Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)  (Read 256885 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »

Silencers aren't that "silent" in real life, although it would be neat if the alarm would trigger one turn after the shot was fired to compensate for people not recognizing the silenced shot as a gunshot. Because although it isn't quiet, the different noise does throw off people.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:30 pm »

Thank you for putting that list together, Liberal Elitist!

There you are, Fox!  Been wondering what happened to you.

Sorry for my absence, I've been thinking about other things lately. I got a new job, which saves me from the financial difficulties I mentioned in the liberal fundraising thread, but also leaves me with less time to spend on projects. Probably won't be doing much on LCS (or other projects, like ZSS) in the next month or two, but as I get settled I might come back to it.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2013, 10:47:29 pm »

Sorry for my absence, I've been thinking about other things lately. I got a new job, which saves me from the financial difficulties I mentioned in the liberal fundraising thread, but also leaves me with less time to spend on projects. Probably won't be doing much on LCS (or other projects, like ZSS) in the next month or two, but as I get settled I might come back to it.

Is your new job working at an LCS business front? Or are you an LCS sleeper agent working at a Conservative employer? In either case, good luck!! ;)
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »

Glad you got yourself some income again!

LCS can wait for your life to re-stabilize, especially with a new version for everyone to find bugs in ;)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:00 am »

Silencers aren't that "silent" in real life, although it would be neat if the alarm would trigger one turn after the shot was fired to compensate for people not recognizing the silenced shot as a gunshot. Because although it isn't quiet, the different noise does throw off people.

While just a 'silencer' isn't enough there are enough after-market modifications that combined with sub-sonic ammunition makes pistols as quiet as they sound in movies. There are numerous youtube videos of crazy full-body mods and custom ammo where the only thing you can hear is a soft clicking sound.

Granted this is far more complicated then just screwing a barrel on the end and requires very specific guns, parts, and ammo but within the realms of a game it would be possible to make a reduced power 'gun' and use the same mechanics as a knife. From surprise against low/no armor opponents it can kill silently but against armor or alert enemies it is inferior in use.

If I were making it I would make it more damage then a knife, less then a regular pistol, and definitely harder to conceal.

The advantage is that it does slightly more power, handles armor a little better then a knife, and uses a more common skill so if alarm is raised you can swap your silenced pistols out for big ole' revolvers to blow the enemy away. Disadvantage is cost of both gun, ammo, and modifications, harder to conceal.

It could also be applied to SMGs but anything larger (shotgun, rifles etc.) it gets to the question: 'what's the point?' why bother silencing a rifle if the ammo makes it only effective at close range anyway? And a silenced shotgun is possible but really, really dumb :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »

Not to mention that there is such thing as video editing.  ::)
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:25 am »

Fair enough. If someone decides to pursue it further we can look at emperical data combined with personal anecdotes. As usual, internet is taken with a grain of salt.

This does raise an overall question: how 'cinematic' should LCS be? Would we rather have 'cinema' style silenced guns that shoot whispers or if it turns out that all a silencer system can do is turn ear-bleeding sound into rock concert sound?

Allow high level martial arts to block bladed weapons with their hands? Allow high sword skill to block bullets with the blade?

Perhaps have that as a starting option: Realistic vs. Cinematic. Cinematic would unlock crazy OTT stuff at high combat levels (like trick shooting so a single bullet hits two guys, stabbing through a tank etc.). Perhaps Genetic Mutants should be classified as 'cinematic' and be removed from realistic game play? (Same thing with talking dogs at L+ animal rights etc.

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
  • You are right good sir... I derped the word "derp"
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2013, 09:22:38 am »

Fair enough. If someone decides to pursue it further we can look at emperical data combined with personal anecdotes. As usual, internet is taken with a grain of salt.

This does raise an overall question: how 'cinematic' should LCS be? Would we rather have 'cinema' style silenced guns that shoot whispers or if it turns out that all a silencer system can do is turn ear-bleeding sound into rock concert sound?

Allow high level martial arts to block bladed weapons with their hands? Allow high sword skill to block bullets with the blade?

Perhaps have that as a starting option: Realistic vs. Cinematic. Cinematic would unlock crazy OTT stuff at high combat levels (like trick shooting so a single bullet hits two guys, stabbing through a tank etc.). Perhaps Genetic Mutants should be classified as 'cinematic' and be removed from realistic game play? (Same thing with talking dogs at L+ animal rights etc.

I agree... a man flirting with a dog.... is.. not normal...
If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:53 am »

Is if you live in Denmark apparently >.>
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2013, 12:54:06 pm »

Well I would expect it from Florida man, but people from Denmark, Not so much.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:02:01 pm by KingDirp »
If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »

I think it's needless to say I don't play LCS for the realism.

I actually like the idea of silenced firearms and more options for sneak attacks. If it is balanced and adds to the overall gameplay experience, then I am on board. Realism be damned (The day I can't recruit dogs is the day I quit forever, or at least only play older versions)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »

Would silenced weapons have more blunt damage?

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2013, 03:06:28 am »

I agree in having silenced weapons, you will have the ability to kill a person without having to trigger the alarm, unless you alienate other people.. the drawback in this is that it will have less piercing damage, and trying to kill a guy with Armour with a silenced pistol, that would be ineffective, unless you get the choice were to aim. As well as the sound produced and I believe the sound produced should be at least 2-3 squares away or behind a wall if you are adjacent to one with an entrance behind you. But the question is how would you know if there are people nearby, can we add the system that you know were the enemies are (Security cameras upgrade) when you get raided, with FoW to make it fair?

I do not how you would go about with blunt damage but that's your choice.. Back to the subject, this brings me to another idea with sneak attack and stuff, as well if you add silenced pistols and guns. It's the aim toggle, when you decide to shoot a guy (or stab him in the back) you get the choice were you want to aim whether its the head (instant kill), the leg (paralyzing), the torso(damage/instant kill), or well I think everybody knows were I'm hinting at as another choice. These are of course limited by your skill in the weapon used, and the damage dealt is dependent on the weapon and if its silenced.

The ability to choose were you want to aim would be very annoying when fighting in normal combat, I believe its best you get to choose (in an options menu or something) whether you want the aim choice in stealth combat, normal combat or both.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:16:23 am by KingDirp »

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »

On an unrelated note I've been looking at articles about 'best free PC games' and noticed a distinct lack of LCS. DF hits every list because...it's DF, if Toady spent time on the UI it'd be bigger then Minecraft, but I think everyone forgets that LCS is still an active game and 1000x deeper then when it first came out as a 'throwaway' curses game. I am not active enough on the internet anymore to try and pimp this game but to those of you who are, it'd be nice to get LCS mentioned again...

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2013, 02:31:57 pm »

I think it's needless to say I don't play LCS for the realism.

I actually like the idea of silenced firearms and more options for sneak attacks. If it is balanced and adds to the overall gameplay experience, then I am on board. Realism be damned (The day I can't recruit dogs is the day I quit forever, or at least only play older versions)

I agree with this. LCS is not supposed to be realistic. It is a parody. Having unrealistic elements helps reinforce that it's a parody and not reality, that you shouldn't actually go out and do the things you do in this game, in real life. Which is emphasized, by the 2 main parties being the Liberal Party and Conservative Party, rather than the Democratic Party and Republican Party. If we were going for realism in this game, the main 2 parties would be the Democrats and Republicans.

On an unrelated note I've been looking at articles about 'best free PC games' and noticed a distinct lack of LCS. DF hits every list because...it's DF, if Toady spent time on the UI it'd be bigger then Minecraft, but I think everyone forgets that LCS is still an active game and 1000x deeper then when it first came out as a 'throwaway' curses game. I am not active enough on the internet anymore to try and pimp this game but to those of you who are, it'd be nice to get LCS mentioned again...

Yes, somebody should do this. I can't, because among other reasons, I am currently on vacation in Vienna and am not at my usual computer, but instead using a netbook, which I share with 2 other people who are on vacation with me, and most of the time none of us are on the computer and we are out doing other things.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27