Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I Make New Procedurally Generated Creatures?  (Read 2711 times)

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:BLIGHT] [SPHERE:DEFORMITY] [SPHERE:MURDER]
    • View Profile
How do I Make New Procedurally Generated Creatures?
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »

Alright, so basically what I want to do is define parameters like a titan or forgotten beast and then [MEGABEAST] it. Thing is, I don't know how to make new random creatures.
And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How do I Make New Procedurally Generated Creatures?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

I think you should check out the creature_token article of the wiki, it has a lot of stuff for you.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:32:53 pm »

It says that generated, titan, feature_beast, demon and unique_demon cannot be specified in user-generated raws. I've also looked at the articles for all of the procedurally generated creatures and I can't find anything suggesting a way for me to make my own. Am I missing something? Or were you just saying that I can't make these?
And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:35:03 pm »

Oh. Forgot about that bit of info. Well... I bet someone better could explain better to you. I don't think you can, I just copied the bronze colossi raws and changed it to suit my needs. Going to do the same for a phoenix.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:37:16 pm »

Alright, so basically what I want to do is define parameters like a titan or forgotten beast and then [MEGABEAST] it. Thing is, I don't know how to make new random creatures.

You can't make your own creatures that will procedurally generate at world gen.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 01:50:53 pm »

Wow, that's a real bummer. No one's ever achieved it? Where is the data for that kept, anyway? And Masterwork doesn't get into that at all?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 02:00:06 pm »

Which are you looking for, roughly - new types of randomly generated creatures (such as random dragons), or differently-generated creatures of existing kinds (such as changing up how demons work)? Neither can be done through raw modding. Some outside utilities can generate random creatures - Masterwork uses one of those, created by Talvieno I believe, for the first and sort of the latter. There may be a DFHack script or something in that vein that allows you to change the generated raws in a save for the latter.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:26:15 am »

I think the first option best describes what I wanted to do. Really what I want is to create a big humanoid creature that can randomly have gills or tentacles or wings or fins or what-have-you, and stick a megabeast token on it. Also, being able to create a couple new spheres would be fantastic as well.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:14 am »

I think the first option best describes what I wanted to do. Really what I want is to create a big humanoid creature that can randomly have gills or tentacles or wings or fins or what-have-you, and stick a megabeast token on it. Also, being able to create a couple new spheres would be fantastic as well.

If you don't mind using DFHack, I'm pretty sure you could write a LUA script that creates a few new raw files with your custom creatures, materials, bodyparts and whatever you need that runs each time you launch DF. If the files already exist, you could simply make the script overwrite them. If you create multiple worlds in the same session, they'd have the same creatures, but if you restart DF every time you create a new world, you'd get random ones in each world.

It would be awesome if we could make the script run each time we start genning a new world, but that's not possible just yet, unless you know your way around memory hacking.

Is there any way to execute a script when world gen starts? ...
Currently there is no way of doing that. ...
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:00 am »

Or a python script that doesn't need DFHack in the first place, or any other programming/scripting language.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 01:09:17 pm »

Or a python script that doesn't need DFHack in the first place, or any other programming/scripting language.
You mean like the ones in your signature? :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »

They're a bit broader than Orgeston wants, but yes. Or Talvieno's once it's updated.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »

Alright, thanks for the info, guys.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:34 am »

True, it's just that I think it's pretty convenient to have DFHack run the script whenever you launch the game, to get new, interesting random creatures every time. This might be possible with other scripts too, though - or you could create a program that first generates the raws, then launches the game. :)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".