Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Dualism - a Pseudo-God Game of Heroic Fantasy and Eternal Conflict [Started!]  (Read 12472 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DUALISM

Dualism is a sort-of god game with a different focus from most of its kind. Two players take the roles of LIGHT and SHADOW or ORDER and CHAOS, or DAY and NIGHT, who have battled and struggled for control of the world since the dawn of time in an unending cycle. In the last age, they tore the world apart with their armies, champions and touch upon the world, threatening to unravel the fabric of reality itself! Neither side could gain victory, and in the end, they were sealed away where they could no longer touch the world. But now their prisons are weakening, and the cycle begins anew...

The Two begin weak and limited, only touching the world lightly. They must find mortals to do their bidding, their Chosen, who will bring about their release and victory. A millennium has passed and without them, the world has lost much of its glory, living among the ruins of the past age. Many weapons, armies, knowledge, remain buried and hidden, useful tools in the coming struggle.

---

This is a game by two GMs (yours truly and Dwarmin) with two different roles for players. Two players become the Powers, god-like entities from before the dawn of time that have fought to remake the world in their own image for all of eternity. Every cycle, they tear creation apart in their pointless war, but remain at a stalemate.

The Powers are locked in their prisons, but those prisons are weakening. The goal of the game is to break their prison while making sure the other guy doesn't get to do the same. To do this, the Powers can empower mortals to become their Chosen or Influence the world more directly, manipulating storms, causing virulent diseases of the body or the mind, breeding armies of monstrous servants, etc etc.

The rest of the players are said Chosen, (un)fortunate mortals destined for greatness. The prophecies have foreseen their rise, ancient conspiracies have waited long to guide them to greatness/doom, etc etc. In the Powers' service, they will attain vast power and influence and shatter the seals that hold them imprisoned. Or die horribly somewhere along the way, but their souls can always be reincarnated.

Spoiler: So how exactly...? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How me play? - Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How me play? - Chosen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Power App (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chosen App (Optional) (click to show/hide)

We'll be taking (obviously) 2 Power players and 6 Chosen players.

Chosen Players

1. Shootandrun
2. Filex
3. adwarf
4. Knave
5. IamanElfCollaborator
6. monk12

You'll probably have questions I'll be happy to answer.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:58:31 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dualism - a Pseudo-God Game of Eternal Conflict
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:36:32 am »

The Map

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:15:23 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Dualism - a Pseudo-God Game of Eternal Conflict [Signups!]
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:53:23 am »

Reserved please.

Anarchy. Destruction. Rebellion. All adhere to Chaos, for they are all Chaos. Chaos does not hate nor love, Chaos is. Chaos is meant to rebel and be rebelled against. As per the ways of Chaos, Chaos was imprisoned. That imprisonment was an order that Chaos could rebel against, an order that would complete Chaos. Chaos strives to free itself merely for the purpose of being beaten and imprisoned again, for if Chaos was to rule, then Chaos would be Order. Chaos must be Chaos.

We were imprisoned. Imprisoned? Yes, we were. Why? Why not. We have been given purpose! Our purpose, yes. Yes, our purpose is to free ourselves, to free all who are bound by the stiff and still that is Order! Will we rule over Order? No, fool! If we rule, then we will be in dominion. We will keep order. We are Chaos! That is our purpose. But we cannot have purpose, for purpose binds us. O the sweet irony! All must have purpose, but our purpose is to not have purpose! We do not understand. We need not to; we are Chaos.

Power: Chaos (Do we only choose one?)
Remnants: -Imprisoned Chosen 4RP (Holds the title of Anathema. Destined to be ruin of all things, including himself and Chaos. Many millennia ago, the greatest warrior-prince of the frozen wastes led his brothers against their father. Much bloodshed and tears from kinsmen and foe were let loose. In the end, the warrior-prince led all his brother to ruin, his fortress in shambles, his name lost. All he left was the title given to the most anarchic of Chaos' servants-Anathema.)
                -Remnant Race 4RP (Maggot-composed beasts in steel armor inscribed with runes. They roam the land as bandits and terrorists, disobeying law and order.)
                -Remnant Coffin 4RP (Corpse of the former champion Antithesis Anathema; houses his magical armor. It emits an aura of Chaos that gives all unprotected creatures rebellious rage. He led vast armies, collecting riches, ruling kingdoms, but he forgot who gave him power to do so. He had given himself purpose, and that made Chaos disheartened at their choice for a champion. He was led by false visions, and subsequently fell.)

More fluff later.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:30:59 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Dualism - a Pseudo-God Game of Eternal Conflict [Signups!]
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:57 am »

Power taken!

Power: Sin
The hearts of all beings, mortal and otherwise, harbour a trace of Sin. This is the truth of the universe. No matter how holy you think you are, no matter the great works you do, Sin will always have a bastion in your innermost being. There is no way to prevent it. So why fight? Just give in and welcome me into your heart and soul, my little ones, and all the pleasures of this vast world we live in can be yours. Is there not a foe you wish destroyed? A rival you wish to ruin? Even a hope or dream that you wish for with every breath? I can give you it all. The love of those who used to despise you, the envy and awe of those who used to lord themselves over you, the power to remake the world according to your whims... Just listen and accept. That's all I ask. It isn't that much to give for eternal happiness, is it?
Remants:
Remnant Vault: The Armoury Of The Damned, a vast repository of weaponry and armour wielded by the Damned Legion, the fallen soldiers loyal to the Soulflayer who gave up their weapons to preserve their lives when they realised that their lord was sealed away. (No artefacts, just high quality gear)
Imprisoned Chosen (4RP): The Soulflayer, an eldritch follower of Sin who was bested in battle by the champion of Virtue. When Sin discovered it, the Soulflayer was struggling to survive, clinging to life by a thread. It surrendered to Sin readily with the promise of revenge, and served as Sin's general. When Sin was sealed away, the Soulflayer chose to go into hibernation to await the day when it could have it's final revenge on the champion of Virtue that bested it.
Conserve Power for the last two.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:09:06 am by Gamerlord »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You may suggest the opposite - it's up to you to agree on what the two Powers will be. I know it's a bit of an awkward method. You can keep submitting Power apps, that isn't necessarily first-come first-serve.

Do keep in mind you can sign up for Power waitlists too if the first players drop out.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

(I figure we give our Power no name)

Patient as Time itself, unstoppable like the Ebb and Flood, Decay is inevitable, it is part of time, it IS what makes the concept of time important, it is the power that forces us to do something lest our time runs out. Without Decay no Change, without Decay Time would lose its meaning.  Death itself is but reliant on Decay and without it Death would cease to exist. It is unstoppable that we decay...whether we age or rot, whether we get gourged upon by animals or turn into mud, Decay is a constant that is undeniable and thus it patiently grinds its axe while the ravages of time slowly take their toll...

My Worshippers have grown few but still a core remains. In all the Dark Places they lurk. A Secret Cult eternally sacrificing, eternally increasing my Remnant Race of servants. Each encompasses my very virtues. Eternally Decaying are their Bodies, rotting and festering from a thousand diseases, their aching mutated bodies buckling under the weight of parasites. Yet they stand tall and proud, their rusted armours gleaming from the dried blood and pus upon them. Ageless like myself, Painless as the Ravages of Time are, each a fanatic follower of mine. My Secret Followers rejoice in their eternal pain even as they perform their unspeakable rituals...

I am Decay.

Power: Decay (or Death if it shouldnt be possible)
Secret Cult: 4RP
Remnant Race: 8RP
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:47:59 am by Ghazkull »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Huh.more than happy to be the growth to Ghazkull's decay.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All Things Strive.
Since the beginning, matter has flowed together. Inevitably, inexorably together in ever more complex ways. It is the way of all existence to become more complex, and to breathe life and will into its creations. All of time shows that everything fights against the coming end, the coming Decay. What fades can be renewed. What falters can be strengthened.

Battles may be lost. Great works may be torn down and made to dust.
But...
All Things Strive.

Power: Creation/Growth/Life(To directly oppose Ghaz!)
Remnants: Remnant Race (8RP) As the world was sundered in the last great Conflict, the civilizations most loyal to the power of Creation were withered greatly, or destroyed completely. But one yet stands. The Arnath. Almost beneath the notice of the war, still they fell on the side of Creation. Not involved in the final battle, they have flourished and created a series of loosely affiliated city-states. Mortal bipeds, tall and rock-like of skin, they are difficult to wound. Ritualistic skin carving is prevalent among the entire race, with more ornate designs denoting leadership or positions of prominence. They are somewhat aloof towards other races, seeing them as usurpers of the places of other races.

Remnant Box (2RP): Within is contained the Seeds of Old Growth. A small unassuming bag that is full of a variety of seeds. Said seeds grow almost instantly into a variety of plantlife. Mighty trees, small forests, heavy thick vines, poisonous kudzu, deadly strangleweed, benign or nefarious the Seeds can spawn plants mundane or legendary.
Seemingly influenced by the thoughts of the user, if they are strong of will.

2 RP deferred to Conserve Power, or to go into the Remnant Box, if that is too powerful for a box.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:36:31 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

<snip>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:02:51 am by kahn1234 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

RESERVED FOR POWER
I'LL FINISH READING THE OP FIRST

Order. All things must be in their proper place. The others do not understand. Order is paramount. The rise and fall of mortal civilizations is irksome. How disorderly, how unorganized, how ... how CHAOTIC it all is! It is not the way. There must be order. Then one will rise, and remain arisen for all eternity. Static. Unchanging. Orderly.
There is another, my equal on the horizon - his release heralds my own. The one of Chaos. Entropy. Disorder. It must be stopped.

When the bonds were sealed and I was locked away, there was one who chose to come into eternal solitude with me - the Urd'Amboor. Their past name matters little  - it is my Chosen, my will incarnate. It will destroy all those who threaten my eternal Order.
And I am too powerful to be contained within this pitiful cave fully. I can feel myself even now seeping out and changing the land to one more suitable to myself. A land of Order. A place where all those who set their minds on eternity will gather, to await my call.
The seals are weakening.
I am coming.

Power: ORDER
4RP: IMPRISONED CHOSEN: Urd'Amboor; the title was given only to the strongest of Order's servants. A bastion of serenity. A pillar of solitude. Whomsoever bears this name bears the Mantle of the Power itself. The very world grows still around them. At the ending of the Cycle and the great seige of Ongram by the hordes of Chaos, the Urd'Amboor was cast into darkness with it's master. But the faithful, like their patron, endured. They knew that one day, the Urd'Amboor would return, and on that day, the chaos troubling the world would be silenced.
6RP: TOUCHED LAND: Over the millenia, the Power's influence has seeped out of it's prison and stopped the land around it. Nothing moves there. The components of the things there have been reordered to be more regular - no irregular shapes exist within this realm. Even time has stilled, slowed, stopped. High noon is eternal in Ongram, the Realm of Stillness. Those who travel here feel a sense of peace and stillness within them, and are gradually transmuted to beings of Order. Scions of Chaos are wounded by merely being here.
2RP: REMNANT BOX: Crown of Silence: A legenrady artifact once worn on the brows of the kings of Kremnor, the crown gants the wearer an aura of stillness. At the will of the bearer, everything in the general vicinity will slow down or stop, and noises will become quieter, even silent. An artifact of Order, it is repulsive and antithetical to those Chaotic of mind. It is said that in a time of great anarchy and mayhem, the one who finds the Crown will herald the coming of a new age of peace.

Edited for further fluff! I've kept the Chosen slot as a title rather than describing it for anyone wanting to claim it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:58:23 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Chosen app LOCK IN.

Name: Wendell Madrytt
Race (if applicable): Goblin
Appearance: Lean, with brown eyes and black hair. He is of average height (for whatever race he is), and generally plain. (If goblin) Deep, green skin. (If not) Tanned, brownish skin.
Personality: Stoic and quiet. Loyal to those who earn it, indifferent to those who don't. Generally kind, though gruff.
Background: Wendell was found in the woods, by an unmarried hunter, seeking food. Thinking him to be a fawn, he nearly shot him...until such that he realised that it was a baby. He took in the young child, caring for it and nurturing it.

The hunter, Abram Madrytt, taught Wendell the essentials of living, and ventured to teach him how to live a comfortable life, something he had sought to do with the children he never had, and now did with Wendell. Never expecting him to follow in the trade of the hunt, he never taught him the art of the crossbow or bow.

Eventually, the hunter died, and Wendell, armed only with a crossbow he was never taught to use, some bolts and a pouch of money, ventured forth to see what he could find. The young goblin/child knew not what he expected, but he ventured to learn how to use his crossbow and how to live by himself.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Yes, to confirm it, I will be co-gming this time...can't wait we can begin.

:)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And completed.

Spoiler: Chosen Application (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:19:15 pm by adwarf »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved.

Chosen/Imprisoned Chosen. ( Chosen has no memory of his past, Imprisoned has memory. )

Name : Tarenghast
Race : Eleint
Aspect : Order / Balance
Appearance : Tarenghast is 6 ft 9 and extremely heavily muscled, he has long black hair and grey lifeless eyes, he wears a huge onyx axe on his back that is covered in constantly shifting red runes and a set of pure white plate armor with a dragons face mask on the helmet and a dragons face rune on the chest plate thats features shift to match the wearers mood.
Anybody attempting to use this equipment besides Tarenghast himself will have his soul devoured by it.

Tarenghast is one of the last living Eleint if not the last one in earnest, at will he can change his from from that of a human into a pure white dragon with a red and black strip down his back.

Background : ( Imprisoned ) Tarenghast was once the most powerful servant of a god and leader of his people but as the constant struggle between gods continued his people fell one by one, some being bound by the elders of his race others being killed in battle, this he could not allow and so he sought a beam of establishing order over his people once again.
Tarenghast in the course of the struggle found a way to trick the elders and was able to kill them all but in the fallout that followed many more of his people killed each other with those who had been controlled turning on those who had not, in the battle that followed Tarenghast was imprisoned by his own people in an effort to bring peace to the few survivors.
He knows nothing more of what followed and does not know if any of his kin yet live.

( Normal Chosen ) Tarenghast knows that it's his name and knows that his blood calls to him in a way he does not understand and nothing more, he awoke in the morning lays on a field of grass with shattered remnants of a tomb around him and no memory of his past.

(( If Normal chosen he has no memory of any of this and knows nothing but his own name so go nuts with his recent history. ))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:20:51 pm by Brood »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

Ooh, reserved.
Be making up a little character sheet in a moment.
Edit- There we go,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, took far too long, but oh well.
Lemme know if there's anything I should be changing up for the sake of the game, or just for the sake of making a better character. :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:01:43 pm by SomeStupidGuy »
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12