Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Domain of Dawns (Succession Fortress)  (Read 3834 times)

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Domain of Dawns (Succession Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:46 am »

Ok, well choose another route that you would like me to send you the files and we will get the next year going - just PM me your preferred method and point of contact.  Thanks!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 11:31:48 am »

Ok, I got the save from em3rgency, I'll be working on that.
Might be a little slow because I'm sick at the moment, but I'll get there.

EDIT: Well, I found out why the caravans weren't able to reach us. Some idiot mechanic stuck a bunch of cage traps in the way, don't they know that wagons can't fit through those?
So I'm going to build a new depot slightly off to the side, in front of the traps.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:56:21 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Woops :D For as long as I've been playing Dwarf Fortress I always had my trade depot outside, so traps were never involved. I had no idea!
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »

Ok, I don't think I'll be able to work on this, I'm simply to sick for any progress to be made.
You should probably send the save to ProfHockenbery, because it will take too long if I keep at it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:51:29 am »

Ok, I have sent year 3 to ProfHockenbery.  There are still plenty of openings should anyone want to get in...if not, then we will 3-man this fort and rock it out!

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:39:00 pm »

Hey I wouldn't mind taking a year, I've been playing DF a while but just joined the forums! I'll dorf myself if I find one I grow particularly fond of.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »

I'd like to sign up as well, if that's alright.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »

Alright, the more the merrier! There just seems to be problems with people taking over the save... ProfHockenbery hasn't responded to my PM or on the forums since his turn "started"...

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 03:15:55 pm »

I sent Prof the link for the .rar.  I will put both of you guys in queue - looking forward to a killer fort (was that a pun, or was that a pun...can I get a drum roll on that one?  Guys?  Guys...why are you all leaving...yu no like my joks?"  :o  :P

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »

*bu-dum tssssh*  ::)

FYI I'm in the UK so if my turn comes up and I don't answer right away... it could be the middle of the night. Or I might be at work. Depending on our relative positions.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »

Hey no biggie, we are gonna set up some guidelines for kicking off a file probably tomorrow.  I think I want to give people 72 hours to kick off a file, and about 2 weeks to play it out.  We will have something more definite hopefully tomorrow - looking forward to some fun!

ProfHockenbery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:37 pm »

So there I was, with special invitation, presenting my life's work Curvy Chains In Banach Spaces to our queen (and chief herbalist) Solon Askilrud. Nine hours later, I awake tied up, with a pounding headache, in the back of a wagon headed out of the city. “Too confussling,” she says, “Me no likey big words,” she says, “Why we even pay you what?” So she decides a Professor of Mathematics would make an excellent leader for the most redneck armpit of the MountainHome's dominion. Normally we'd let such people be, but these hicks happen to be sitting on the largest gold deposit in the known world. And there's nothing our dearest queen loves more than her gold. So now I'm off to PointedCraft, population 59, HFS on earth. This, is my journal.

1St Granite, 1053
   First thing I notice as I make my entrance is the lack.. of an entrance. Seriously, it's just a hole dug in the dirt, with not even a road leading up to it. If we're going to elevate this place above its current status we're going to need to do a little better than that. The second, the gold, there is a lot of it, 34270 Urists in bars, and countless more in amulets, goblets, statues, and the like. The previous overseer, whose quarters contain a suspicious quantity of the fortress's wealth, left a note that I should check up on the military. I do, and I only wish I could unsee it. The after-action reports describe soldiers kicking, biting, and punching their foes. To think these are the kind of dwarves protecting the world's richest gold mine is simply horrifying. And if these soldiers should fail in our defense, we'll be forced to lock ourselves in and die of dehydration, as there's no internal source or reservoir of water. The division of labor is bizarre as well, with a legendary rockcrafter ordered to do nothing but haul and clean, while fortress has twenty idlers. The brewing is left to novices and dabblers, while brew-masters are disallowed. The security concerns, of course, come first.

2Nd Granite, 1053
   I have drafted a number of amateur masons to begin construction on a small castle. Lumberjacks have begun clearing out a road to the south. I'll have it paved shortly.

10Th Granite, 1053
   Castle construction is going well, I've ordered the gates to be made of gold, I'm pretty sure we actually have more of it than stone. I've also created a new squadron to defend our gates, the “Golden Stars”. Unlike their predescors “The Golden Women” they are both of ambiguous gender and training in the use of the crossbow. Because civilized dwarves shoot at helpless foes from superior fortifications... It's the honorable thing to do.

10Th Granite, 1053
   Castle construction is going well, I've ordered the gates to be made of gold, I'm pretty sure we actually have more of it than stone. I've also created a new squadron to defend our gates, the “Golden Stars”. Unlike their predescors “The Golden Women” they are both of ambiguous gender and training in the use of the crossbow. Because civilized dwarves shoot at helpless foes from superior fortifications... It's the honorable thing to do.

14th Granite, 1053
   I've just received notice that one of our new soldier suddenly gave birth while climbing the stairs; I'll have to order an injunction so people can't go about disturbing the goldsmiths like that again. I'll never understand provincials. Also, our miltia captain appears to be missing both his lower arms, I don't know how I didn't notice that before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

16Th Granite
   This may be the most astounding feat of absent-mindedness I've ever seen.

25Th Granite

The gold is cursed! Flee for your lives!

Shortly thereafter, the game crashed and all progress was lost. Further experimentation proved that for whatever reason, it's too unstable to handle saves of any real size. ¯\(°_o)/¯ Consider everything you've just read to be an alternate timeline, as I'm passing the save, once again, to the next player. Maybe the gold really is cursed. Also, I'd like to put in a request to be dorfed, as brewmaster if you please.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 01:04:33 am »

Too unstable? Meaning you tried again and it crashed again? :/ You only played a month in this log, and I love your style so far, if you haven't, would be awesome if you just re-tried.

P.S.
The labor assignment is just the way I play, and it works! :P The 20 "idlers" are never never idle when I manage things. And I only make dedicated brewmasters with populations of at least several hundred, till then, the farmers handle all food production and processing.

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 07:19:29 am »

Yeah, I must say I was totally digging your entrance as well.  'Tis a shame you can't continue...I am not sure what the issue was.  I guess the save goes on to Banjo - will get the link to him shortly.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 07:55:40 am »

Is the profs file useable or will I be starting from the beginning of what would be his year?
Pages: 1 [2] 3