Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Mouse plugin, now with live "Look on hover" mode + more point & click support  (Read 46949 times)

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Getting there bit by bit :)

Just uploaded a new version that should now move the cursor in Zones, Stockpiles, Burrows, Squads, Points and Routes mode. I think that covers nearly every case, though I've probably missed a couple. They are enabled with the "etrack" command too.

What did you mean by "building before choosing what to build"?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:19:46 am by falconne »
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

The journey is glorious, and the destination legendary. 

If I hit 'b' and nothing else, the cursor is not tracked - hit something else (say 'b' again to place a bed) and the mouse starts moving the cursor.  Just odd if for example you're placing bedrooms and stop placing beds, then can't edge-scroll until you start placing cabinets. 

I've also had inconsistent behaviour with the edge-scrolling - it works in d/b/k/q/t/v and also in N/s/i - but not w for burrows.  This made me think that maybe the commands could be tweaked, so that 'track' enabled cursor movement, and 'etrack' seperately enabled edge-scrolling - some people might just want one (HFS, I'd try it out for a while - edge-scrolling can overshoot after all). 

My only complaint is that my internet at home is so crappy that it is literally impossible to finish the upload of a new LNP version with this included - I did one at uni today, and the next will be tomorrow.  First world problems ;-)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I hit 'b' and nothing else, the cursor is not tracked - hit something else (say 'b' again to place a bed) and the mouse starts moving the cursor.  Just odd if for example you're placing bedrooms and stop placing beds, then can't edge-scroll until you start placing cabinets. 
Ah, well before you select a building the cursor is not active ingame. Even if I force it to display a cursor in that mode, moving it won't scroll the map. In that mode you have to right click on the map edges to scroll, just like in default view.

If you think automatic edge scrolling with the mouse even when a cursor is not active would be useful, I could add a special mode for that. Initially I felt that would be a bit annoying, because I have the habit of automatically moving the mouse "out of the way" when I'm done and that would cause accidental scrolling. I suppose people wouldn't do that when playing fullscreen.

I've also had inconsistent behaviour with the edge-scrolling - it works in d/b/k/q/t/v and also in N/s/i - but not w for burrows.  This made me think that maybe the commands could be tweaked, so that 'track' enabled cursor movement, and 'etrack' seperately enabled edge-scrolling - some people might just want one (HFS, I'd try it out for a while - edge-scrolling can overshoot after all). 
The burrows cursor was a bug... it actually shouldn't have been displaying a cursor until you go into burrow designation mode. I've just uploaded a version with this fixed. It was the exact situation I described above, where the plugin forced a cursor to be displayed when the game didn't expect it, which is why it wouldn't scroll. Now the cursor only shows up in burrow designations.

I've also got rid of the extra "etrack" command, now cursor tracking is enabled in all modes with "mousequery track enable".

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

before you select a building the cursor is not active ingame. Even if I force it to display a cursor in that mode, moving it won't scroll the map. In that mode you have to right click on the map edges to scroll, just like in default view.  ... The burrows shouldn't have been displaying a cursor until you go into burrow designation mode.
Derp.  I don't even know where this came from, mouse fortress behaves in exactly the same way.  /facepalm

I've also got rid of the extra "etrack" command, now cursor tracking is enabled in all modes with "mousequery track enable".
Nice - this does make a little more sense. 

I'd call this feature-complete now, on the basis that it gives the same degree of mouse support as mouse fortress (more stable, more informative, less menus) - but if you're still taking feature requests I'm happy to make suggestions.  OTOH, do whatever you want and I'll be just as happy. 

1) Edge-scrolling without a cursor could be pretty cool, and a separate mode for this to avoid potentially annoying behavior would be useful. 

2) If live view could be made to work when unpaused, that would be awesome - I kinda miss it when I'm watching all the dorfs scurrying around. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:50:43 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, finally got around to uploading a new version that adds those functions.

"mousequery edge enable": Turns on edge scrolling in default view.
"mousequery live enable": Turns on query view while unpaused.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

It's perfect.  Live-live view is awesome, and makes watching life go by so much smoother - and edge scrolling at the same time is so nice. 

I did find one odd behaviour though - while toggling everything to check it before uploading PE-LNP r13, the order in which things are toggled affects the results - specifically, if while track is enabled I toggle edge on/off, track stops edge scrolling.  If track is toggled off/on, it starts again.  Is it meant to do this?  Having edge enabled without track also does not scroll when a cursor is present, which could potentially be frustrate someone who like scrolling but not tracking (not me!).  Of course, none of this is a problem for me, since I just keep it all enabled.  :-)

Thanks!
 Donations here.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I meant to make the plugin force tracking on if you enable active edge scrolling and turn the latter off if you disable tracking. Otherwise there are too many combinations to manage.

Just uploaded a new version that should fix that. Let me know if you see any more oddities.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Awesome.  It's not an exaggeration at all to say that this version of mousequery makes it like playing a different game (particularly with the keybinding changes) - I always have one hand on the mouse and one one the keyboard. 

One oddity is that most of this thread looks like a private conversation, when there should be millions of people praising the ultimate plugin ;-P   
 Donations here.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha well I guess veteran DF players have no use for a mouse and new players probably aren't browsing the modding forum anyway.

BBrutal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello everybody!  I'm a new player and a new forumer.  I was nervous to try DF at first like most people I'm sure, but now I'm hooked.  So I'm also an avid mod user for all my games, and your mouse mod seemed right up my alley. 

Well it's mostly working like gangbusters but I'm having a strange problem.  It seems that the cursor wont follow my mouse on the lower half of the screen.  What I mean is that, if you were to draw an imaginary line from just below the "Space: Resume   .: One-Step" portion of the menu; everything below that doesn't register.  The only solution, it seems, is to resize the window until it is too narrow horizontally for my preference.

Of course, I also have the LNP and DFHack r3.

Despite this one glitch, I am grateful for the work that you've put into this and the other plugins.  They are immensely helpful.

Edit: It seems that the zoom level plays a role, as it won't even register anywhere if I am sufficiently zoomed out with my tiny window.
Last edit: Guess who's a dummy? This guy. It's not you, it's me. In my zeal to have the most custom game around, I decided to attempt to double the tile size with GIMP and it totally threw off the playable game area or something. So thanks for this perfectly operable plugin!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:47:11 pm by BBrutal »

nug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hello, thank you for your awesome mod
do you think it is possible to have a mousequery enable all command for dfhack?
EDIT: Also, is it possible that you could show what a dwarf is currently doing on mouse hover?
thanks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:17:04 pm by nug »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Haha well I guess veteran DF players have no use for a mouse and new players probably aren't browsing the modding forum anyway.

So true. I really tried using the mouse more, but if you already know all the hotkeys, the mouse just slows you down. But I know people like it, from the feedback I have gotten from the modpack, especially the workflow upgrade and the dwarfmonitor/happiness counter, and the searches.

Yeah, well, so almost everything is praised highly. :)

I was wondering: Can you add an info-overlay over items? It always bugged me that a creature has a description that a modder can change, but items do not. Players always see: "This is a superior iron short sword", but they never know any data/values of it. Especially for custom items it would be amazing to have some sort of ingame-info, for example:

Weapon skill used.
Eged or Blunt attack.
Weapon Size.
Minimum Size.
Minimum Size to use one-handed.
What types of ammo it uses.
Ranged/Ammo skill used.
And maybe a general info: This weapon is a 8 on a scale from 1-10. ;)

I think especially new players, or mod-users would benefit from this. So here you go, one free idea to maybe work on. Just in case that you ran out of those by now. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1

I was wondering: Can you add an info-overlay over items? It always bugged me that a creature has a description that a modder can change, but items do not. Players always see: "This is a superior iron short sword", but they never know any data/values of it. Especially for custom items it would be amazing to have some sort of ingame-info, for example:

Weapon skill used.
Eged or Blunt attack.
Weapon Size.
Minimum Size.
Minimum Size to use one-handed.
What types of ammo it uses.
Ranged/Ammo skill used.
And maybe a general info: This weapon is a 8 on a scale from 1-10. ;)

I think especially new players, or mod-users would benefit from this. So here you go, one free idea to maybe work on. Just in case that you ran out of those by now. ;)

This is a dwarven baby, all craftsdwarfship is by unskilled labor.

Melee skill: Warhammer
Melee Damage Type: Blunt
Weapon Size: 10 cm^3
Minimum Size: 50 cm^3
Minimum Size (2h): 90 cm^3
Ammo: Ethanol 
Ranged skill: Throwing
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Ranged skill: Throwing up.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just uploaded a new version with a minor modification. I noticed some people wondering why the mouse painting wasn't working in designation mode when they used the Expanded LNP and they got box selection instead. In this version, the plugin's effects are disabled by default in the designation menu (so the vanilla painting action will work) with an option shown to enable box selection if you want it:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7