Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 130959 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #960 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:39 am »

As I'm in China, steam is blocked 9 out of 10 times. Popular ones like EVE seem to be all blocked, too.

Ever considered moving to a free country? As for your question, Oolite is a cool, open source clone of Elite, you may find it interesting.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Porjate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 04, 2023, 07:25:56 pm »

A little bit late, but Hazeron Starship - the exclusively single player version of Shores of Hazeron, has been released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2239520/Hazeron_Starship/
Not too much different from the old MMO, obviously minus the multiplayer and most of the lag. The new designer is still a bit of a PITA and the new DNA system for humans isn't entirely implemented.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 05, 2023, 12:11:26 pm »

A little bit late, but Hazeron Starship - the exclusively single player version of Shores of Hazeron, has been released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2239520/Hazeron_Starship/
Not too much different from the old MMO, obviously minus the multiplayer and most of the lag. The new designer is still a bit of a PITA and the new DNA system for humans isn't entirely implemented.

Love it or hate it, I bought it as soon as you posted cause it flew past me didn't even show up on my steam anywhere for recommendations lol.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 06, 2023, 06:08:41 pm »

Doesn't look like Haxus changed much of anything at all. I was able to load one of my old ship designs into the editor with no problem, except I had to fix a design error I made. The main cannon was a kinetic gun, not energy, why did I do that?

The... default characters got some underwear, but the female default's nipples pop right out if you increase the breast size. Yes, I did test that. I did not test if Haxus removed mating. Hopefully so, it was unnecessarily creepy, says the guy who was playing with breasts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 06, 2023, 06:38:37 pm »

Oh, Shores of Hazeron. I used to play it alot. I assume the servers haven't been brought back online?

I did not test if Haxus removed mating. Hopefully so, it was unnecessarily creepy, says the guy who was playing with breasts.
Oh haha.  A funny thing about that. I actually got a suggestion related to that feature implemented. It only mattered while the game was still multiplayer. Basically here's how the whole mating system worked, i think: the child resulting from mating was added to the female character player's account. However, you could mate with non-player characters. I think if the female was not an Avatar, the child just joined the mother's civ/colony and wasn't given to player control.
My suggestion in this, to Haxus, was to credit the child to the male character's player's account in the case of a player/non-player pairing where the player's character was male. The kicker was that the child in question remained in the same empire as it's mother.

It was in the next patch note, right after the mating feature was implemented. I don't know if that little sneaky feature stuck around. :P
It was a cool little thing, basically. My little contribution to the absolute insanity that was Shores of Hazeron.

As for it being creepy...  *shrug* Different strokes for different folks i guess. The idea of breeding up a bunch of hybrid super-avatars was pretty appealing. The feature had a function, that's all that matters.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

Porjate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 06, 2023, 07:24:26 pm »

Oh, Shores of Hazeron. I used to play it alot. I assume the servers haven't been brought back online?
No, I think they are permanently down at this point. I'm not sure if Haxus ever plans to revive the MMO or even implement multiplayer into this single player version.
And mating was removed from the game to prevent an adult rating being applied on the Steam store or something like that. Which is why the underwear for GenIV characters exists now too.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 07, 2023, 03:14:36 pm »

It was definitely an err.. interesting design choice. You can accomplish breeding stuff without the animations and nudity, but then again, it wasn't that detailed anyways. Felt more pythonic than anything.

I might take a look, but tbh most of the appeal of Hazeron was multi-player, even if the sum of my experience with it was building a civ over a week, developing warp drive, and getting immediately glassed by another empire. lol

Maybe some modded/unofficial servers get hacked in. The code seems ancient though and the original stability issues for what should be a pretty basic game raises serious questions as to the state of the project when it was pulled. (No hate towards Haxus, it was obviously a passion project and there's no expectations there for me, but there were some serious issues under the hood for sure.)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 07, 2023, 04:08:55 pm »

If the game design rewards you for mating with every alien species you come across then that should probably be the focus of the game and not just a side feature. And if that's not in fact the focus of the game then it makes some sense to remove the feature! :p
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 08, 2023, 09:25:33 pm »

Yes, to be clearer, I was saying having that in the game in the first place was quite strange.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 29, 2024, 09:24:13 am »

I think it's strange that Haxus haven't go similar road to Wurm. Steam version has client and server available and public server register integrated (I think it's privately ran servers, not running as some steam service, as they are definitely privately managed).

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 29, 2024, 05:26:32 pm »

Woah wait, you can get your own server for Wurm?

Although, unless they changed it, I remember that game being terribly grindy... I mean, how can you fail at digging a hole!

I remember failing constantly at digging when I tried to play due to having too low a skill or something.  It was ridiculous... like I had to dig 50 times for a single success.

I'm like... uh I can teach my toddler how to dig faster than that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 29, 2024, 06:04:15 pm »

If you get a Critical Failure at digging, do you get a new Skylight?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 30, 2024, 11:15:27 am »

There is Wurm Unlimited on steam. It has one time payment instead of subscription and you can play offline or on moddable(including simple %rates configuration) privately owned server, for which steam client keeps a registry for. Who is actual hardware host and if there is any monetization of hosting the server or being in official register - I don't know. They are free for players.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 30, 2024, 01:08:16 pm »

Although, unless they changed it, I remember that game being terribly grindy... I mean, how can you fail at digging a hole!

I remember failing constantly at digging when I tried to play due to having too low a skill or something.  It was ridiculous... like I had to dig 50 times for a single success.

I'm like... uh I can teach my toddler how to dig faster than that.
Digging never failed, however you were prevented from digging at 3x slope of your digging skill. You needed to mine 50 times to destroy a tile inside a mine though.
But yeah we had a few Wurm expeditions.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #974 on: March 11, 2024, 12:08:08 pm »

There is Wurm Unlimited on steam. It has one time payment instead of subscription and you can play offline or on moddable(including simple %rates configuration) privately owned server, for which steam client keeps a registry for. Who is actual hardware host and if there is any monetization of hosting the server or being in official register - I don't know. They are free for players.

1. It's against the license to monetize the WU server, I guess they don't want a competition to the MMO portion of it.
2. The hardware is provided by the server owner (either personal hardware or some VPS/dedicated)
3. Wurm Unlimited is outdated compared to Online, they haven't updated it in a while, where Online got several QoL features such as better looking trees or gameplay improvements.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]