Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 104702 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: National LCS Revisited (4.07.3 Beta Release!)
« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »

I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed to the game before I ever started coding on it. All 38 of you. Yes, I counted. I wouldn't have had a game to contribute to if it weren't for the 38 of you who contributed before I ever even started coding on it. And I'd also like to thank the 40th contributor whose first contribution came after mine (I'm contributor #39 out of a total of 40). Yep, 40 total contributors, can you believe it?

Started out as Tarn Adams, in 2002. Was still a Tarn Adams solo project until 2004 when Kevin Sadler joined, made some improvements, ported it to Linux. Then for 3 years, the project was dead, until Jonathan S. Fox and Chris Johnson revived it in 2007 (now up to 4 contributors). Since 2007 it's been an active project and the number of contributors has been growing exponentially, currently at 40.

Of course, more than half the people who contributed are no longer actively contributing to the project. BUT, the project has a faster rate of new people joining as contributors than the rate of old contributors becoming inactive. So, the Liberal Crime Squad project continues to expand and increase in activity levels; this has happened as a steady increase, every year from 2007 until now. The number of people who have made contributions so far this year alone (so far in 2013) is 14. That is an all-time high for any year and this year isn't even close to over yet.

So, keep up the great work everyone! As the 39th of the 40 people who have contributed so far I am quite pleased with what a wonderful game this has become. And if you count the 2 people who contributed to the Android port of Liberal Crime Squad but not the main project, that would bring us to a total of 42 contributors.

Since 42 is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, as everyone who has read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy knows, we now have the ultimate question to life, the universe, and everything, namely: How many people have contributed to Liberal Crime Squad?

And here is a list of all 42 of us:
1. Addie MacGruer (Android port)
2. Ari Rahikkala / arirahikkala (2009-2011)
3. blomkvist (2010-2013)
4. BManx2000 (2011)
5. Callum Davies (2012)
6. calrogman (2013)
7. Chris Johnson / grundee (2007-2008)
8. Christian Sergelius / cribozai (2011)
9. Ciprian Ilies / Addictgamer (2012-2013)
10. crickel (2009)
11. cybengineer (2013)
12. dreadmullet (2012)
13. dtomandl (2008)
14. Firewolf123 (2009-2010)
15. Gatleos (2010)
16. Grimith (2013)
17. Ighalli (2008)
18. infernozeus (2011)
19. Janus / brettflan (2010)
20. Jonathan Stickles / Jonathan S. Fox (2007-2013)
21. KA101 (2013)
22. Kay12 (2011)
23. Kevin Sadler / sadler (2004)
24. kuactet (2008)
25. Kurper (2010)
26. KViiri (2011-2013)
27. LethalFeline (2013)
28. Matthew Shute (Android port)
29. mdownie (2010)
30. nyxwise (2011)
31. Pesi (2011-2012)
32. Puzzlemaker (2008)
33. ransomeliolds (2011-2012)
34. Rich McGrew / Liberal Elitist / yetisyny (2013)
35. Scott C. Walton / LiteralKa (2009-2011)
36. Servant Corps (2009-2011)
37. seth-dash-dash (2013)
38. shibby1295 (2013)
39. Tarn Adams / Toady One (2002-2004)
40. usr_share (2013)
41. vherid (2013)
42. wisq (2008)

See? 42! That is proof! We have now solved the ultimate mystery, namely the significance of the number 42! Which means, by extension, that Liberal Crime Squad, as it is the subject of the ultimate question about life, the universe, and everything, is the most important thing in the entire universe.

Of course, if we ever get a 43rd contributor, that whole theory goes out the window... :P
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Yelesom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2013, 02:56:11 am »

Forgive the rather conservative nature in which I found this bug. I'm using version 4.07.3 and when going through R > 1 and choosing a Liberal and Killing them while the leader is arrested, the leader somehow manages to execute the designated liberal.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2013, 05:16:33 am »

Forgive the rather conservative nature in which I found this bug. I'm using version 4.07.3 and when going through R > 1 and choosing a Liberal and Killing them while the leader is arrested, the leader somehow manages to execute the designated liberal.

Thanks for the bug report. I actually fixed that bug in revision 696, over a month ago, on August 8th, in the SVN, because other people also found and reported that same exact bug, too. Unfortunately for you, version 4.07.3 beta, which was released on June 29th, is revision 690, meaning it is older and was released prior to that bugfix, which is why you encountered that bug.

Want to get the latest SVN version with all the latest bugfixes and enhancements? Here are my standard instructions:

To get the latest SVN revision, go to https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/tree/... everything is in the trunk directory. The direct link to download the latest SVN revision is https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/tarball. And the revision history, so you can see a list of changes and bugs fixed, is at https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/log/. This is because on SourceForge, when you browse it, it has different release numbers, but if you use "HEAD" in the URL instead of a number, you'll always get the latest release.

As for what's in the .zip file once you download it... everything is in the trunk directory, to begin with. crimesquad.exe is in the workspaces\Release and workspaces\Debug subdirectories of that (depending on whether you prefer a Release build that's optimized to run fast and has smaller file size, or a Debug build that's full of debugging symbols, gives better error messages, and is suitable for use with debuggers, but is a larger file and runs slower). The required PDCurses.dll file is in the workspaces subdirectory, although if you already have a copy of PDCurses.dll, it should work just fine too. If you're on Linux or Mac OS X you'll need to compile and build the program using the instructions in LINUX_README.txt, since obviously the crimesquad.exe files, along with PDCurses.dll, are binaries for Windows.

You'll also want to copy the whole art directory and all its contents from the trunk directory (the art folder and the files in it are necessary for the game to work properly). The configuration file init.txt is also there in the trunk directory, you'll want that file in the directory you run the program in. And the documentation file Jonathan S. Fox also bundles with things, CrimeSquadManual.txt, that's in the docs subdirectory of the trunk directory.

Well, that pretty much covers everything. Thanks again for the bug report. If you have any more questions you can post them on these forums.

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2013, 07:15:22 pm »

New Beta:
LCS 4.07.4 for Windows
Your feedback and bug reports are requested!

You can thank Liberal Elitist for prodding me to make this release, for assembling the changelog, and for contributing many of the changes in this version. The national LCS features still aren't fully implemented, but the game should be quite a bit more stable, with some of the awkward corners in the way the game plays in multiple city play sanded down a bit.

Feel free to post bug reports in this thread!

4.07.4 Changelog
- Added more disguises.
- Conservative enemies with 200 or more Juice no longer run away from battle when wounded.
- More politically correct handling of people who reject binary gender identities.
- Full location names with cities used more often throughout the game.
- Being naked makes seduction easier.
- New init.txt option to temporarily disable ClearType on Windows (workaround for a text display bug in Windows XP and later).
- Drug overdoses of hostages during interrogation are now medical emergencies (try and have at least one interrogator with First Aid skill if you use drugs on hostages).
- New Ultra-Elite Liberal issue text for all issues if you bring the country to Elite Liberal status when playing in No Compromise Classic mode.
- Mini-skill display of top 5 skills on top of screen improved.
- More types of business fronts.
- Red states and blue states follow their political leanings better on votes on Constitutional amendments.
- Skills in full skill display are in alphabetical order, while crimes in list of crimes committed are in order from most to least severe.
- Many bug fixes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »

Go home Jonathan, you're drunk.
- New Ultra-Elite Liberal issue text for all issues if you bring the country to Elite Liberal status when playing in No Compromise Classic mode.
Did you make the Ultra-Arch Conservative ones visible as well?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:48 pm »

Seeing this tick up from .3 to .4 made my day. Thank you.

Edit: ARGH STUPID IOS KEYBOARD.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:20:15 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »

Most of the changes, including these, are not my personal doing. :P

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2013, 07:42:19 pm »

LOL... actually since I made that change I suppose I'm the one who's drunk... :P More seriously, though, being naked makes everything else in the game harder (it makes stealth impossible, doesn't work as a disguise anywhere except the Garment Makers, leaves you completely defenseless as far as armor when you're in combat, makes nobody take you seriously if you try talking to them about the issues, plus it's illegal too). So it would make sense to have ONE thing that nudity would actually help with, and seduction is the most obvious choice. Of course if you're naked at any place other than the Garment Makers and trying to seduce a Conservative, they'll be alarmed as soon as they see you because nudity automatically fails both the stealth and disguise checks, and then since they're alarmed they'll enter combat mode and you'll be unable to seduce them. So mostly this will only benefit you if you're trying to seduce a Moderate or a fellow Liberal, so it really has very little impact on the game. Conservatives who are hard to seduce, like the Corporate CEO, will still be hard to seduce.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »

The Ultra-Arch Conservative issue text already was visible, it happens if the country is Reaganified (i.e., if everything becomes C+ and you lose the game because of the triumph of Arch-Conservatism). There's no change to that in this version, it worked fine before and still works fine now.

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »

I think I found a bug. It looks like I can't recruit any new members if I move to another city. Whenever I succesfully manage to arrange a meeting with someone, they just never come. If I switch to a character in the starting city it works just fine, if I move the characters that can't recruit back to the starting city it also works like normal. If I move a character that is recruiting someone to another city it's instantly broken off (well, that one makes sense actually). Liberating sweatshop workers works fine however. This was in the 4.07.4 win version.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2013, 04:17:29 pm »

I an confirm bug, was recruiting like mad in the whitehouse, but nobody came man. =[
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »

I think I found a bug. It looks like I can't recruit any new members if I move to another city. Whenever I succesfully manage to arrange a meeting with someone, they just never come. If I switch to a character in the starting city it works just fine, if I move the characters that can't recruit back to the starting city it also works like normal. If I move a character that is recruiting someone to another city it's instantly broken off (well, that one makes sense actually). Liberating sweatshop workers works fine however. This was in the 4.07.4 win version.

Whoops, my bad. Sorry about that. This is because of a bugfix I made to prevent a ridiculous situation where if you move from one city to another, but had recruitment meetings and/or dates scheduled with people in your previous city, those people would keep meeting with you in person each evening despite being in a city very far away. It appears that bugfix led to some unintended consequences. My best guess at this time is that all recruits in the entire game most likely have their city of residence set to Seattle, regardless of what city you find them in. So the solution to this bug is to solve THAT problem, and to have new creatures generated by the game have their city of residence set correctly to be the same city as the city of the location where you encounter them.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town right now, in the Detroit International Airport, about to board a flight to Charles De Gaulle Airport in France and then another flight from there to Vienna, and I probably won't have much time for programming during this month-long Real Life vacation.

Anyway I feel really terrible about introducing a bug like this into the game by accident, and then being unable to fix it in a rapid amount of time. I'll see what I can do... I mean, this bug is serious, not being able to recruit people in other cities really cripples the whole multi-city mode feature.

Other programmers are welcome to try and tackle this bug, hopefully one of us will get it fixed soon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »

Whoops, my bad. Sorry about that. This is because of a bugfix I made to prevent a ridiculous situation where if you move from one city to another, but had recruitment meetings and/or dates scheduled with people in your previous city, those people would keep meeting with you in person each evening despite being in a city very far away. It appears that bugfix led to some unintended consequences. My best guess at this time is that all recruits in the entire game most likely have their city of residence set to Seattle, regardless of what city you find them in. So the solution to this bug is to solve THAT problem, and to have new creatures generated by the game have their city of residence set correctly to be the same city as the city of the location where you encounter them.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town right now, in the Detroit International Airport, about to board a flight to Charles De Gaulle Airport in France and then another flight from there to Vienna, and I probably won't have much time for programming during this month-long Real Life vacation.

Anyway I feel really terrible about introducing a bug like this into the game by accident, and then being unable to fix it in a rapid amount of time. I'll see what I can do... I mean, this bug is serious, not being able to recruit people in other cities really cripples the whole multi-city mode feature.

Other programmers are welcome to try and tackle this bug, hopefully one of us will get it fixed soon.
What about adding a computer skill requirement to be able to remotely recruit people?

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2013, 10:33:27 am »

OOOoh, I like that. Change the standard options around a bit?

Speaking of new meeting options:
1) Allow to meet in a group setting. This will be far less effective then 1-on-1 but will help keep you from missing appointments.

2) Allow remote talks. Again less effective then personal 1-on-1 but allow you to recruit in other cities. Perhaps as part of the new Recruit action item you have a chance or opportunity to recruit in other cities, and when they join have the option of either moving them locally or keeping them in their city or something like that.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »

I'm interested in people trying out a recent change I've made; creature types in xml.
http://dropcanvas.com/a8dcr
Here's a new executable and the new xml file you'll have to put among the others. The recruitment bug has been fixed in this too. There was some bug with saving and loading so your saves are not compatible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:11:15 pm by Carlos Gustavos »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25