
                                                      ^
includes.h:1371:54: error: macro "mvaddstr" passed 4 arguments, but takes just 3
 int mvaddstr(int y, int x, std::string text, Log &log);
                                                      ^
includes.h:1367:5: error: ‘int mvaddstr’ redeclared as different kind of symbol
 int mvaddstr(int y, int x, const char *text, Log &log);
     ^
In file included from includes.h:154:0,
                 from game.cpp:73:
/usr/include/curses.h:640:28: error: previous declaration of ‘int mvaddstr(int, int, const char*)’
 extern NCURSES_EXPORT(int) mvaddstr (int, int, const char *);  /* generated */
                            ^
includes.h:1370:5: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘(’ token
 int mvaddstr(int y, int x, std::string text);
     ^
In file included from game.cpp:73:0:
includes.h:1371:5: error: ‘int mvaddstr’ redeclared as different kind of symbol
 int mvaddstr(int y, int x, std::string text, Log &log);
     ^
/usr/include/curses.h:640:28: error: previous declaration of ‘int mvaddstr(int, int, const char*)’
 extern NCURSES_EXPORT(int) mvaddstr (int, int, const char *);  /* generated */
                            ^
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27