Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 103862 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: National LCS Revisited
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 11:42:22 am »

I was playing GTA4 and was thinking about how cool it would be to have a team of detectives following your case, and if you happen to find out who they are, killing them before they find you out, or somehow else being able to steal evidence. Perhaps somewhere down the line with the whole multicity police thing something like this could be implemented (say, police stations having evidence lockers you can clear out, reducing heat in that city, maybe making some low-level criminal charges disappear, or having to hack the computer system in the Intelligence HQ to get a massive heat drop nationwide as well as purging a good few crimes from your record)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:27 am »

PTW. Also, it would be great if you would have both versions, a local crime squad and a nationwide squad. That would allow for classic play, as well as new play. We have such an option for the CCS already.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »

and maybe have cities that sell all guns regardless of the gun laws, like the cities with more lax gun laws, like Georgia and other places down south.

Gun laws are federal, I believe. It would be just as hard to buy guns legally in South Alabama as it would be in downtown New York. Illegally, on the other hand...

tenmillimaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 12:26:29 pm »

I was playing GTA4 and was thinking about how cool it would be to have a team of detectives following your case, and if you happen to find out who they are, killing them before they find you out, or somehow else being able to steal evidence. Perhaps somewhere down the line with the whole multicity police thing something like this could be implemented (say, police stations having evidence lockers you can clear out, reducing heat in that city, maybe making some low-level criminal charges disappear, or having to hack the computer system in the Intelligence HQ to get a massive heat drop nationwide as well as purging a good few crimes from your record)

Here's what I think- It takes a while for dicks to build up a case against you. Tampering with evidence or discovering witnesses allows you to, later on, be much more succesful at trial. (there's no good way of getting out of 500+kills).

Even better- The cops may not be able to put it all together. Cops in Atlanta may not know you have outstanding crimes in Seattle, and you potentially won't be tried for them. This all becomes less relevant once LCS becomes well known- then the crimes stand a better chance of being connected. The FBI getting involved is worse news, since that's essentially their job. And the CIA can't really be messed with since they'll just trump up charges or blame CCS events on the LCS, and do false flag OPs.

So it would be neat if your crimes were potentially untraceable (disguise skill?), or you could screw with witnesses/juries/evidence by several means (hacking, infiltration, well placed sleepers), and potentially sabotage cases by murdering or converting detectives, once they get discovered. And if different agencies had their own lists of evidence/witnesses and detectives associated with certain crimes, that'd be cool too.

That all sounds like a beast to implement, so I'd say skip it.

Gun laws are federal, I believe. It would be just as hard to buy guns legally in South Alabama as it would be in downtown New York. Illegally, on the other hand...

There are state gun laws and federal gun laws.

Example: Weapons of caliber .50 inches (across the lands of the rifling, .50bmg is actually .510 inches) are legal to own federally. Many states do not legislate on this. HOWEVER, in california, there is a .50 caliber ban (which resulted in a more effective caliber, .416 Barrett... go figure). So it would be difficult to get a .50 AE Desert Eagle or a 50BMG rifle or a 50BMG M2, etc. in California, but no problem in Arizona.

Example2: Suppressors (silencers) are federally legal, but registered, with a 200 dollar tax on transaction. The process takes a few months. However, Montana and other states ban suppressors. (OK montana is weird, but for all intents and purposes they're banned.)

Example3: similar to suppressors, automatic weapons (Known legally as machine guns) are federally legal, but registered, with a 200 dollar tax on transaction. The process takes a few months. HOWEVER, the state of Washington bans possession of automatic weapons. One could not legally own one there, and in a few other states.

Example4: New York, California and other states have magazine limits. It is illegal to own magazines above some arbitrary number in these states.

Example5: New Jersey and other states ban quite a few firearms by name. Those would be illegal to own in their respective states.

Example6: Colorado used to be lax on gun laws. Denver, CO, however, had an "assault" weapons ban for a long time.

In short: Gun laws exist at the  Federal, State, AND LOCAL level...

Maybe events in one state result in a stronger local push for state Guncontrol laws first, resulting in cities lowering gun availability before the country?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:49:00 pm by tenmillimaster »

Yannanth

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:46 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:40:36 pm by Yannanth »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:39 pm »

and maybe have cities that sell all guns regardless of the gun laws, like the cities with more lax gun laws, like Georgia and other places down south.

That's the way it should be. Ideally IRL, gun laws would be few and far between, and always federal. However, many states have horribly draconian registration policies for a simple handgun. On the other hand, the problem with federal law is that it can be swayed easier than 50+ different laws around the country. Also, not-fun-at-all fact: the recently proposed and shot down(no pun intended) national gun laws would not have stopped the Newtown shootings. The guy's weapons were perfectly legal, ordinary handguns. What's saddest of all is that if you type "Newtown" in the google box, the second thing that comes up is "Newtown conspiracy".

Also, the gunshop which (perfectly legally) sold Adam Lanza's mother her guns had its license yanked. I thought background checks were supposed to keep that sort of thing from happening...

Sorry if this got political, I just got in an argument and now I'm all angry.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »

I don't think we'll move up, we just got a new version, and there are still bugs and glitches to patch up, as well as other small tweaks, Id hate to see all the other awesome stuff Fox adds undermined by this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:00:35 pm by Jboy2000000 »
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »

Will we be changing versions for this? Seems like a big enough change to the game to bring us to version 5.

I've been curious what the sufficiently significant changes were in the last few version number updates...

The actual change from 3 to 4 was the introduction of Nightmare and Classic modes back in September 2009. The real reason wasn't those options, however, but a reflection on the cumulative changes of all previous versions over the years. I just figured it was about time. I actually don't know what the changes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 were; those were changes Toady made, and it was either before I played the game or before I paid attention to the versions. It was certainly before Dwarf Fortress was released.

The thought of bumping up to 5.0 crossed my mind as well, but I'd want to wait until we have a bunch of Washington DC sites and ways to more directly affect the Liberal Agenda screen.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:04 pm »

New release. Includes the core National LCS infrastructure with three cities, plus several bug fixes and improvements that seth-- worked on since 4.07.0. Source code is on SVN. This is an actual release, but I'm not quite ready to say "use this over 4.07.0" yet, because the multi-city play is fairly untested.

LCS 4.07.1 for Windows
Your feedback and bug reports are requested!

4.07.1 Changelog
- Game now has three cities and the ability to travel between them
- Activity doesn't go from stealing cars to laying down when you don't like the car found
- Added option to disable autosave from init.txt
- Fixed bug where sleepers, prisoners, hostages, and dead people could be placed in squads

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but the "Relocate" option in the character creation screen allows you to select from cities that aren't there.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but the "Relocate" option in the character creation screen allows you to select from cities that aren't there.

Counts. Thanks!

I'm expecting lots of things like this. Little details that are missed because the game wasn't originally intended to work like this.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »

Also, the squad creation screen should show the city each Liberal is located in. Currently, it only shows their safehouse.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »

Location/Balance changes (needs re-documented once settled):
No more Commercial District--locations split around, so need to look for them
Only one Downtown Apartment
Only one Polluting Factory (SEA)
Only one vacant building/Industrial (at least in SEA): this may take some adjusting on players' parts

Interface problems: looks like gear can be instantly rebased to any potential LCS facility

Smashing machinery now leaves rubble--what's this all about?

Non-SEA city choices are reflected in news headlines (my LCS is in Philly)

[Updating-KA101]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:30:38 pm by KA101 »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »

Interface problems: looks like gear can be instantly rebased to any potential LCS facility

Smashing machinery now leaves rubble--what's this all about?

I wasn't sure how to handle gear. I stopped you from rebasing squadless liberals to other cities, but gear...? Squads don't carry gear with them anymore, so it's not a simple design question. It doesn't make sense for you to be unable to move gear between cities, but it also doesn't make sense for it to be trivial.

Smashing machinery and display cases leaves rubble in the tile because it's more satisfying to see smashed debris on the tile after you break stuff. I think that's was in 4.07 as well, but I could be wrong.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:00 pm »

No more Commercial District--locations split around, so need to look for them

That's actually the way it was in the last B12 official version, and probably for a while afterward. When I found this new one I was a bit surprised to see that had all been consolidated.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25