Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [ORC] Gameplay Questions  (Read 7285 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
[ORC] Gameplay Questions
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:03:14 am »

Are you looking for advice from other warchiefs on how to survive those first couple groups of elven assassins?  Have some thoughts about the best gear to equip your Uruks or Dreamwalkers?  This is the thread!

Of course, feel free to open a new topic in the subforum, if you have a big topic to discuss :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:42:59 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] - Gameplay Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:37 am »

Reserved for Orc Gameplay Tips & Tricks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:54:23 pm »

Always waiting to answer!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »

What are each of the weapon kits effective on? Also, a little something I discovered: sometimes i randomly get massive stacks of rusty coins, like 19000 or something, and when i sell them at the freelancers guild i get ridiculous amounts of goods, like twenty iron scimitars or something. Whats with that?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »

What are each of the weapon kits effective on? Also, a little something I discovered: sometimes i randomly get massive stacks of rusty coins, like 19000 or something, and when i sell them at the freelancers guild i get ridiculous amounts of goods, like twenty iron scimitars or something. Whats with that?

Well, it's probably not totally random ^^
My best guess is you sold a huge stack of something at the caravanserai that turns into silver coins, like a whole forgotten beast or giant sperm whales sized stack of meat, and then did "exchange silver coins to orc shillings". They happened to grab the big stack, and you got a big pile of shillings.  This can happen, the transactions respect the stack size in general.  19000 shillings should be only like five or six scimitars ;)

Jaguar kit is just generally excellent for melee.  Macuahuitl is good for cutting things in half, claws are good for stopping enemy in its tracks with pain... Jaguar kit has both.  Also an Uruk can wield with a shield so no downside.  This is excellent for humanoid or a little bigger enemies, that feel pain.

Dragon kit is composite bow plus katana, it's like the second best bow plus a weapon that is more than sufficient to meet any enemy in melee.  Or better yet, to coup de grace an enemy already riddled with arrows.  Plus Uruk can use shield.  This is probably the most flexible society kit in terms of being good in every situation.  If you factor in enchanted arrows then it's really deadly.

Seawolf kit, also a good balance of melee and range, but pistol instead of bow.  Bullets are better for piercing armor and skulls, but less good than (broadhead) orcish arrows at causing catastrophic bleeding/severing damage.  Any Orc can use with a shield.

Falcon kit has a spear, so it's great against big or heavily armored enemies, and the bola are a very effective pain/disabling rather than a killing weapon.  Bola and spears are both easy to craft so this is a good one you can get sort of earlier in the fort.   Any Orc can use with a shield.

Assassin's kit is the best at range; it's like a greatbow.  The melee attacks are like a dagger, so that is not great.  Big enough that it's Multigrasp.  This is the one for your dedicated archers.

Lifeguard kit is like a musket; plus an armor crushing polehammer.  If you have a source of musket balls then this is probably the best offensive weapon.  Only shortcoming that it's multigrasp so no shield, and musket balls can be tough to come by early in the game.  This is the one for your dedicated gunners, and you don't have to fear them getting stuck in melee sometimes, so they can accompany your melee squads out into battle.

Berzerker and Blademaster are both 2H kits, and have the biggest critical strikes, you'll be getting one-shot kills against even larger-than-humanoid enemies.  But you need good weapon and dodge skills to make up for the lack of shield.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:17:41 am by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »

Cool. I've only ever used blademaster arms, so i didn't know anything about the others.

Actually, just for general edification:
Dwarven Auxilla Arms (spear/crossbow): good for medium range fighters; snaga do well with it. The spear makes them fairly decent at eliminating enemy heavies, while the crossbow lets them support your frontliners.
Dwarven Hammer/Javelin arms: decent at close range, but not as good as blademaster arms. Useful against dwarven/human siegers and metallic FBs/titans, but not much else.

If you don't have the stuff needed to make or initiate a warrior society fighter, but have the weapons, you can equip the warrior with them directly. Only tested with flintlock pistols+scimitars on my corsairs. They fight with both in melee, but haven't yet seen them fire bullets.

Faulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:43:03 am »

Is there any way of fully healing my orcs, like the Fountain of Eternal Youth in original masterwork. My warchief killed 66 notable and 52 other monsters and way to cool. But get the arrow in the kneel and have to use crutch  :'( I know i can do it with dfhack but it'll be like cheating  ::).

How to storage powders? Like raw mithrill powder.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:37:31 am »

Hi Faulik,

No, sorry.  You can boost the orcs' regeneration by stationing nearby a Dreamwalker with a Rejuvenating Medicine dreamcatcher, or by brewing black draught at the Warriors' Meadhall.  This will help them recover from broken bones and other injuries fast.  But it won't recover a severed leg.  I guess Dreamwalkers fully heal when they transform into a magic user, but probably that's not your warchief :)

Powders, I think store in stockpiles set for Sand bags.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »

i'm having a hard time deciding if above ground fort is better then a below ground one.
trying to find a good starting build really

Faulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

Hi o/

I have a problem with mithril bars. To get it i must build Treesingers but it need mithril statue witch forged from 3x mithril bars. I raided elfs, but get raw mithril that goes in powder. I got somehow 2 bars(melt items, i think) but then they disappear in unknown direction. Any other sources of mithril bars is there?

And i got some strange snatchers. They had come several times and stolen VERY valuable items, like swordgolems, from caravan. I have dogs and ppl around but haven't saw they even once. Is there some flying snatchers?

Powders, I think store in stockpiles set for Sand bags.
Not work. They still at the forges.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:06:06 pm by Faulik »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:47:15 pm »

Right, to get that a statue ransom an elf captive at the shadowbroker. They give you a race-material-specific statue. And those snatchers are just the caravans leaving with their unbought wares.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »

Yeah, because our trade caravan partners are all from Babysnatching civilizations, it generates that message when they leave the map with their creatures in cages.

Montee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »

Hello, just started playing Masterwork recently and currently have a orc fort some two hundred strong but I'm still confused by a few things.

Is there a cap on skills? Because I've currently got an Uruk Ronin who's a level 46 fighter and got almost 6k strength, was wondering if it keeps going up.

Do orcs have anyway to process Mithril and Wolfrimite from ores or does it all have to be scavenged?

Also unsure with all the new materials which is best for forging weapons. For edged does it go Adamantine>Bifrost>Deep Bronze>Orichalcum>Mithril>Steel?

For blunt is it best to use Deep Bronze and Wolfram?

Also having read on the manual that's possible to stack runes, can you stack 20 Iridium runes on a copper dagger so that it one shots everything?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »

>> Hello, just started playing Masterwork recently and currently have a orc fort some two hundred strong but I'm still confused by a few things.

Hi! :)

>> Is there a cap on skills? Because I've currently got an Uruk Ronin who's a level 46 fighter and got almost 6k strength, was wondering if it keeps going up.

I have no idea, but that's pretty awesome.

>> Do orcs have anyway to process Mithril and Wolfrimite from ores or does it all have to be scavenged?

The Damasc forge can make a few things, but otherwise there's no domestic building to do so.  With the unlockable Elven Treesinger's Pagoda you can process mithril.

>> Also unsure with all the new materials which is best for forging weapons. For edged does it go Adamantine>Bifrost>Deep Bronze>Orichalcum>Mithril>Steel?
>> For blunt is it best to use Deep Bronze and Wolfram?

I don't know if there's ever quite a linear progression for things in dwarf fortress, but that's probably about right.  Welded mithril is quite good for edge too (only damasc for Orcs unless you loot it). 

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal

>> Also having read on the manual that's possible to stack runes, can you stack 20 Iridium runes on a copper dagger so that it one shots everything?

I don't know.  I think that means you can stack runes of different type, not 20 of the same. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »

On the cap: there's no cap on skills, but there is one for attributes. That's not a Masterwork thing, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4