Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Questions about an idea for a CPU-friendly fortress  (Read 3092 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about an idea for a CPU-friendly fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:09:02 pm »

Dump it out with dbd.  Isolated, Forbidden items may not check pathing, but they're like a time-bomb waiting for an excuse to spam-cancel your fort if you ever un-forbid them by mistake...

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »

I've experimented with my earlier idea with the 7x7x7 layout. I set up 6 'cubes' on either side of 3 wide hallway. I originally wanted to have 6 cubes branch of a central 7x7 cube this would have been more efficient, but I was struggling to figure out how to connect the apartment levels to this central area so I gave up and used a hallway.

It is a very efficient layout. I actually ended up with more space then I knew what to do with, the textile industry being the only one needing so many levels and workshops and stockpiles. Most industries just need 3 or 4 levels and products were churned out at a rate greater then I could replace raw materials. To me, the whole set up looked pretty crap, aesthetics wise. Turns out I really dislike staircases going through the middle of stockpiles and through workshops and in the middle of narrow hallways. I like being able to lock dwarves into their workshops when they go insane and lock and forbid stockpiles to keep dwarves from pathing into them.

Ran into a lot of shortages of stone, with 7 layers of mudstone and using blocks I didn't have enough to build an aboveground fortress with the same footprint as the rest of the fort and nobody likes multi-colored aboveground structures.

Mining wasn't as big a problem as I thought it would be, I just worked one mine at a time, mass dbd'd everything down to the forges when it was done and walled it up. Definitely implement some kind of safety system with that ore chute next time, had a lot of furnace operators killed when ore was being dumped.

I'm sketching out a revised version with no stairways in individual rooms, but I end up tweaking it until it's no longer very efficient and haulers are crawling all over each other to get through workshop doors and whatever.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:57:58 pm »

Oops, double post.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:29:35 am by DWC »

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

I've got a question on a certain layout.

Basicly the idea would be to have bedrooms, workshops and storerooms laid out on top of each other, each level around a central area like a central stockpile for the storerooms or a big dining room on the bedroom layer. The main staircase would be in the centre of this central area. Each room would be on a corridor the travels along one strait path to the central area for that level and there'd be a multi-z level staircase in each room connecting them together. This would only be used for some of the workshops. So basicly the carpenter bedrooms would be above the carpenter workshops, which would be above the carpenter stockpiles. The carpenter bedroom would have a strait path to the central dining room on the same z-level once outside the door in the corridor. Other bedrooms may be in the corridor which link to other workshops.

Down the staircase in the bedroom you'd find the carpenter workshop. I'm not sure what would be in the central room on this level. If I can't think of one would it be better to still have a corridor to the central staircase or have dwarves enter and exit through the stockpile or bedroom doorways [assuming the entire layout isn't crap of course].

below this would be the stockpiles for the specific profession. The central room would be a huge stockpile that may or may not be the main stockpile for the fort. The stockpile for t for the raw materials would take from the central stockpile until full and the finished items would either be placed in another stockpile or taken directly to the central stockpile. The artisan dwarves using the workshops may or may not have the hauling labours turned off. There also may be dedicated haulers with bedrooms with the crafters above.
Pages: 1 [2]