Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Coal/Lignite?  (Read 9572 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
No Coal/Lignite?
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »

I can never find Lignite or Bituminous Coal in any of my sites.
..?
Are they specified to certain regions like mountains or something?

Thanks in Advance--
AlwayzL3git
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Coal/Lignite?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:29:33 pm »

Iirc, there's no guaranteed location for Bituminous coal or Lignite. You're better off either using wood for charcoal, or use DFhacks 'prospect all' command before you pick your embark location.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »

Iirc, there's no guaranteed location for Bituminous coal or Lignite. You're better off either using wood for charcoal, or use DFhacks 'prospect all' command before you pick your embark location.
I did so, but I can never find any. I found some once, but that was a long time ago.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:07:27 pm »

If I understand correctly, lignite and bituminous coal are most likely to appear in sedimentary layers, near the surface.  They're pretty uncommon in my experience, but that may simply be due to the types of biomes where I tend to embark.

Of course, increasing the mineral frequency setting (or decreasing the mineral scarcity setting, if you use advanced world gen) should help.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:51:58 pm »

I have a suspicion that coal is more common in the sorts of places that aquifers are common.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »

I also usually see more coal in areas with aquifers. In my experience it is quite rare to find coal in regions with no aquifer unless you change world-gen parameters.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:34:26 pm »

consider embarking with 100 or more bit coal rocks at the start, for me those only cost 3 points each, and can be made into 9 coke with a magma forge each. Which makes 900 coke for steel, and more than you'll ever need.

You can then make and melt steel leggings for a 150% return while training up a legendary armorsmith or 2.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:17:04 pm »

I have a suspicion that coal is more common in the sorts of places that aquifers are common.
I also usually see more coal in areas with aquifers. In my experience it is quite rare to find coal in regions with no aquifer unless you change world-gen parameters.

Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition - there is absolutely no link between coal and aquifers in DF.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:43:06 pm »

I find that the best solution (especially since the mining/smelting change) is to buy coal on embark and use that supply until you hit magma. It's only 3 embark points per stone, and if mineral scarcity is set somewhat low then there's a very good chance that any given civilization will have access to coal or lignite.

Edit: Oh god, didn't read two posts up. What Catsup said. :P

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 04:49:09 am »

Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition - there is absolutely no link between coal and aquifers in DF.

Aside from correlation; aquifers are typically found in sedminentary-heavy embarks, which is the same with coal.

You're very unlikely to find any coal at all. Your best bet is deforestation for charcoal, and ordering wood, refined coal, and coal rocks off the dwarven caravans.
Even then, you'll burn through it like crazy after a while. My current fort had a few veins of lignite and bituminous coal, but I ended up burning through the lot in steel production after a few years, and I'm back to clearcutting the forest.

Consider yourself lucky this is DF2012. In 40d, it was hard to find magma at all. I once had a fort with a military in all steel, refined the hard way with charcoal all the way from ore to finished item.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:30 am »

I have NEVER made a magma forge. I usually have a nice set-up using a metalsmith's area when I was new, and it worked well. I have never tried to... reforge it!
HA!
Excuse my silly puns.  :P

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »

If you embark with running water, it will be sedimentary and it will have lignite/coal.  Add clay, increase the quantity and percentage (dunno why, just does, gets you sand, too, should you want it; you can leave soil on Search as N/A; look for clay, you'll get soil and sand).  Set "minerals to everywhere" and you'll have more than enough coal and lignite in a sed biome to not care if you find magma or not (which is clearly not in the spirit of the embark).
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »

My suggestion, if your parent civ does have access to coal on embark, it means some subregion they occupy has coal in it's sedimentary layers.

Before I did the cheaty-face DFhack thing, I'd copy the region I wanted to play, had a custom embark profile (Royal engineer Corps) with 7 miners and I'd poke around in the ground in interesting embark areas to see what was there before going to my unadulterated profile and embarking for real. All the ore and stuff will be in the exact same places.

I also turn the volcanism parameter to max=o because it tends to dramatically reduce the number of good embarks by replacing sedimentary layers with vile gabbro and whatever else.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 01:18:44 am »

Coal just isn't that common. If you want better chances of coal, I think you can modify worldgen settings to make more sedimentary layers.
If you embark with running water, it will be sedimentary and it will have lignite/coal.
What makes you say this? Pretty sure it isn't accurate.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 04:25:47 am »

it isn't, but technically speaking, you possibly have more chances on finding sedimentaries near rivers. Even though that might be true, that is still no guarantee at all to have lignite or coal
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2