Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)  (Read 256903 times)

nephilimnexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:34 pm »

I agree in having silenced weapons, you will have the ability to kill a person without having to trigger the alarm, unless you alienate other people.. the drawback in this is that it will have less piercing damage, and trying to kill a guy with Armour with a silenced pistol, that would be ineffective, unless you get the choice were to aim.

I would imagine that one could simply copy & paste the "sneak attack with knife" code to apply to silenced pistols as well.  Even someone in full SWAT armor is still vulnerable to someone putting a muzzle to the back of their neck, right?

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
  • You are right good sir... I derped the word "derp"
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2013, 02:59:21 pm »

I agree in having silenced weapons, you will have the ability to kill a person without having to trigger the alarm, unless you alienate other people.. the drawback in this is that it will have less piercing damage, and trying to kill a guy with Armour with a silenced pistol, that would be ineffective, unless you get the choice were to aim.

I would imagine that one could simply copy & paste the "sneak attack with knife" code to apply to silenced pistols as well.  Even someone in full SWAT armor is still vulnerable to someone putting a muzzle to the back of their neck, right?

Yes that's why I said that you get the choice where to aim. If you shoot at the torso of a guy with SWAT armor it might kill him but if you aim at the head, you kill him instantly, if the shot was successful.
If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2013, 02:12:22 am »

I feel like choosing your target just adds an unnecessary layer to the attack. If your skill is low enough that a headshot might miss, you're probably not going to be sneaking around the army base. And if your skill is high enough, you're just going to aim for the head every time.

I also considered: why not have every concealable weapon be able to do a sneak attack? Sneaking up on someone with a knife and sneaking up on someone with a pistol don't seem so different to me. But then obviously stealth killing someone with an unsilenced pistol would raise the alarm. (One could even implement this before implementing silenced weapons, as kind of a build up to what may or may not be more complicated and lengthy coding)

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »

I feel like choosing your target just adds an unnecessary layer to the attack. If your skill is low enough that a headshot might miss, you're probably not going to be sneaking around the army base. And if your skill is high enough, you're just going to aim for the head every time.

I agree with you about the idea of the Aim Toggle, so let's trash that one.

I also considered: why not have every concealable weapon be able to do a sneak attack? Sneaking up on someone with a knife and sneaking up on someone with a pistol don't seem so different to me. But then obviously stealth killing someone with an unsilenced pistol would raise the alarm. (One could even implement this before implementing silenced weapons, as kind of a build up to what may or may not be more complicated and lengthy coding)

Giving every concealable weapon the ability to sneak attack is a good idea but it has its certain flaws.

But I have to ask this since it went through my derpy head:

Let's say that the Gun Laws with Police Regulation are Arch Conservative. Now you are wearing a police uniform wielding an Ak-47 (silenced if you will) for instance inside a police station. They think you are a police officer and since gun laws are Arch conservative you are allowed in wielding that gun, isn't that regarded as a concealed weapon? If so will it be able to do a stealth kill, or would it just be overkill?

Of course if you attack you must attack a person who is alone or else you alienate nearby people. Then again what is possible to do is that you make certain weapons like handguns and knives in making stealth attacks rather then every concealable weapon. Also is it possible in hiding a rifle when wearing a trenchcoat?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:33:58 pm by KingDirp »
If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2013, 03:32:46 pm »

You should be able to, but their should be a small chance to fail no matter what just to remove that possibility.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

nephilimnexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

And if your skill is high enough, you're just going to aim for the head every time.

You see: Police Officer

[K]idnap target

All targets are too dangerous.

[A]imed shot

Where do you want to aim?

[R]ight arm

Hit!  Target is lightly wounded and drops his 9mm Automatic!

[K]idnap target

You say "Be cool, dude."

You+

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:01 pm »

It's probably still wiser to kidnap people through dating them. But that is a legitimate point and would be pretty cool.

Nicholas1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »

Keep it up, this is awesome.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 02, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »

I think aimed shots would be awesome, espically while trying to kidnap special people, since they usually carry guns.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #309 on: November 07, 2013, 04:43:40 am »

And if you are wearing a Trenchcoat you should be able to do a sneak attack with any weapon that is able to be concealed underneath the Trenchcoat. So this would make Trenchcoats more useful. Trenchcoats don't work as disguises in any secure locations in the game. They do have a stealth value of 2 though, which is pretty good, the same as for Black Turtleneck/Black Robe/Black Suit/Black Dress. Not as good as Catsuit/Ninja Costume/SEAL Stealth Armor, those have stealth value of 3. Stealth value of 1 is what most clothing has. Stealth value of 0 is for being Naked or wearing something like Orange Jumpsuit, Elephant Suit, Donkey Suit, etc. which REALLY stands out and would tend to draw attention to you in a crowd if people saw you dressed that way. Anyway the Trenchcoat is the only armor that conceals medium size weapons. So allowing sneak attacks with all concealed weapons (most notably ranged weapons, i.e. guns) would work especially well with the Trenchcoat. I would also say, if someone is properly disguised for their location, and the weapon they are carrying is one that doesn't arouse suspicion and goes along with their disguise (for instance, if you're at the Fire Station and wearing Anti-Fire Bunker Gear and carrying an Axe), this ought to also be a situation that permits sneak attacks, since although Conservatives can see your weapon, they think of you as someone who is supposed to be there and they think of your weapon as perfectly acceptable and not the kind of thing to cause alarm. Another example would be wearing Overalls or a Wife Beater, and carrying a Pitchfork or Torch, that is the Redneck disguise, it works in any location that Conservatives would expect to see Rednecks. In such a location, using your weapon for a sneak attack ought to work because they would never suspect one of their own kind to do a surprise attack on them.

So when should sneak attacks be disabled? Well, when your weapon is red (i.e., it is not hidden so it doesn't have stealth, and it does not go as part of a disguise and is not considered acceptable where you are)... OR if Conservatives are already alarmed (i.e., if either one of those conditions is met, you can't do a sneak attack).

I apologize for the bad English in this post. Although I am a native speaker of English born in the USA, I was just reading some Japanese language website that I translated into English using Google Translate and everything sounded funny. And the Google Translate sounding-funny effect rubbed off on me temporarily, so I am still unable to sound normal in English until this effect wears off. Until then I shall continue speaking Engrish as my mind is in an "all your base are belong to us" type of state. For great justice! It is the same thing that happens when I hear people talk with an accent, I always imitate their accent, I can't help it. This confused people when I traveled to England last year. Everyone around me spoke with a British accent, and I couldn't remember how to talk like an American, so I would talk with a British accent too, but I couldn't do it quite right. Plus England has different regional accents, and even different accents for different social classes, and my accent was basically an imitation of John Cleese from Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. So the British people didn't think I was an American (rather strange, I would expect them to figure it out much more easily), and thought I was a fellow Englishman, but were baffled as to which region of the country I came from, and many of them asked me...  when I told them I was American they were always quite surprised and thought me to be mad, which was correct of them to deduce, as I am indeed quite mad. It's easy for me to talk American English as long as I stay here in America and only come in contact with other English speakers, but something as small as some badly translated Google Translate text that half sounds like gibberish and requires me to figure out the grammar logic of some foreign language like Japanese even though all the words are in English, since Google Translate fails to rearrange the words to be in the correct order for English grammar, soon this has me all mixed up and I can't think straight anymore. In wrong the order my words are now.

Apologize I do for sorry mis-text. Cannot write normal, brain pain. I go bye bye now. Happy fun time! :-X
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »

I agree with Liberal Elitist's rather large post. Both aboot the being able to sneak attack any time your weapon is concealed, and the whole picking up on accents and mannerisms by accident. One of my best friends I only met a year and a half or so ago, and I've already picked up so many of their mannerisms that sometimes I just sound like they do. A lot of my other friends, that don't know where I'm getting these mannerisms, are a little confused as to why suddenly I say things I wouldn't usually say.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »

Objecting to sneak attacks with anything concealable: noise!  Non-suppressed gunfire would probably Alarm people.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:25 pm »

The gun only makes noise after it shoots though. I'm pretty sure by that point it's too late.

Sure any unsilenced firearms would set off the site alarm, and according to previously stated ideas that I agree with, if the alarm is triggered you wouldn't be able to make any additional sneak attacks.

KingDirp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »

What if they didn't see the shooter and you conceal the gun, but the alarm is still triggered?

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 11, 2013, 12:46:30 am »

The gun only makes noise after it shoots though. I'm pretty sure by that point it's too late.

Sure any unsilenced firearms would set off the site alarm, and according to previously stated ideas that I agree with, if the alarm is triggered you wouldn't be able to make any additional sneak attacks.

Uh, if I understand the sneak attack concept, the primary idea is to avoid having the alarm go off.  The secondary reason is that one doesn't get tagged for (armed) assault/murder if the attack(s) succeed: and the alarm doesn't sound.  So unless we're letting people have the first shooting free, there's no difference between a non-sneak and a sneak attack if you're using weapons that would set off the alarm anyway.

If we were to implement Carlos Gustavos' code to require fast-draw/initiative checks, yeah, there might be a reason to have a sneak attack bonus.  But even then it'd be a bonus to initiative, based on the weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27