Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Domain of Dawns (Succession Fortress)  (Read 3835 times)

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Domain of Dawns (Succession Fortress)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »

Check your mailbox - I will send you the link.  I think it is fair to let you start at the end of Em3rgency's file.  It looked like prof had a real good thing going, I was disappointed to see he was not able to complete the turn.  Just check in on the forums when you begin your turn - thanks!

ProfHockenbery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 10:23:12 pm »

I did a little bit more fiddling after the crash, but even very brief saves were giving scarily lengthy freezes. If it wasn't a succession fort, I might have tried to save it by disabling weather and temperature and what not to ease a little strain, but I'm not sure how that would affect the next overseeer. I might pop back in later, but it wouldn't be right to take the file right now. Thanks for all the compliments and good luck to BanjoSnake!

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 11:07:38 pm »

Prof, I did notice that it took quite some time to save, but I just assumed that had to do with the fact that we started in a large world with over 1,000 years of history  :P  I have now been operating in a world with basically all the same settings, except I lowered history to the year 5 and reduced ores to scarce. 

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 11:04:17 am »

Yeah length of history can affect save times, even with 250 yr histories my games can take a few minutes to save, though I didn't notice a huge increase when saving this file so I dunno. I think because every time the game has to save the state of everything going on in the world, not just the fort perhaps? So obviously the more stuff has happened the more needs to be written to the file each time.

Anyway I'm finding it playable all the same, expect my first report up in a few hours time!
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 05:27:07 pm »

Excerpts from the First Annual AUDIT of POINTEDCRAFT by BANJOSNAKE, Divinely appointed and royally sanctioned blessed AUDITOR

From his Initial Report

Dwarven tradition dictates that two years after the foundation of a fortress, it must be officially AUDITED to ensure that the fort is:
  • Properly maintained, including:
    • Adequate eating and sleeping areas
    • Sanctified burial grounds
    • Organized and efficient stockpiling
    • Appropriate job designations
    • Dwarfane standards of animal care
  • Secure from undesirable external influence, including:
    • Hardy fortifications
    • Convoluted and trap-filled corridors of spiky doom
    • Excessively massive stockpiles of battleaxes and warhammers
    • Abundant anti-elf propaganda
  • Meeting the many and varied desires of it's working population, including:
    • Survivable medical care
    • A wide variety of food and drink
    • Production of attire in the latest fashions from the mountain-home
    • Well-trained animal companions
    • Abundant artistic renditions of cheese and plump-helmets to appease the more asthetically-minded dwarf
  • Hugely profitable

Personal notes: Though certainly not the worst fortress I have been requested to AUDIT, I find this place... Unsettling. Many, but by no means all of these dwarves have forgotten their own names, referring to each other almost exclusively by the labours they perform.
Those few dwarves lucky enough to have bonded with a life-long animal companion have been forcefully wrenched from their unions by a strict protocol of keeping all animals outside the fortress proper. Woe betide the fellow who is near one of these poor lost souls when the goblins appear on the horizon. Those animals will be the first to taste the goblins poorly-worked steel, and I speak from experience when I say that the death of such a beloved and true friend can be felt from many miles below the rock with potentially disastrous consequences.
As I first entered the fortress, I caught the unmistakable inky aroma of decaying dimple cups. A quick AUDIT of the nearby farm plots taught me that many quarters were dedicated to the growth of these horrible, useless little toadstools. I will be quick to rectify this error. Additionally I had to squeeze through an elaborate arrangement of traps just to enter the fortress. Certainly I approve of such constructions, but how these dwarves ever expect to navigate a wagon to the delightfully provincial little trade depot beyond I do not know.
One unique dwarf, possibly an elven sympathizer and calling himself "Em3rgency", abides in personal chambers bedecked floor to ceiling in precious GOLD, while the other denizens of this place live in what can only be described as "sleeping tubes". I must keep an eye on him. Fortunately as the most supreme book-keeper of this odd little fortress, I will be working with him closely for the next year. After the traditional "Greetings friend and welcome to our halls" piss-up I will ask him for a personal tour of the lower levels, there to seek the true wealth of this place.
In one months time I shall have prepared the initial AUDIT for delivery to the Mountainhome. Then my work can begin in earnest.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 06:02:20 pm »

Cool introduction!  Looking forward to how your year goes...and if anyone else wants a stab at the fort, please let me know!  The more, the merrier.
Pages: 1 2 [3]