Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 192858 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
[DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:38:44 am »

For new players of the mod it can be a little a lot overwhelming. So many new buildings, castes, creatures, reactions, items and materials. What to do? How do I use golems correctly? What is this colosseum for anyway? Why is my miner having a rotting lung, and how come that this gem over there is flooding my mineshaft?

Here is the place to ask questions. Not about mod progress, releases or the weather, but about your dwarves. How do I do X? What is the most efficient way for Y?

You can also post your tips and tricks here, I will compile the best of them in this first post, or even include them in the manual. You know this "tips & tricks" section in there? It is all about vanilla DF. Maybe it time for a second list with mod specific tips.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:16:07 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »

Don't be afraid to ask!

Zio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:52 am »

I've got two questions:
How can I avoid having 128 z-levels?
I set above ground to 12, above layer 1 to 5, the other ones I'm afraid to mess with since I heard they cause rejects but normally I try to keep the z-levels down since I play on a netbook.
So, which settings should I use for a 30ish world? (I'm guessing the issue is with MW since I didn't had this problem before and thought it isn't a gameplay question I don't believe is a bug, rather I suck at advance world generation)

What's the optimal Armor for my military?
For realism sake, and laziness to check the posibilities, my soldwarfs have been going with only one Padded Leather X and steel armor over that but I wonder just how many cloaks can I give them before they go into a socks induced coma.
For that matter what happened to socks?

Thanks for your mod by the way. I had completely given up hope of playing dwarf fortress in my potato until I found this mod, I can't go beyond 100 dwarfs but at the very least I maintain 100 fps beyond the second year.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:18:12 am »

1. Don't use island worlds.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:20:51 am »

try nanofortress (1x1 embark ftw)

set the z-levels like so
10 aboveground.
5 above 1
1 above 2
1 above 3
1 above 4
25 above 5
50 at bottom

when picking a location to embark find the one with the absolute "lowest" elevation perferably flat or 1's and 0's avoid rivers

elevation is "random" but generally you should get an embark with 1~5 levels of dirt, cavern 1 at z-lv 6-7, cavern 2 at 8-9. cavern 3 at 10-11. and between 10 and 100 z-levels of rock / magma (candy spires too) before the circus

sometimes you get 50 z-levels before cavern 1 but all 3 caverns get put together... sometimes i think the embarking thing just hates my netbook. as always revealmap to check for lag problems early before getting into an embark.

really wish there was an option to set the maximum number of z-levels per elevation level i think the worst one was 142 zlevel straight drop of a magma shaft(volcano w/o mountian 0.o) that abruptly went flat at ocean level with another 140 (below ocean) under that fps death came early that map.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 05:32:19 am »

Alrighty, this might be a bit spoilerey question:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:21 am »

Down below is the answer, but if you don't want it spoiled you should just lock him up and assume he is a threat. :p
I've got two questions:
How can I avoid having 128 z-levels?
I set above ground to 12, above layer 1 to 5, the other ones I'm afraid to mess with since I heard they cause rejects but normally I try to keep the z-levels down since I play on a netbook.
So, which settings should I use for a 30ish world? (I'm guessing the issue is with MW since I didn't had this problem before and thought it isn't a gameplay question I don't believe is a bug, rather I suck at advance world generation)

What's the optimal Armor for my military?
For realism sake, and laziness to check the posibilities, my soldwarfs have been going with only one Padded Leather X and steel armor over that but I wonder just how many cloaks can I give them before they go into a socks induced coma.
For that matter what happened to socks?

Thanks for your mod by the way. I had completely given up hope of playing dwarf fortress in my potato until I found this mod, I can't go beyond 100 dwarfs but at the very least I maintain 100 fps beyond the second year.
I try to be realistic with the armor and usually just give them this sort of set:
Padded trousers, padded shirt, padded hood, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, helmet, boots, gauntlets and a cloak.
When you get mithril it's a good idea to update padded clothes to mithril clothes, is this what you wanted? I hope this helps. ^^

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:18:37 am by SuicideRey »

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:17:42 am »

oopsie double post... sorry

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:29 am »

Noobazzah:

Zio: The worldgen has been answered, and there is no optimal armor anymore. There are good and bad ones depending on the situation. For the best of the best you would have to spend a few ingame years and 100 bars... a fully rune-coated adamantine platearmor set, with netherbark or dragonscale padded armor underneath. With adamantine tower shield, coat and all that in masterwork quality...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:53:04 am »

Never mind, this was a fresh fort that I started easterday with the new version. He did what I thought he would. Luckily my expedition leader carries her chopping axe everywhere.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:53 am »

I have a question about dwarven defence. How effective are the different mines? When I think frag mine, I like to think several injured or dead enemies. However having never used mines in the game I have no real comparison. I know there are several mines, which is why I ask.
Regards

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:36 am »

Stronghammer, best test them in the arena yourself, because it is super difficult to judge. If a archer sees the mine, he will snipe it, but if you trap the invaders in a room and then drop a hellfire landmine into it from above, every single one will die. Ice landmines by themselves are completely useless btw, but if you attack while the enemy is still frozen (unconciouss) you have a great advantege... or flash landmines, they make the enemy lind for a while, so luring enemy archers and then droppeing one of them will help immensely.  Acid and warpstone dont kill, but make them fight less efficient...

It all comes down to how you use them. And shame on you for never having done so, I know you have been playing the mod for quite a while :P

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:09 am »

lol oh I have, I usually like to hack the enemy apart by hand though. Its just this fort I want to try some static defence. I will for sure test them in arena. And thanks for the suggestion about the hellfire mines.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:54:49 am »

Do you want me to take a shot at rework the icemine with some Frostskald magic, so it really does cold damage in addition to the unconciousness?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:36 am »

That would be great :) They all use very old systems, from before interactions... I just replaced their itemcorpse with an interaction they do, but all the effects are the same. A web landmine would be awesome as well, but I never got around doing one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165