Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 129330 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #930 on: March 05, 2022, 10:20:44 pm »

I think he would have been better off adding some smoothing options to the old designer so you could smooth the hull and make it look pretty.

Whats the chance he tries to implement VR and chase that down the rabbit hole?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 06, 2022, 07:13:20 am »

snip
Pretty sure that at this point the entire format of how ships and buildings are saved and processed in-game are completely different from the old designer. Not impossible, necessarily, to make an editor that feels like the old one, but converts it into the current format, but I don't see anyone taking the time for that.
Oh of course. That was more me whining and less making an actionable complaint. The old designer is dead and buried underneath the corpses of the sex-generated demiavatars(?). Man.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 06, 2022, 09:04:17 am »

At this point, I want an easy-mode editor too.

Had to re-do that basic shuttle I'm working on from scratch. I had made the cockpit and rear sections as separate hull pieces which, looking at my previous designs, may or may not have done. Likewise with the room parts. No matter what I did, trying to create a path between both resulting in an ugly patch of wall blocking the way out from the cockpit, whether that was from one of the hull walls, room walls, both, or something.

Tossed it out, started anew, using a singular, slightly more complicated extrusion. Got the cockpit to a really good shape, both the hull and room, almost got the window the way I wanted it, but satisfied enough with what I got. Now I'm trying to add the access door. A basic door is simple enough(relatively speaking), it's raised off the ground enough that I want to put a ramp that deploys when the door is open. Or rather, give the illusion that part of the door becomes the ramp. By default, the door simply disappears when "open". Now, the wiki says, in multiple places that you can add geometry(and collision) for the door with it's open(like, the door is swung open), but at no point does it say how.

PRE-EDIT: Well, I did just figure out a way to do that. Was not intuitive.

Explanation: You have to select the door(and put it in the correct state), activate Face Mode(which lets you select and edit individual corners, edges, and faces). The go, on the drop-down menus, Face->Add->Extrusion (or one of the other parts). The reason it's not intuitive is that normally Face Mode does not let you create geometry that way.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Finished that shuttle. (click to show/hide)

Now the most difficult part of design process: coming up with a name.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 08:21:09 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 24, 2022, 11:55:08 pm »

I knew it was gonna be back, but wasn't expecting it to be so soon. If it wasn't for the designer, I'd jump back in just for the nostalgia. But I'm already holding my impulse of going into website and trying to brute-force my own account to discover my password, just so I can kill Targoss one more time..
I applaud Akura for still playing it and dealing with it.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 25, 2022, 04:08:22 am »

Eh, I kind of burnt out on it already. Plus, some of the bug reports I'm seeing now, such as ships being yeeted across the universe, has put me off on actually starting the game a little.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 25, 2022, 10:37:12 pm »

Eh, I kind of burnt out on it already. Plus, some of the bug reports I'm seeing now, such as ships being yeeted across the universe, has put me off on actually starting the game a little.

Strange. Bugs like that would have me MORE eager to play.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 27, 2022, 09:11:34 am »

Let me clarify that bug.

It sends you thousands of hours out... but you are still registered in the same solar system. So you can't use it to hop somewhere different, instead if you want to keep your ship you have to travel nearly ALL the way back to the solar system before you can phase into another system.

A non-warp ship I had that suffered this ended up around 1648 hours away from the nearest planet in the same system.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 27, 2022, 09:23:29 am »

Just self-destruct your ship and respawn it at a airport repair shop.

bateau-de-coal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 28, 2022, 11:07:16 pm »

Very interesting game, but difficult and confusing, much more so than even the first time I played DF. I died two times and got stuck upon respawn each time. The first time I was stuck under a hill. I escaped by making a jump. The second time I saw the Earth with a quivering white shell... I seemed to be floating outside the planet like a satellite. I can't get back to the land now.

I got back by exiting the game and entering again. I have two knives, one in each hand, but there's no knife in the bottom right corner of the screen. Am I wielding them?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:13:47 pm by bateau-de-coal »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 28, 2022, 11:28:59 pm »

Very interesting game, but difficult and confusing, much more so than even the first time I played DF. I died two times and got stuck upon respawn each time. The first time I was stuck under a hill. I escaped by making a jump. The second time I saw the Earth with a quivering white shell... I seemed to be floating outside the planet like a satellite. I can't get back to the land now.

I got back by exiting the game and entering again. I have two knives, one in each hand, but there's no knife in the bottom right corner of the screen. Am I wielding them?

Yeah the game got me too confused tbh when I came back. I figured it out so easily the last time I played. And the game is the same as far as I know when I last played (both pre-ship design and post-ship design). So only thing that must have changed is me. Was too confused on how to play so I stopped tbh.

Last time I played though, did really well, had a bunch of planets and was fun. Dunno why couldn't even figure out the basics this time around.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 01, 2022, 12:51:08 am »

Note that if you spawn east cluster, Syndicate is active there and vassalizing everybody.

Bit of a mixed bag as that goes, some join up pretty readily, others are hiding out, one guy ran away from his blown up home system after refusing to sign up in a lone battlestar.  Its producing a degree of entertainment due to the activity corresponding to that, but you should be advised.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 01, 2022, 03:45:00 am »

I'm on a remote location currently doing a bit of a search for a Ringworld, while farming for Officers and looking out for high quality materials.
Feel free to post questions here and I will aid if I can!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 01, 2022, 11:39:23 am »

I'm on a remote location currently doing a bit of a search for a Ringworld, while farming for Officers and looking out for high quality materials.
Feel free to post questions here and I will aid if I can!
How get game?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 01, 2022, 12:31:18 pm »

Wait, this game is still kicking around? Thought it died went pay to play then died again. How is it these days?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 01, 2022, 01:53:20 pm »

How get game?

For accounts, here
For download, here

Wait, this game is still kicking around? Thought it died went pay to play then died again. How is it these days?
More or less the same? Probably more stable than you'd think in some areas, with some new issues - as it always were, stuff gets fixed but even weirder stuff may come out of it.
All in all, I always had the worse lag from everyone I knew yet I'm playing fine for the most part.

The only current big issue for me is "quantum yeeting", where your ship gets thrown to the middle of nowhere, for no reason, and the only solution is to self-destruct it and lose everyhing on it.
You can still respawn it (without cargo or crew), but it really ruins plans or fun some times.
Some people never get it. Some, like me, get it a lot. I'm still trying to find ways to reproduce it or at least a hint of what could cause it - currently I suspect its due to certain Space Station designs, but no clue if true.

Other than quantum yeeting and occasional weirdness - prime component of the Hazeron experience - I'm having a good time.

E: Oh also, I've killed the Asteroid manually for the first time - previous times it either disappeared on its own or got killed by my defenses - and I discovered that giving a ship the Follow Order to follow it may just make the ship decide to suicide itself in the name of the Empire. Destroys the Asteroid, destroyrs your ship, and ejects you into space along with the body of your crewmates to watch the asteroid breaking up up close. Fun times.

E2: Fixed my derp with the links. Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 06:18:23 pm by Gabeux »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65