Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress' UI: I kinda like it?  (Read 4842 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress' UI: I kinda like it?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 09:14:16 am »

While I don't know about any massive improvements, I would love to see the scroll function of the mouse allowing the player to skip multiple Z-levels at a time. I often neglect to hotkey places like the caverns, forcing me to manually attempt skip the levels.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 03:38:43 am »

Yea it's intimidating, but useable once yer used to it.

There is definitely room for improvement though.  Lots of inconsistent scrolling for one, and the stocks screen REALLY needs to be able to use shift-arrow when set to larger window sizes.   Checking how many bars I have in stock is a friggin chore when it's 20 arrow presses from the top or bottom of the screen.

Page up/page down.

Does not work. Page up/down moves though page. If all 50 items are on single page and you want item 25, you are up in for hell of arrow pressing.

This is biggest issue with DF gui: you are players have to handle large and diverse lists of stuff (usually with hundreds items), but there only only two places where it is manageable: manager screen and bring items to depot screen.

Simply put, UI is not on par with content of game. It is severelly lacking.

*twitch* Designating wall made of stone *twitch* scroll down and find your desired material *twitch* every time i designate new segment, materials are reordered *twitch* even if they are not, i might find out that i do not have enough taking care of designation. *twitch*.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 06:29:19 am »

I've created several DFHack plugins that address many of the issues brought up here.

My search function for screens with big lists is already in DFHack r3. But there are several others you can download in the linked thread, such as:
  • A better stocks screen, where you get a single, sanely filtered list of items that you can just freeform text search on, instead of scrolling through categories.
  • Unlimited sized "box selection" for constructions (laying them like designations), so you don't have to mess with "umhk" keys
  • Some mouse support, soon to be increased
  • and a bunch of other stuff like designating furniture before it's built, marking stockpiles for auto-trade, open space construction, live happiness monitor and more
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:21 pm »

Sure, the interface is functional. The problem is that it's incomprehensible for new players, and it doesn't have to be. There are many people who don't mind the ASCII graphics or the complex gameplay, but give up on the game because of its interface.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »

Sure, the interface is functional. The problem is that it's incomprehensible for new players, and it doesn't have to be. There are many people who don't mind the ASCII graphics or the complex gameplay, but give up on the game because of its interface.
When I was a new player I found the interface pretty simple. You press a letter and it moves to its associated menu or function. You can't get much simpler than that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 2 [3]