Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 897330 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021
« Reply #2460 on: January 13, 2023, 01:37:23 am »

Hey I've been having trouble with DF crashing when exporting legends info. My PC can run Arma 3 with little to no issue but this ASCII game seems so so prone to ccrashes sucks that the ram is limited to 4GB cause I've got 64GB, plenty to go around. If I try to make a world with advanced parameters it crashes, too but right now my priority is getting that dfhack legends info for the legends viewer. Not sure what files might be needed for better help.
DF memory is not limited to 4 GB unless you are running a 32-bit build of DF, and 64-bit builds have been available since 0.43.04 (in 2016).

DF's a notorious PC melter because it is a single CPU core game, and has absolutely no multicore functionality for modern or ultramodern specced PC's and will chew through it like a beaver through logs.
Single-core speed is generally helpful - a slower CPU does not make the game faster.

Regarding performance in general, you might find this recent thread from Putnam interesting.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 16, 2023, 05:55:21 pm »

Do we know if there are any plans for v50 masterworks?

Second!

I almost can't wait for the next release. Also, because the database went down I can no longer download this current version. Will it be put back up or is there somewhere I can find it??

Third

Masterwork is by far my favourite pack to release for Dwarf Fortress and i would love to dump another couple hundred hours into a v50 port, but i imagine it would take a insane amount of work to port over all the workshops and features that MW has.  Still i really hope it get's even a minor port.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 31, 2023, 11:33:15 am »

So I've just stumbled upon this cool mod for the first time, but I do have some questions about how it all works.
Is any of the new content also available in adventure mode?
If your demon/succubi fort charms another race, do you get all the unique benefits that are listed for that race? And if so, how is that counterbalanced?
Is there such a thing as a necromancer fort? And if you animate pops from another race, do you get all their benefits? And how is that counterbalanced?
What is a good way to get info on the game mechanics (besides asking here)?

Edit: I just found out there is an entire sub-forum for the Masterwork Modset. Thanks iac to all future readers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:50:43 pm by The Grim Sleeper »

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 20, 2023, 09:01:22 am »

Begging for premium release   ::) ::) Is it planned?

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 29, 2023, 12:37:23 am »

For those unaware, Meph here was on a world trip after that massive drama llama stampede with the Meph pack and all that a while back. As he hasn't updated his current status on his profile, it's probably a good bet he still is. That being said he's still alive as he was on here back at the start of the year at least. He might currently be working on it. What new comers need to keep in mind though is that a LOT has changed since the last version of this mod, doubly so with the release of the Steam version. It's gonna take a lot of time, effort, and possibly completely rebuilding some older parts of the mod to work with the new systems in the game. Not to mention that several mods that were fused into this one were either updated, or even more distressingly, never got updated in the first place. It's gonna be a while before we are probably gonna see anything reminiscent of a new version.

That being said, I'm happily willing to wait on it,

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 29, 2023, 05:08:47 am »

He's relatively active on reddit, /u/Meph248 .
Team Bug Fix!

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 29, 2023, 01:00:35 pm »

IS it possible that modder like the creator of masterwork could be able to, for example fix the issue with archers not picking bolts and charging at the enemy?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2467 on: March 30, 2023, 03:56:41 am »

IS it possible that modder like the creator of masterwork could be able to, for example fix the issue with archers not picking bolts and charging at the enemy?

Masterwork is a mod pack, so there is no sole creator. Also no, that is outside of the scope of ordinary modding. You could do it with DF Hack (because you can do anything with DF Hack, technically), but that is much more difficult so fewer have the expertise to even make an attempt.

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 30, 2023, 03:27:25 pm »

Could you elaborate? How dfhack can do everything?
Also... is there any way to make change in  .dat files ? (saves)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2469 on: May 31, 2023, 01:32:29 am »

Could you elaborate? How dfhack can do everything?

DF Hack interacts with the working memory of the game (afaik), so it could technically change anything in working memory, i.e. "everything, technically". Perhaps a bit misleading of an answer though, since surely some parts of the code are very difficult to interact with when you only get the strange run-time version of them (in assembly?). The "everything" really only differentiates it from raws modding, which has the limits the tokens of the raws present. At this point it seems like archers might be fixed in the regular game withing the coming months, too. Probably not worth getting into hacking archery fixes in the meanwhile.

No idea about the .dat files.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: June 03, 2023, 11:01:54 am »

Usually it is much easier to make changes in memory with DFHack (and then let DF handle saving them) than to make changes to the .dat files directly. If there's anything specific you're trying to do, I'd encourage you to post in the DFHack thread.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

F4LK5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: June 24, 2023, 06:53:57 pm »

This may seem dumb but can anyone help with why I might not be able to see the Researchers Study in any lists? How does one get the ingredients? How does this mod have no wiki. All the information I could find myself seems to be from 2014 and Im honestly wondering if the mod simply moved away from it entirely. Thats how devoid of evidence it still exists my search has been. Please help. Reddit just offered me the same 2014 looking information from the wiki and then got surprised when I wasnt satisfied.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 29, 2023, 12:44:02 pm »

This may seem dumb but can anyone help with why I might not be able to see the Researchers Study in any lists? How does one get the ingredients? How does this mod have no wiki. All the information I could find myself seems to be from 2014 and Im honestly wondering if the mod simply moved away from it entirely. Thats how devoid of evidence it still exists my search has been. Please help. Reddit just offered me the same 2014 looking information from the wiki and then got surprised when I wasnt satisfied.

Yes, hello.The 'wiki' you might be referring to is, in fact, a subset of the Dwarf Fortress wiki more generally - (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page) - the mod itself, however, has been discontinued by the modder a while back; due to allegations of plagiarised tileset content, that rather snowballed out of control, of all things. And shortly before he fled the community in disgrace over the matter, at that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 03, 2023, 02:51:15 am »

This may seem dumb but can anyone help with why I might not be able to see the Researchers Study in any lists?

Yes, hello.The 'wiki' you might be referring to is, in fact, a subset of the Dwarf Fortress wiki more generally - (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page) - the mod itself, however, has been discontinued by the modder a while back; due to allegations of plagiarised tileset content, that rather snowballed out of control, of all things. And shortly before he fled the community in disgrace over the matter, at that.

They are on a mountaineering holiday, they're still active around on reddit and the like. I wouldnt say fled, as much as took time off to have a break. They could still yet return to the scene of modding to pick up where they left off or end up doing something else.

Aside from some attempts to revive it, nobody's been able to muster up enough resources to try to recreate it in full, but the succubus mod (one part of the five MW races of the i think 7 total planned races) is successfully on the steam workshop for DF graphics. All that remains is humans, dwarves, kobolds (which are around in different iterations but not the same), and Smagglepagus's orcs to make a full debut to get a Masterwork 'lite' experience, besides from the additional stuff.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 03, 2023, 09:23:53 pm »

I recall him saying that he wants to do a 50 version of Masterwork, but that it will understandably take a very long time.

And I agree they didn't "flee".  Nobody was happy about the situation, that's for sure.  However, it was pretty clear that they we being very naive rather than malicious.  As far as I'm aware, this is water under the bridge for everybody involved.  Mistakes were made.  Lessons were learned.  No need to bring it up at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166