Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 192970 times)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1830 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:35 am »

So, question regarding the Monastery.  I had a level 15+ legendary Nun of Armok.  I set her to the task of "pray 3 months to become a Priest".  She went, and I got a message "XXX has transformed into a Praying Dwarf!"  and then about 2 seconds later "XXX has been found dead, curled up in fear!"   Is this just something that can happen?  Is priesthood male only?  Rather confused.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1831 on: January 12, 2014, 09:19:28 am »

So, question regarding the Monastery.  I had a level 15+ legendary Nun of Armok.  I set her to the task of "pray 3 months to become a Priest".  She went, and I got a message "XXX has transformed into a Praying Dwarf!"  and then about 2 seconds later "XXX has been found dead, curled up in fear!"   Is this just something that can happen?  Is priesthood male only?  Rather confused.
Sounds like you have a ghost in the fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 12, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »

More like a swarm of them, yeah, due to the respawing-and-instantly-dying-random dwarf thing I mentioned in the other thread - I stopped building coffins cuz it was getting annoying to keep up with, just dumping their skeletons in my lava pit now.  Weird - after years of DF, never realized a ghost could actually kill before.  Thanks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:04 pm »

Weird - after years of DF, never realized a ghost could actually kill before.  Thanks.

Usually the ones most apt to kill are the angry ones that batter dwarves (their definition of batter being to pull limbs off.) I can't recall the exact type that kills by scaring the buhjesus out of people, but I think it's sadistic spirit or something to that effect.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:47 pm »

2 things:

First, I am playing with diseases on, and I find them to add some fun flavor. Namely, a completely unique threat to fortress stability. I had flu sweep through everyone as I was setting up the hospital and spent 2 seasons just trying to get that sorted out. I also had meningitis start, but thankfully my med production was up to snuff that time. I handle them by constantly producing medicine, so that my stocks of drink are half meds. That way dwarves are taking meds a good portion of the time. I do nothing with special stockpiles, or burrows, or micromanagement. It just means that my drink production takes alot more plants, making me dependent upon caravans getting through at least once every year or so. So I enjoy the addition of diseases, and find them not to be too strong. I can handle almost any invaders, and am still setting up industries, and they add a low level threat that I have to keep balanced without demanding an annoying part of my attention.

Secondly, I need help with the magic altars. I am trying to setup an area with all of the altars, but I am confused as to what exactly I need. The only option I have to research is magicka but it says I need a specific discovery for each altar. What am I missing? The manual still says its one good, one bad, and one elemental altar, but the building menu seems to have an altar for each element. Help would be appreciated, I think I am just missing something simple.

:)

your 1:1 is actually quite a bit (I have mine at 4:1, although I never really seem to have 100% coverage, but towards the end of a migration wave (i.e. just before the next), I usually have 90% of the fort inoculated.  you can't do much about new migrant waves who bring with them diseases at this point, but if you have drinks on hand, you can prevent the spreading and those innoculated won't catch it.  I was proposing a pharmacy so newcomer's could go straight to a workshop and take some meds to prevent the newcomers from spreading to the latest migration wave...

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

I decided I wanted to give my military cloaks, made a bunch out of mithril, and they were promptly claimed by greedy haulers

A: is it even worthwhile giving them cloaks
B: is a mithril cloak better than a leather one for military purposes
C: how do i prevent them from being stolen by bad dwarves?

thanks

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:40 pm »

Arbalests:  How do they work?

In a recent map I built a star fort and put some arbalests in the points behind fortifications.  A siege came, I activated a few arbalests, they consumed ammo and a dwarf transformed.  The siege walked right under one, and past another, and all my Arbalest Operators did was enrage.  No bolts shot, no combat logs, no flying ammunition animations.

Is there some trick to this I don't understand?

PS: Sorry Silvergoose, I might have wasted a lot of time and effort on a defense that I set up incorrectly.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »

If i pave over the grass with some bronze floor... Will it stop bush fires from spreading?
Bronze itself is not magmasafe, but floors as construction should be magmasafe in general no matter the material. I just don't want to turn my main entrance in a liquid bronze pool, so better make sure...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:22 pm »

Floors can't be destroyed by heat in any circumstance. Besides, fire safe and magma safe are two different things.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:45 am »

technically a grass floor is also not destroyed :D But will the fire stop when it meets a bronze floor? or will it spread across?

And second question: suppressing phm  <--- what's that? Most of my dwarves are marked with that in DT, and it occassionally shows up as diagnosis by my doctors

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 14, 2014, 01:07:46 am »

In a recent map I built a star fort and put some arbalests in the points behind fortifications.  A siege came, I actithe walls vated a few arbalests, they consumed ammo and a dwarf transformed.  The siege walked right under one, and past another, and all my Arbalest Operators did was enrage.  No bolts shot, no combat logs, no flying ammunition animations.

PS: Sorry Silvergoose, I might have wasted a lot of time and effort on a defense that I set up incorrectly.

In my personal experience I've only gotten vanilla siege engines to fire through fortifications. I know the siege engine plugin to throw cages and most things won't make it through only stones will. Are your arbalests on top of the walls or at the same level as invaders?

Vanilla engines don't like to fire down z levels. You pretty much need a ground level fortification with a pit in front so invaders can't walk up.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1841 on: January 14, 2014, 01:59:50 am »

In a recent map I built a star fort and put some arbalests in the points behind fortifications.  A siege came, I activated a few arbalests, they consumed ammo and a dwarf transformed.  The siege walked right under one, and past another, and all my Arbalest Operators did was enrage.  No bolts shot, no combat logs, no flying ammunition animations.

they won't shoot through fortifications, but they will shoot up/down z-levels. they also seem to have issues with reanimated corpses if you're on an evil embark, that one i never figured out.

make sure you've got regular bolts, piercing/hammer/etc bolts aren't considered bolts by the arbalest. you can work around it by queuing up the jobs, and then using alt-a to configure the materials and bolt type for the job on the arbalest. siege operators only get experience each time they run the job, so while it's a bit painstaking since you can't run it on repeat, running it for 1 month as opposed to 3 months will increase their skills faster.

i've mentioned this before but it's gone mostly ignored, so i'll add it to the github tracker and maybe we can improve/fix it.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:04 am »

If i pave over the grass with some bronze floor... Will it stop bush fires from spreading?

Bronze flooring will certainly stop the spread of surface fires and firebreaks are a good idea.  But why bronze?  Do you particularly like the color?  I typically use colored bricks from the brick oven (even though it now requires fuel).  A spiral pattern of yellow bricks leading out from the center and all the caravans can now follow the yellow brick road to the Depot, surely one of the more Stupid Dwarf Projects but, hey.  Surface fires are not SUPPOSED to affect any construction at all but I once had a fortress with a surface layer of peat and fires from birds or wizards would burn hot enough to deconstruct metal bridges and turn stone nestboxes to ash – neat trick, that, since there is no carbon in stone.  Anyway, bronze would certainly work but it can also be used to train the migrants as novice metalworkers while hoping for a mood; a legendary stud or weaponsmith in the fortress is a valuable asset. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 14, 2014, 05:53:09 am »

Stone pavement is not an option, because none of my 25 masons ever have time :D There are way too many construcions waiting for completion.
About smithing... No, not needed I have an awesome smith in myself ^^ And i have about 300 bars of bronze from my apostles... Want to get rid of those. I would pave it with gold, if I would have enough of it. But as it is, bronze is the most abundant material ;) Besides bones... a bone floor would be awesome

Well, I just hope it all works fine. Maybe i pave the whole area in bronze, just to be safe.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 14, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »

And second question: suppressing phm  <--- what's that? Most of my dwarves are marked with that in DT, and it occassionally shows up as ingame diagnosis by my doctors (but on dwarves wounded for normal reasons like combat)

as it got lost earlier, i may ask it again :D
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 165