Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!Lake-Top Fort!!:Help Me With My Crazyness  (Read 1185 times)

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Lake-Top Fort!!:Help Me With My Crazyness
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:45 pm »

((Lets hope the "!!"s don't foreshadow how my fort ends...))

Just genned me up a brave new world, and founded my fort, Darkirons, in a totally flat forest full of trees, animals, and shrubs. And a massive lake taking up a good sized chunk of the map, though it is frozen for a part of the year.

So, I decided to pull a Lake-Town from the Hobbit, and build... Yeah. How would I go about this? How would I store stuff, defend it, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: !!Lake-Top Fort!!:Help Me With My Crazyness
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:40:46 pm »

You should be able to build wooden floors over the lake, and seal off your main path with bridges. Just make sure during winter your aboveground fort isn't exposed from the frozen lake.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:42 am »

It is doable. The funnest part of your fort is that your lake freezes. You must tell us how many dwarves drown every year when the lake thawes. Or maybe you should consider building a dwarven bath to teach your dwarves swimming.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:57:18 am »

I'd be more concerned about the freezing than the drowning. There exist various schemes to induce swimming lessons, but if the lake freezes when you're in it, well... where is your god now?

Also be careful--yes, you can build wooden floors, but if the lake thaws and they're not anchored to anything... well... expect some Fun. You can also mine out the lake while it's frozen, and as long as you build constructions out of the ice while it stays frozen, it won't thaw out.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 03:52:32 am »

Dwarves wont go swimming voluntarily but they will walk on ice. I have lost dwarves to melting ice but never to freezing water.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »

I suggest building out to the middle of the lake, and during the winter mining a staircase straight through the lake into the ground, then lining that staircase with glass. Every winter mine out underwater glass encased extensions of the fort. Make ample use of doors while doing these extensions to stop potential flooding during a thaw. Extra points if you make the above water portions out of glass too.

For extra ridiculousness (and convenience) I suppose you could use the mined ice as the building material, but I think that kind of diminishes the epicness. How deep is the lake?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:26 am »

It has been a long time since my last fortress, so little questions :
are lakes common ?
how big yours is ?

This makes me want to install DF back, and play .... and I am at work ... :(