Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 192536 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1800 on: January 09, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »

use another dwarven civ, if possible (you can choose during embark) or regen the world
Your civ is probably stuck in some weird biome or similar and thus has no access to those seeds. So no, it isn't normal ;) (even though plump helmets are rare to see, but you don't need those anyway^^ there are enough viable crops)

ilmenidren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:38 pm »

Hi,

Rather new to MW DF,

was wondering if there was some sort of spreadsheet list or something that can give me categories for the new items in the stockpile list, at this point im only really guessing where some of the new items are going, namely sawdust...since it has a quality I have to store it....problem is I had no clue where to look for it in the stockpile, I think it's finished goods tool? or is it a powder? idk.... 

Edit: Sorry I figured out a round about way to solve it....thank goodness for the z-stocks section.....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:46:55 pm by ilmenidren »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 09, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »

Just started a new game and my dwarves are acting strange right at the start of the embark. I keep getting combat reports with dwarves of "Urist looks pale and has blood-shot eyes" and then they all fall over and lose conciousness.
I'm a bit confused what's going on?
Feeling down? Click Here!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 09, 2014, 09:22:09 pm »

disable diseases! Especially if you are new to the mod. And once you have some experience with it, you will see, that keeping them disabled is for your own best. Diseases On is imho the only default setting in the launcher that is set wrong.
Secret Fun can destroy your first fortress as well without much warning (if you don't know what can happen) but is still... fairer and more fun then diseases. If you don't want random destruction from within, disable secret fun as well ;) Or just see and cry when it happens. Or read about it and prepare ^^

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 09, 2014, 10:01:49 pm »

Just started a new game and my dwarves are acting strange right at the start of the embark. I keep getting combat reports with dwarves of "Urist looks pale and has blood-shot eyes" and then they all fall over and lose conciousness.
I'm a bit confused what's going on?

That's high blood pressure and possibly a stroke. You'll know a stroke if they go to the hospital and no one will feed/water them.  I would definitely recommend turning off the disease option, unless you like dwarves randomly dropping dead all the time.

Anyone have an answer for my obsidian shortsword question?  Starting a new fort in a hostile land, but there is lots of easy obsidian - but neither I nor my fort's manager can figure out how to make them (it's in the craftsdwarf workshop in vanilla.)  Were they removed as early weapons?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:05:41 pm by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1805 on: January 10, 2014, 03:02:35 am »

Isnt that hardcoded? Craftsman, Rock, Make rock sword, accepts any inorganic with edge?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:09 am »

Seems not, as it is definitely not there.  The only thing that may apply under craft->rock is "weapon hilt", but there is no option to actually make a sword.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:34 am »

Hi, guys. I hope, someone isn't sleeping yet.
I don't like chaotic mess after a combo abandon-reclaim. Two days ago I found up, that it could be bypassed by DFhack - lair. I checked,  it works. So, before I start new fortress (which will be abandoned after 4-5 years), I must know is there any pitfalls (negative sides in future), when I"ll convert my fortress into lair?

O, one more question in the same post, if you don't mind.
Is it possible to create a stockpile, which contains only jug (material of jug doesn't matter) full of ink? I know, it can be stocked somewhere in the Finished Goods.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:02:00 am by Legless »

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 10, 2014, 08:09:30 am »

disable diseases! Especially if you are new to the mod. And once you have some experience with it, you will see, that keeping them disabled is for your own best. Diseases On is imho the only default setting in the launcher that is set wrong.
Secret Fun can destroy your first fortress as well without much warning (if you don't know what can happen) but is still... fairer and more fun then diseases. If you don't want random destruction from within, disable secret fun as well ;) Or just see and cry when it happens. Or read about it and prepare ^^
Additionally, diseases clutter up the reports screen so that you may not always know when actual violence may happen. Depending on the disease, it can also cause lots of vomit/blood.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell me how much coal Urist McMiner can dig before he's in danger of black lung? I need to get more anthracite, but, you know, don't want to kill everybody.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1809 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:42 am »

Coal veins have single tiles of "coal dust" in them. If you dont dig those, you never get black lung in the first place. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:57 am »

Oh! Haha, didn't expect dwarves to start catching diseases right off the bat. I guess they were super excited about starting a new fort that their blood pressure rose  ;D

The overview of diseases in the online manual gave me the impression of it being mild and easily handled, so it's strange that you guys recommend that I turn them off, but I'll try without them. Can I use the same save after turning off diseases?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1811 on: January 10, 2014, 08:53:05 am »

The thing about diseases atm is:

They spam the combat logs.
The micromanagement with medicine is high.

Till these two things are made better, most people seem to disable the diseases.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:41 am »

2 things:

First, I am playing with diseases on, and I find them to add some fun flavor. Namely, a completely unique threat to fortress stability. I had flu sweep through everyone as I was setting up the hospital and spent 2 seasons just trying to get that sorted out. I also had meningitis start, but thankfully my med production was up to snuff that time. I handle them by constantly producing medicine, so that my stocks of drink are half meds. That way dwarves are taking meds a good portion of the time. I do nothing with special stockpiles, or burrows, or micromanagement. It just means that my drink production takes alot more plants, making me dependent upon caravans getting through at least once every year or so. So I enjoy the addition of diseases, and find them not to be too strong. I can handle almost any invaders, and am still setting up industries, and they add a low level threat that I have to keep balanced without demanding an annoying part of my attention.

Secondly, I need help with the magic altars. I am trying to setup an area with all of the altars, but I am confused as to what exactly I need. The only option I have to research is magicka but it says I need a specific discovery for each altar. What am I missing? The manual still says its one good, one bad, and one elemental altar, but the building menu seems to have an altar for each element. Help would be appreciated, I think I am just missing something simple.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1813 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:58 am »

Research Magicka => Build School of Wizardry => Further Magic Research in there.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 10, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

Duh...thank you. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 165