Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 131006 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #900 on: September 15, 2020, 04:04:14 pm »

Well, the latest update fixed the designer lockup.

Supposedly. Now the main game executable is giving permissions errors again. Oddly, the Commander app runs, it's just the game that doesn't work. The launcher just closes, not even getting to the menu to access the designer, primordial world, or main game. PRE-EDIT: Oh, and the mail program also does this now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 15, 2020, 08:36:19 pm »

Hm, that is how I remember the game running back during that time I tried it while it was free.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 15, 2020, 11:26:22 pm »

Yep, it's a wild ride. I've started getting crashes since now I have warp tech, and some people get crashes when going through systems transitions when flying through deep space.
This means I get a crash every few minutes with my explorer.

I may just coast for now and wait a bit until at least this issue is resolved. The server issues are being tackled one by one it seems like, as today one more server locking issue was resolved.
Still, game's not a smooth ride at all. As always, it's as good as it's terrible. :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 16, 2020, 04:19:22 pm »

Well, it's finally letting me into the designer... which is beyond my ability to use. *sigh*

Thought I was getting a basic house designed, only I can't figure out how to put doors or windows. And when I tried to preview what I had, it crashed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »

You just..tried to jump into the crazy Designer with no info about it and thought you could...do...anything?
Pure madness.

I don't think anyone can do much on it unless at least watching the first tutorial by the developer on it.
Maybe the window tutorial is on it or on the next one, dunno.

I feel like it all comes down to getting used and learning how to move the grid around, and when to enable/disable the different grid-snapping options.
After that is learned, it's still janky but at least you can get some stuff done, and becomes a matter of learning other specifics.

Right now, I only add or remove Control Stations from ships and and maybe add a Control Panel for a system, but I don't do any designing on it or I feel like it would make me go mad.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 17, 2020, 05:23:42 pm »

I'm too bad at design so I just use the blueprints :P I liked the old system better, could actually use it for my pea sized brain. The new design uses too much math and geometry stuff and my brain turns off with that. Hated geometry in school, hate it in games lol. Maybe one day I'll make something though.

On the positive side, I manually flew to the moon, landed (hard), built an airport terminal, got a biodome, planted a flag (I forgot a flag to begin with...) and colonized the moon :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 17, 2020, 07:47:51 pm »

I watched the 40 minute tutorial video(it does cover windows) and realized a lot of things I was doing wrong, yet I still can't place a door. Note I'm building a simple house, not a simple spaceship, but it's mostly the same. I've got the general structure of the house as one hull mesh, with a total of 4 room meshes inside. Each room mesh is 0.2m inside the hull, and 0.1m apart from each other, meaning those walls are that thick, plus some space(I think 0.1m) above the bottom of the hull mesh. I haven't done the room voids yet. I've placed a door jig but when I cut it, it doesn't place a door.

PRE-EDIT: Oof, figured it out, I have to select the door jig, hull mesh, and room mesh for it to place the door. I only had the hull and door jig selected.

I too prefer the old ways, because it was far more accessible, though my ships were always pancake-shaped. I totally see how this makes better-looking ships, though. Maybe one day there will be an "easy mode" designer that does some of the more routine stuff(like placing doors and rooms/room voids) automatically, but can then be edited in detail using the current designer. That said, I actually enjoyed geometry in school.

EDIT: This is starting to irritate me. Had to restart this one simple project several times due to some issue I couldn't figure out. Last time, I restarted because I thought I had made the door too small to fit through - I didn't, I figured out during this attempt that you need two hull voids, a small one co-mingling with the doorway room void while slightly sticking outside and another stretching outwards and co-mingling with the door hull void. The attempt before that I restarted because of some issue with the interior door cuts causing a big grey box(possibly part of the hull mesh or room mesh) in the middle of the room. This attempt has a similar issue with part of either the hull or room projecting over one of the bedroom doors. It doesn't have collision, but it does block clicking on the door in preview mode to open(I'm using standard instead of autodoors).

Also, 10cm-thick walls isn't thick enough to stop you from sticking your face through the wall. A quick lookup says that real-life walls are about 12cm-13cm thick.

EDIT2: Almost threw this attempt out because a door decided that it no longer wanted to exist. Had to use a roundabout method to replace it: copied the room void that went through the door, scaled it down to fit the entryway, then Part->Make->Door, and the new room void is now a door. Which for some reason was an object with partial(not total) transparency. And there's a 1cm gap between the top of the door and the doorframe, that I don't feel like fixing it. My own RL bedroom door has bigger gap.

Now the house is, for all intents and purposes, a 2-person medium house, I've started adding models of furniture to the bedrooms. Considering that, for the most part, my 3D modeling experience is limited to the past couple of days of using SoH's designer, I'm a bit proud of the results.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only problem I'm having now is doing models for the bathroom. I don't know how to make a bowl-shaped object, useful for either the sink or toilet. Also, is there a way to save a mesh to use for other designs? And also, a 20cm-thick wall still isn't enough to keep your head from poking through.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:30:20 pm by Akura »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 21, 2021, 10:13:37 am »

Welp, its dead Jim. Just in case somebody here cares  :P
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shores_of_Hazeron/comments/l1yx2v/shores_of_hazeron_has_been_shutdown/

From the little I've read about it the planned single player version that was to be released on Steam is probably also going the way of the Dodo, at least it doesn't sound very hopeful.

Well, it has been a fun 11~ish years.

EDIT:
Of course there is an update 10 minutes after I post this.
Single player Hazeron on Steam is still likely to be released.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:28:56 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 21, 2021, 12:27:46 pm »

You know, “eccentric” really doesn’t even begin to describe Haxus.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 21, 2021, 01:39:55 pm »

I guess it was always going to end this way.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 21, 2021, 02:53:17 pm »

Well, considering he is in the US, old, retired military and white...and holds certain views on covid (as in, he doesnt believe it or at least its an overreaction) from what I remember of him in discord some time back, and think someone posted about it in this thread somewhere. And yeah this is bringing up politics and may not be entirely needed...though...

Funny timing with the inauguration that just happened

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 21, 2021, 04:23:16 pm »

Well that sucks. The last information I had was that they were staying f2p until Hazeron Starship released, then return to $10/month subs. Guess that ain't happening.

As a concept, Hazeron was good. If I had the talent(and boy, I wish I had the talent), I'd try to make a similar game.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 21, 2021, 05:17:54 pm »

Hazeron feels (felt?) more like Dwarf Fortress in that regard — it’s less about the talent, but rather the sheer dedication, willpower, and patience. Not that talent isn’t involved, but it isn’t the main factor.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 21, 2021, 06:06:23 pm »

Eh, wait a year to see if it sticks.  It's not like this is the first time that Shores of Hazeron went dark and then was reborn.  You can't keep a good game down.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 21, 2021, 07:01:57 pm »

Really enjoyed my time playing way back when, before the new designer. Remember spending a month or two building up with some friends and creating a small empire.

I tried to come back and play again a few times but there was a lot fewer people, so it wasn't as fun. The last time I tried, I ran into the new designer and struggled for a few days bashing my head against it, before noping out. I think keeping the older designer operational would have helped a lot. It was much simpler to use and would have been fine for most people.

The new one really required specific skills and was more a CAD designer (a buggy and non-intuitive one at that) that suddenly made the effort required to design a ship rise up into the stratosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65