Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wargame AirLand Battle: Worth playing?  (Read 10179 times)

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame AirLand Battle: Worth playing?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »

Exactly how powerful is the Armor in-game, I hear that the game is a lot more about dominating the skies than the land now.
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:48:09 am »

You still need land units to secure key positions. Plus air can be countered by AA units.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:04 am »

tanks are the backbone of any good offense, while infantry are needed to really clear out forests and cities, their also excellent at holding the same. Air, and I mean heli's and planes are the breakthrough kings, air can even take out AA guns some times. Of course now, you get infantry in helicopters, and those are pretty much required for that opening rush to the middle, especially where there's a city involved.

overall armor is very powerful, but if it's all alone it can be pretty easily countered.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:05 am »

The game is obviously very similar to the original but it's also VASTLY superior in almost every way. So many more units, which can in fact cause quite a bit confusing unless you put in the time to learn them(this is coming from someone who had to learn most of the nato and pact equipment for years already).
I think the big multiplayer battles are more balanced now so that it doesn't matter so much if one or two teamates are clueless which is good for me because I am that guy in about half of my matches. I like to divide my forces up into joint strike teams now, with armor rolling with anti air and 2 supply trucks, my other group consisting of 4 infantry carriers with one or two mortar sections and my final group being artillery and additional supply trucks. If I have a strong team already I will send recon units to corners to act as true recon for my side and keep air and helicopters for air command support for allies in trouble. As long as only one teamate is doing this it works well.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:54 am »

There are about 10+ nations so you can see how complicated this can be. The battlefield can also get very overwhelming with the sheer number of different troops and how varied they are. I guarantee that the first few games you play this you will have no freaking clue what is going on as you wonder what a USMC Pathfinder is and whether it can actually take out that FAGOT squad with BMP-SP1 support.
Should I be proud that I know exactly what that means?  :P

Regardless, this topic now has me VERY interested in this game.

So let me get this straight:

1. Can we mix and match different nations and time period's units?

2. Is there singleplayer as well as multiplayer?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:56 am »

There are about 10+ nations so you can see how complicated this can be. The battlefield can also get very overwhelming with the sheer number of different troops and how varied they are. I guarantee that the first few games you play this you will have no freaking clue what is going on as you wonder what a USMC Pathfinder is and whether it can actually take out that FAGOT squad with BMP-SP1 support.
Should I be proud that I know exactly what that means?  :P

Regardless, this topic now has me VERY interested in this game.

So let me get this straight:

1. Can we mix and match different nations and time period's units?

2. Is there singleplayer as well as multiplayer?

Don't have the game (yet, oh cursed lack of funds) however I do know the answer to both of these to be yes! You have to pick one side, but other than that, you can mix and match between nations and eras on each side. However, you get bonuses for theming your armies. For example, if you theme it on a specific nation, you'll get some bonus units that only a themed army of that nation gets. etc.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:45 am »

Yeah. And if you theme it for older units only you get craptonnes of them. Or if you only choose light vehicles only you get better light vehicles.

You can really go crazy with decks.

Just keep in mind that the expensive heavy tanks are expensive heavy tanks for a reason. They generally have extended range, unbelievably accuracy, and massive armour. You will always need some sort of countermeasure to destroy these things. This can be helis, planes, or superb ATGMs but I guarantee if you don't have any way to fight them then you will cry.

Same goes with AA hehehe. Air superiority is very important. A single Tomcat can be the bane of your existence.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 01:11:54 pm »

DELICIOUS! NOW I CAN FINALLY GET MY DAD TO LIKE WATCHING MY VIDEO GAMES BY ROLLING ALL HIS FAVORITE TANKS INTO ONE BIG ARMY. . .

*cricket*

*ahem*

Well, I guess the only way to make him happier was if specializing in German tanks gave you E-100 and Maus and whatnot.

But I digress-now I'm sure I'll be getting around to this game eventually. But until then, time for more questions.

To what extent can you. . . use terrain? Can you setup death boxes? Deploy troops into forests and let the enemy go right by while you spring the trap after they've left? Simply put, can my love of military strategy actually be USED or do I have to play by hp bars, hard counters, and command & conquer resources and "logistics"?

Is there anything similar to spectator mode, so I can watch the battle up close without worrying about commanding my units?

In addition to online with other people, can you play a local game with just yourself and the COM(s)? I'd rather not have to play with people all the time. . .

Will discontinued and experimental equipment be available? For instance, the Comanche Assault Helicopter or those crazy gun prototypes that Red Jacket keeps trying to make for the army?

Do destroyed units stay on the battlefield? I.E. Will destroying the leading vehicle in an armored column while they're in the middle of a city force the remaining vehicles to either go around or blast their way through buildings?

And as a personal preference note, are there any infantry units armed with P90's? Too bad they can't dual wield P90's Goldeney 1997 style!

(I warn you now, there's going to be a lot more where these came from. I'm just in a bit of a hurry to be able to post them all. . .)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 01:21:58 pm »

You have far too many questions for us to answer in any particularly competent manner so I will direct you to better sources:

http://focus-files.com/Manual/WALB/WALB_Manual_English.pdf   -Manual in english

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=24862   - FAQ

http://wargame-series.wikia.com/wiki/Wargame:_AirLand_Battle  -Check the faction tab for units from each nation
Only a simple mind can be certain.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 03:02:24 pm »

To what extent can you. . . use terrain? Can you setup death boxes? Deploy troops into forests and let the enemy go right by while you spring the trap after they've left? Simply put, can my love of military strategy actually be USED or do I have to play by hp bars, hard counters, and command & conquer resources and "logistics"?
Terrain is a very huge factor. Your units line of sights are determined by obstacles in the way such as trees, houses, mountains, hills, whatever. It's a direct line of sight so even if they were standing at the crest of a hill they can't see directly under them for obvious reasons. Furthermore there's smoke that can obscure vision.

Then you get accuracy bonuses or debuffs for certain types of terrain such as swamp or forest or mountain. The maps are quite varied compared to old Wargame so there's big mountains and fairly large cities to fight through. Units can't really shoot through things and accuracy is determined by the movement of your unit, the movement of the enemy unit, your stabilizers, and the distance between them.

Helicopters can ascend or descend if you want them to hide behind stuff like buildings or mountains. You can hide your troops behind ranges to avoid artillery fire. Things like that.

There are HP bars but units take more damage depending on where they're hit (there's front, rear, side, and top armour). Damage is determined by the damage type of your attack combined with armour penetration if the unit has armour versus the armour of the location hit of the unit and its hp. Also units have morale which can go down dramatically and make them useless if they're panicked or even slightly stressed. There are also critical hits where units could take damage to their tracks or even get stuck in mud or maybe their optics were destroyed.

The only resources are the command points you get for holding terrain. You have to supply your units with fuel and ammo as well and that involves setting up some sort of supply line.

Is there anything similar to spectator mode, so I can watch the battle up close without worrying about commanding my units?

Nope. There's replays though.

In addition to online with other people, can you play a local game with just yourself and the COM(s)? I'd rather not have to play with people all the time. . .

There's singleplayer and skirmish.

Will discontinued and experimental equipment be available? For instance, the Comanche Assault Helicopter or those crazy gun prototypes that Red Jacket keeps trying to make for the army?

For obvious reasons not every single unit that has ever existed will be in the game but there are quite a lot. Me trying to list them would be insane but don't expect to see very obscure one off prototypes.

Do destroyed units stay on the battlefield? I.E. Will destroying the leading vehicle in an armored column while they're in the middle of a city force the remaining vehicles to either go around or blast their way through buildings?

No, it used to be like that in Wargame but it made it such a clusterfuck that Eugen had to remove it. The wrecks are still there just they don't impede units any more.

And as a personal preference note, are there any infantry units armed with P90's? Too bad they can't dual wield P90's Goldeney 1997 style!

P90 didn't exist yet in this timeframe.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »

Terrain is important, letting your troops out of their APC in anything but a town or a forest is a death trap. Although towns have been significantly improved since the first game to where its better to put your guys in a town then in a forest now. Towns are great for death traps as its almost impossible for anyone to see your guys until they're right next to em (they hide in buildings now <3).

About the traditional RTS type things, yeaaaaah, just don't get into too many heated debates with the "pros" or you'll see people telling you that the Raven is OP or the T-72B whatever is the best tank for its cost. You will need counters though, heavy tanks only die to a few things, other heavy tanks, and ATGMs.

You can watch replays of any game you've played, they're all saved automatically (much to my dismay). You'll get a free to move camera while viewing and the ability to see everything.

Yes, there's even a campaign, but, the AI is either really stupid, or a complete bastard.

There are some units labeled as "prototype", but you can only access them if you make your deck country specific. For instance my Czech Deck can use the STROP-2 because it's czech only.

It may depend on graphics settings. However, I've seen the hulks of former units on the ground before, though you'll usually be playing at such a zoomed out level it won't matter, and no.

Nope, you'll see some units getting special guns though like sniper rifles.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 05:27:46 pm »

to get a spectator mode you could play a 2v1 and just quit.

EDIT: while we're at it what's a good air assault deck? I chose air assault bonus, but it totally removed my support and armor capabilities, wasn't until halfway through the match before my allies pushed forward enough so that I could resupply the city that was under siege, it almost fell twice.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:21:28 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

There are 800+ units in the game but most are variants of the basic units (or even recolours for different nations). While I am impressed by such a high level of historical accuracy, for the purpose of making better judgments when playing the game, I need to simplify them into simpler categories. Here's what I've had in mind so far:

(Mind you, I am a PACT player)

Spoiler: "LOG" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "INF" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "SUP" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "TNK" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "VHC" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "HEL" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "PLA" (click to show/hide)

When designing a deck, it's important to think about the synergies between these units. Something I am still working on myself.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:45:04 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:57 pm »

to get a spectator mode you could play a 2v1 and just quit.

EDIT: while we're at it what's a good air assault deck? I chose air assault bonus, but it totally removed my support and armor capabilities, wasn't until halfway through the match before my allies pushed forward enough so that I could resupply the city that was under siege, it almost fell twice.
I don't really use air units in PACT because they don't really have anything particularly stand-out-ish. But I can tell you about my predominantly air oriented NATO deck.

It's absolutely useless at attacking anything but it's great for supporting allies and defending. It's so impressive that I normally get the most score on my team in 10v10s where it excels. So generally around 5000 to 7000 points. Just air units. Mostly because all my units excel at killing high value targets and getting out scot free.

Here's what it looks like: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149816350

The Super Etendards and Tornados are just absurd. They get in and out of hot situations like nobody's business. I don't know what it is but it's almost impossible to kill them. Enemy MIG31b? No problem. 3 enemy SAMs? Not an issue. The Super Etendard has the single most powerful ATGM in the game, a 30 damage missile that can kill anything, even a T80U in one hit. Because it only has the one bomb, it evacs almost immediately on its own.

As you can see, every single other thing there is made to kill tanks. When I play this deck I normally just sell all my starting units and buy 4 Etendards and 2 Tornados. Unless the enemies have 3 MIG31b's in the air, I won't lose a single one of them. I'm also pretty sure this deck has more planes than most decks even have AA.

However, just don't expect to use this deck to singlehandedly win anything. Other than the Leopard 2s, there really isn't anything in it that can attack.

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 07:55:02 pm »

As a Cold War enthusiast.. I REALLLLLY want this game...Exactly where do all the battles take place?
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3