Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating creatures, items, etc.  (Read 1039 times)

Emperor Wofly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating creatures, items, etc.
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:58:27 pm »

Possibly dumb question, can I create creatures just by using raws? What I mean is, I saw the raws and wondered if I could create creatures and civilizations just by creating a new list of raws.
Woof woof motherfucker.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Creating creatures, items, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:21 pm »

Yep!  That's pretty much how 99% of modding works.  Any files that begin with an appropriate OBJECT token that you dump in the raw/objects folder will get read by the game when you create a new world.

Emperor Wofly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:01 pm »

Cool! I'm going to make some freaks of nature now, how about a creature made of gas?
Woof woof motherfucker.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:28:22 pm »

Yep, that's definitely possible.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »

Cool! I'm going to make some freaks of nature now, how about a creature made of gas?

o: So, for your own reference, I have three links:

Questions thread
DF Wiki - Contains nice things
Project: Modder's Resource - Has everything. Hugo's offline wiki rip, specific question threads (Ex: Reactions questions), the community interaction repository, etc...

Should get you started o3o; I really recommend the wiki rip though, it contains direct links to various useful pages, saves a very large amount of time. And lots of tabs, it saves those too. Also, one final note, don't be afraid to look at other's source. As long as you don't steal large quantities of other people's raws and call them you own *cough* Masterwork *cough*, it's perfectly acceptable to learn by example via other's raws.

Nevertheless, have fun~!
'ere the Chias get hungry...