Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobless dwarves  (Read 1022 times)

soczke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Jobless dwarves
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:49:29 am »

I'm kind of new to the game and my current fort is going nicely, mainly because I know what to do (kind of), but I have a big problem with finding jobs for dwarfs. If I have to craft something i choose one of the dwarfs and try to get it going, but there are still 10 idlers waiting for the second coming of Christ. As I said the fort is coming nicely but i just saved and quit it because i know i don't get the most out of my dwarfs and that the time is wasting. What should i assign them to? I have 21 dwarfs, who 2 of them are militia. And the 22th dwarf died because she went berserk in my dining room :p

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jobless dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:04:03 am »

Maybe military?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:23:22 am »

Primary jobs, working with primary resources. Masons, farmers, woodworkers, metalworkers and miners.

Failing that:
Maybe military?
This.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »

Military. One zombie yak could easily scatter and destroy a population of 30+ civilian dwarves (assuming you have a minimal amount of traps set up). Weapon and armor manufacture is the next best thing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »

I find that having a few dwarves idling is a good thing. When everybody is busy things like hauling and lever pulling will start distracting your important craftsdwarves.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

Primary jobs, working with primary resources. Masons, farmers, woodworkers, metalworkers and miners.
fixed, you probly dont want to waste wood or metal on crafts. For farmers you'd want 1 or 2 elites, not everyone with the labor enabled.

anyway, if you find you have too many idlers try designating a area of cavern to be cleared of all trees and plants, that always works for me. All of my non-military is either a woodcutter or miner, i also have almost all labors enabled on peasants, with the exclusions being labors where i require quality objects to be made. My military shares the same labors as the peasantry except mining/woodcutting because those labors and hunting tend to mess with their equipment.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:33 pm »

Check out Dwarf Therapist. It's a third party program for assigning labors to dwarves (as well as some cheaty things, like assigning labors to babies and children). It'll help you stay ahead of the cheese maker/fishery worker influx from migrant waves and keep everybody with useful jobs.

Assuming you have everybody assigned properly, with or without Dwarf Therapist, the only way to keep everybody busy is with constant work. Here's a few Band-Aid fixes:

Make a ton of mason's/craftsdwarfs' shops and mass produce blocks/crafts (though you may need the raw materials later, so be careful)
Smooth everything (just make sure "ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED" is set to yes in the d_init.txt file)
Dig out everything (though this causes other problems in terms of lag, so I wouldn't go with that)
Plant gathering (no downside if you have the storage space)
Wood chopping (though this will piss off the elves no downside)
Cooking your food into stacks (if food is your main trade resource, don't do this)

Those are all band-aids as I mentioned, as they rely on mostly finite (or at least slow to replenish) resources; for a sure-fire, no-nonsense, always-works solution: naked wrestler army. This uses no resources, and keeps everybody busy tumbling around the barracks floors, and it's a self solving problem when they actually go out to fight the spray-tanned adonas bronze colossus.

But there's no real downside to idlers, other than the dissatisfied at work thought, if you handle the idlers correctly, which is all discussed under any tantrum spiral related thread.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:53:35 pm by ChuckWeiss »
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!