Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 104007 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: National LCS Revisited
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »

It does, thanks. Is it save compatable?

I believe so, yes. That's the hope in releasing the hotfix, is to let you load up your crashing save and continue.

Equinox

• Bay Watcher
  • The end is near for us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2013, 08:20:18 pm »

I upgraded to the latest one you posted and now I am getting a complete freeze when I try upgrade my starting city's Homeless Shelter with a business front, even though it's available it just completely freezes, pressing enter or esc doesn't do anything. I can upgrade everything else but the Business Front.

EDIT: someone already posted about it. Sorry for reposting. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125450.msg4224727#msg4224727
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:27:21 pm by Equinox »
"They say the flapping wings of a single butterfly can stir a wind on the other side of the world. Ever wonder what impact your little bat wings have on this world?"

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2013, 08:54:51 pm »

Except that's more info than we posted in the other thread: I saw the options and didn't try them.  Odd that only the Business Front crashes it--probably something with the name-change code?

Whilst on the topic of bugs: Met a Programmer in the SEA net cafe, talked to him about the issues and he's willing to join.  Trouble is that his Sleeper position is in Brooklyn & Queens (the NYC Industrial District, IIRC?).  Seemed really weird.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2013, 12:27:22 am »

I think it would be a very good addition. It would add another level of scale to the game, you know? It would be like letting people design a silly simulacrum of their local area possibly even, what with the open development. Each state could have it's main city, with some states like those with the capital in another city being like going on a mission requiring a car is now, with a few landmarks and a lot more generic shops or locations that all cities share. I'm not a city person, so other people would have to fill that in.

It would be cool to include as much content as people will submit. Someone could visit various city's websites and ask about what important locations those forumgoers would want to include in a video game such as LCS alongside the generic factories and oil rigs and banks and such. By that, I mean a sort of 'area generator' where you type things like 'Steel Factory' for the location title, then type a name for a component to break or some other game mechanic to effect with an action. If it could be on a simple website you could collect a large amount of simple descriptions if you advertised it a bit where LCS is played, and also if the form was generic enough you could post it in city forums to get it filled out; I assume most metropolitan areas have some sort of forums or Twitter by now. I'd recommend that they don't use actual place names, but more of a generic desciption. That sounds like a fair bit of work I'm not proficient in doing though, so I have no expectations whatsoever, just an idea as to how I'd go about it were I capable.

Honestly I think the more locations in LCS, the better. Lots of various neighborhoods being effected at both the national and the local level would be cool. It would be cool if you could still win the game by having a network of non violence across the country by being stealthy, it would be a sort of the moral lesson that would be for a second playthrough. You know the one, the one where you realize you could have done it without killing all those people in Alpha Protocol for example, by letting the CCS shoot themselves in the foot by waiting until they attack you once you reveal yourself in a non-violent way. Maybe have game modes where the CCS is non violent until provoked by violence by liberals, where the game tries to match your violent acts by sending in the CCS to keep you from just shooting a bunch of people to raise concern for gun control. I guess that game mode could use an additional choice whether or not you are almost be forced to use violence followed by an escape, such as Deathsquads (if starting c+) or the CCS having knowledge of your past attempts to infiltrate them/monitor them/live a liberal life, and having a few of your associates kidnapped or otherwise detained for information that you somehow heard about. How much they know about you I guess would depend on the above choice and maybe how conservative the laws are at start.

It would be cool if site actions were way more effective in that case, so that area is swayed for a decade or more. That way once you pull out the guns, you open a sort of Pandoras Box and it gets crazy real fast with the police and the CCS chasing survivors over state lines and stuff.

EDIT: I think I started with and then was distracted from this leftover paragraph I found in editing, but I think I typed it in response to something I saw in the thread:

People in small towns will drive very far every day to find better paying jobs in urban areas, also. We're talking about driving for an hour or two on the highways at 55 to 70 miles per hour, and waking up at 6am while driving 4 hours or more a day and getting home around 7 or 8.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:20:37 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

r1kr0k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2013, 07:48:08 am »

I think managing liberals needs improvement to tackle this idea. Here's why:

If there is more variety to locations, it makes sense to recruit more members to attack specific locals. A whole turn can be dedicated to attacking all locations at once, then recovering from the heists. This means players should manage their liberals specifically as some liberals are better than other liberals, so the player must conduct a comparative analyst. Comparing a population over 50 with the current tools in game is difficult and time consuming.

Having a menu to compare liberal by liberal in terms of highest age, juice, recruit potential, stat(s) of your choice, or skill(s) of your choice would remedy this. In addition, having your stats show up on the skill page would be helpful too, either above or below the skill columns. These two changes would greatly enhance the management of liberals.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »

I guess something like this would help:

(Note: the asterisk denotes the "natural order" of the group -- the one which is used in the current version.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:21:35 am by usr_share »

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »

One problem I've been seeing in my national playthrough is that the Location bar typically doesn't have enough room to display the city location.  (Here's hoping two Business Fronts don't both come up "Manpower" or "Auto Ins.".  Might be worth making more room for city designations.  (Comma, space, and 2-3 letters ought to work, so about 5-6 more characters needed)

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 11:25:07 pm »

I think that, for a national LCS, there should be a national media to report on the events, too.

Really big or effective events (say, shutting down a power plant or stealing documents from the CIA or killing a CEO without casualties on the liberals' side) would certainly warrant a greater response. It won't just be a single article in a local paper -- it'd instead start discussions on the national TV and radio.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »

The mainstream news channel has been hijacked by CCS mercenaries!

The CCS boss appears on the screen

He gives a beautiful speech about the necessity of nuclear power

The speech is so good that security guards are stuck at their stations watching!

He leaves, and the screen is replaced with the motto "Better Dead than Liberal"

---

One of your commandos hands you a newspaper

The New York Times
Conservative Crime Squad strikes again!
The sensational CCS has struck again, according to sources in Washington State. The group was seen commiting assault, murder, and theft. Before fleeing the scene, the group comandeered a recording booth and gave an amazing speech which, according to NYT polls, has swayed public opinion in favor of Conservatives. The Moderate Sensibility Squad responded... (more on e2)

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2013, 01:16:07 am »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:13 pm »

Another test version:
http://www.jonathansfox.com/lcs/lcs_win32_4.07.2.zip

Features:
- Multiple city mode is now optional
- Current city is reflected in more places, including news stories
- Fixed prison law change crash bug
- Removed some special rules for unusual public opinion shifts for certain locations

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:28 pm »

DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2013, 06:05:28 pm »

How you do?

I know, that's sweetsauce. What's up with that awesomeness? Is that from a game with text swapped out?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2013, 09:46:00 pm »

DO WANT.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:40 pm »

How you do?

I know, that's sweetsauce. What's up with that awesomeness? Is that from a game with text swapped out?

The graphics are original ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25