Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ITT: We act like DF2013 is out  (Read 5340 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: ITT: We act like DF2013 is out
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57:49 pm »

Bug: In evil biomes, trees can be turned into husks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:48 pm »

Bug3: Trees can jump.
._.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 12:05:25 am »

Bug?: You can have fruit titans/FBs/clowns.

I found it unusual to see a three-horned durian with a bloated body. And also, there's a few new syndromes in the files.
Off to weaponize stuff!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 03:34:38 pm »

Bug: In evil biomes, trees can be turned into husks.
Bug3: Trees can jump.

Yeah, I noticed these. They can also contract vampirism - an animated birch husk bounced across the map, chucked a vampire into the well where it died on impact, then hopped in after it. My dwarves must have the best cautionary tales to tell their children.

Fortunately, you can deal with undead trees fairly easily under the new system.

I started my fortress to experiment with orchards, and it's turned into an apple pulping industry.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:49 pm »

Yeah, that new papermaking system is quite interesting, the way you have to pulp trees to mill into paper.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »

Avoid using minecarts. Apparently if you do, your dwarves will keep filling it none stop (because they never fill up). Then, if they attempt to haul it, they will never be able to move it further then a few spaces without dying of thirst. Not really a reliable way to quantum stock pile either. Attempting to put magma inside the minecart may crash your game as the minecart just sucks up everything it comes into contact.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »

Ok, I need some advice here.  :(

I've been playing DF2013 for a few weeks now, and I honestly don't see much difference between it and DF2012 yet. I know there are many new changes for adventure mode, but to me roguelikes are a dime a dozen, and I don't care about adventure mode. I only play fortress mode, but the only difference I've noticed so far are larger trees.

Am I missing something? Any advice on how to use the new features? And how do I set up a fruit workshop? The wiki doesn't have much information yet.  :(

Edit: Oh, and I'm getting a lot more spam work cancellation messages now than before. Is this related to fruit?

Edit: Sometimes my dwarves get injured while chopping down the big trees. Is this normal? Should I set up a hospital right at embark?

Edit: Does anyone know when Dwarf Therapist will work with this version? I hate to admit it, but I've grown attached to it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 08:11:03 pm »

I can't wait for 2014. Does anyone have a release date?

We're only up to the fourth bugfix release, it'll probably be a while until there's new content.

In other news...
Generated a world. My parent dwarf civilisation only had one site, which was the capital.
I embarked, set up my fortress.
The other dwarf site was conquered by goblins during play.
So my fortress became the capital site.
My mayor was promoted all the way to King.

Retired the fortress with a few cages of captive goblins connected to a lever.
Made an adventurer, returned to the fortress.
Pulled the lever.
Due to bug #773071, caged creatures in a retired fortress become entity members. But they remain hostile.

Loyalty cascade, civil war ensues.
By the end of it, my adventurer is the last dwarf standing, and therefore is made King. Of a civilisation of one. Of which, because of the loyalty cascade, he is an enemy.

Did I just win Dwarf Fortress?
Yes. You did. Turns out its quite boring, compared to all the losing.

(Toady. This needs to be a thing.)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:04 pm »

As for DT, I heard Toady might be implementing a system where various nobles control your menus and their skill levels as well as how well their requests are being fulfilled affects how irritating the UI is. With good nobles you get all sorts of nice infos and tools and things are made easy to access quickly, and the game gives you lots of nice automation features to cut down on micromanagement. With unskilled, unsatisfied nobles, you don't get access to the z menus and all the related controls for things are in different menus.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:44 am »

Have you ever had them get parried into the ground? They immediately reach terminal velocity and just explode. It's glorious until a flying gib hits your adventurer in the head.

Then it's hilarious.

I have now found that occasionally, about 1/5 chance, that gibs striking other animals can cause them to gib as well.  With 20-30 gibs per animal, this brings up some interesting possibilities.  I propose science to find out the mass and density of animals required to get this reaction to become:

Critical: Dwarven Meat Reactor
Supercritical: Dwarven Meat Eliminator
Prompt Supercritical: The great weapon of mass destruction, the Dwarven Meat Bomb

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 05:10:54 am »

Is the reaction affected by certain body constructions? If so, you can mod cats to be very unstable and create extreme heat when killed.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:52 pm »

Best version yet! I wasn't seeing many screenshots so I took these on embark, for the sake of anyone who still hasn't gotten home yet to download the new version. Multiple tile trees! Going to see if I can hollow out a tree and have it as a trapped fort entrance for visiting elves. If it works, I'll have to embark somewhere with larger trees so I can route the elven trade caravans into one.

One z-level below that, just for good measure.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:31:45 pm by Taffer »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:34 pm »

beautiful work taffer :)

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:46 am »

Well it seems booze can explode now

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 10:24:58 am »

I need to redesign my vampire containment. Goddamn spiderelf over here keeps getting out of the cavern pits i throw him into. It's like he doesn't even know I'm giving him a guilt free diet of mayors and passing forgotten beasts down there. I'll need to kill him sooner or later, but i kinda made it a bit of a jungle before they got there, and that's before i bought the elf's cursed seeds. They seem to have had some kind of defense matrix activated. I didn't even scratch the bark! And on top of that I've got a caravan arriving through the deep roads in a month and a seige spearheaded by the nearest "deity". Wait... is that a force of kobolds?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:12:37 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 2 [3]