Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Science Experiment:Butchering Yourself and other Sentients  (Read 3718 times)

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
A Science Experiment:Butchering Yourself and other Sentients
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:11:54 am »

So, I just thought I'd share this disturbing piece of information.

As is well known throughout the community, in an unmodded game, your adventurer's ethics prevent you from butchering and eating the corpses of any sentient creatures, ranging from humans to troglodytes to clowns.
The game tells you that you are not hungry enough.

What is probably less known throughout the community is that once you purposely don't go without food until your adventurer is Starving, denoted on screen by "Stvg", s/he will stop caring about this certain ethic and, derived of the usual excuse, will go ahead and butcher and eat whatever you please.

I conducted this test by, as a human, camping in a human village next to a well, sleeping for 24 hours each time and only waking up to drink until I was starving. I then entered a house and started a fight with the two humans inside. One of them managed to sever off my leg, but I killed both of them. Of course, I found that I could butcher them normally.

The most interesting result of this little experiment was that I found that I could also butcher my own severed leg.

That just doesn't seem right...
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

HerbertWest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A Science Experiment:Butchering Yourself and other Sentients
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:03 am »

Do fava beans exist in DF?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:20:28 am »

About time somebody did some science on this. I've been looking for a convenient way to get severed heads/skulls of big-name quest targets for a while now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:24 pm »

Something I've noticed is that while non-starving adventurers won't butcher sentients, they have no qualms about eating pre-butchered meat. Found some human meat lying around once and ate it just because I could. You should stock up on sentient meat while you can.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:28:13 pm »

I wonder if this will cause civs to wage war because YOU butchered and ate sentient meat.
...How does human meat taste anyway?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 02:12:39 pm »

I hear that elf meat just tastes like soggy, limp lettuce.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:19 pm »

I wonder if this will cause civs to wage war because YOU butchered and ate sentient meat.
Supposedly it's been said to be similar to pork.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »

“It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal.”-William Buehler Seabrook
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:01:32 pm by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »

“It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal.”-William Buehler Seabrook

I don't even...
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:51:52 am »

About time somebody did some science on this. I've been looking for a convenient way to get severed heads/skulls of big-name quest targets for a while now.
oh didn't I make a script for dfhack that allow you to force starve yourself? on top of that use it to butcher and cook human meat into a stew?
oh yeah.
okay so I didn't write a script to make the butchered meat cookable(remove the dead dwarf item flag via gm-editor) just made it so that you can stave yourself.
though I do remember posting a script in some similar thread.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 03:59:30 am »

problem with using this method to butcher sentients is that starvation comes with a extreme cost to combat rolls. You will almost always miss and die in combat, and never get any good hits available even if youre legendary in a skill if your to the point of starving.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:39:58 am »

problem with using this method to butcher sentients is that starvation comes with a extreme cost to combat rolls. You will almost always miss and die in combat, and never get any good hits available even if youre legendary in a skill if your to the point of starving.
that's why starving yourself is only good for crafting or butchering corpses for items at the safety of a hamlet.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »

Pretty sure you can just kill the dude and take their corpse to your lair, starve in safety, then butcher them.

Also did I read that right in that once you've butchered a sentient while starving, you no longer need to be starving to butcher sentients?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:08 am »

Pretty sure you can just kill the dude and take their corpse to your lair, starve in safety, then butcher them.

Also did I read that right in that once you've butchered a sentient while starving, you no longer need to be starving to butcher sentients?

Urist: Uhm, well... it did not taste that bad, though... maybe I should... eat a little more :)
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 12:03:51 am »

Nope. Tried this yesterday, was on the edge of being Very Hungry and Starving.

You can only butcher sentients if you are starving. If you go above that, then "You are not hungry enough to do that". Killed a mass of peasants via proxy then starved myself. =dherim sausage pie= anyone?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2