Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 906525 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (42.06) - DF2016 - Newest version! - Updated 29th June
« Reply #1065 on: July 04, 2016, 06:04:32 am »

I've been playing with The Earth Strikes Back! mod ON because, it's interesting.  There were a lot of crashes.  Really a lot.  Turning off TWBT makes a significant difference.  Enough of a difference that it's worthwhile, I just try to remember to Save Game after every keystroke-intense action (trades, invasions).  Most of the time, the (uncommon now) crashes come when the game is doing 'a lot at once,' making me wonder if it's a RAM issue on my older laptop. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1066 on: July 04, 2016, 06:06:51 am »

I've been playing with The Earth Strikes Back! mod ON because, it's interesting.  There were a lot of crashes.  Really a lot.  Turning off TWBT makes a significant difference.  Enough of a difference that it's worthwhile, I just try to remember to Save Game after every keystroke-intense action (trades, invasions).  Most of the time, the (uncommon now) crashes come when the game is doing 'a lot at once,' making me wonder if it's a RAM issue on my older laptop.
Every time TESB is mentioned, its in conjunction with crashes... :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:29 am »

Every time TESB is mentioned, its in conjunction with crashes... :/
But jimboo said TESB had fewer crashes than TWBT.  That has to count for something ;)

I'm only hearing about crashes from MW players, but that could just be that there are more people playing thru Masterwork than thru the standard or Rubble versions.  It could be that MW has so much content that it's causing memory issues.  64 bit DF would fix that.

The majority of bugs seem to be in two groups: TWBT multiview, and mods that use create-unit (TESB, Hermits and Succubi).  A save made just before a crash would be really helpful if the crash happens every time the save gets to that point.

For reporting purposes, it is also helpful to get stderr.log (which is DFHack's fairly verbose log).  In particular, it records every script as it's about to run.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 04, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »

Statistical analysis on any group of one is always problematic, but I went back to the last crash and twice replayed the previous season and the one following: once w/ TWBT On, the other Standard (The Earth Strikes Back! was On in both instances).  Both played just fine.  TWBT seems a bit slower to react but maybe that’s just my opia. 

Dirst, if it’s helpful to have a crash error log for later analysis, would you walk me though just what would be useful?    It’s sure to happen again someday.   :)

edit: just dwarves
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:51:23 pm by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

antigora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:44 pm »

hi, i am not good speaking english, so i will try to explain the crash i was.

i am try to build a bag, for my library and in the moment i choose the bag the game crash.

mm i dont know if i got a crash report but if you say me where is it i can paste here.

i have off the earth strike back.

mmm if you need the save game in the moment when crash i can upload for you.

sorry for the poor information, but i recently start to play dwarf fortress.

steelyeyed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 05, 2016, 12:58:09 am »

Okay, downloaded latest build, fired it up.   Tried several times and each time crashed at embark.
Error log has a single entry repeated numerous times:  "Connected Component Overflow"
Used the following settings on the launcher
Init:
Print mode STANDARD 
     Graphics Cap 300
     FPS Cap 150
     size 3:3
     points 1274
     Group size 7
     Window YES
     normal speed
Settings:
     All standardization
     Grazing Coefficient 100
     All else off
Mods:
     Deeper Dwarven Domestication More Pets
     More Leather Mod
     Wanderers Friend
     Silk Eggs Mod
     All else off
Civs:
     Dwarves for Fort
     All else default
Invaders:  Default
Creatures:  Vanilla Creatures
Dwarf tab: all enabled
World Gen:
     Changed Number of Civs to 15
     Embark points 1274
     End Year 65
     Population Cap 15000
     Mineral Scarcity 100
DFHack gives the following Messages: 
     loading script at PyLNP_DFHack_onload.init
     Error Loading Script
after initializing all the succubus stuff
     pols/reaction-trigger is not a recognized command
Does any of this help?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1071 on: July 05, 2016, 06:20:59 am »

hi, i am not good speaking english, so i will try to explain the crash i was.

i am try to build a bag, for my library and in the moment i choose the bag the game crash.

mm i dont know if i got a crash report but if you say me where is it i can paste here.

i have off the earth strike back.

mmm if you need the save game in the moment when crash i can upload for you.

sorry for the poor information, but i recently start to play dwarf fortress.
Please upload this.

Okay, downloaded latest build, fired it up.   Tried several times and each time crashed at embark.
Error log has a single entry repeated numerous times:  "Connected Component Overflow"
Used the following settings on the launcher
Init:
Print mode STANDARD 
     Graphics Cap 300 => WTF, set that to 20 or so.
     FPS Cap 150
     size 3:3
     points 1274
     Group size 7
     Window YES
     normal speed
Settings:
     All standardization
     Grazing Coefficient 100
     All else off
Mods:
     Deeper Dwarven Domestication More Pets
     More Leather Mod
     Wanderers Friend
     Silk Eggs Mod
     All else off
Civs:
     Dwarves for Fort
     All else default
Invaders:  Default
Creatures:  Vanilla Creatures
Dwarf tab: all enabled
I can try to simulate that, use the same settings and see if it crashes on my machine. The "Connected Component Overflow" is strange, I've never seen that before, nor do any posts in the forum exist that mention this expression.

Aha, found something in the releasesboard:
Sounds to me like your memory is running out. Something like #2715, "Crash during huge, lengthy world gen (out-of-memory)". Connected Component Overflow is noted in this comment as some pathing issue. Together I would think your game has not enough memeory to calculate detailed path map of such big embark area.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 05, 2016, 06:25:57 am »

Yeah, wait till 64-bit to do your long-gen large worlds with big embarks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1073 on: July 05, 2016, 06:42:02 am »

Yeah, wait till 64-bit to do your long-gen large worlds with big embarks.
Thing is, he stated that the embark size is " size 3:3", and it crashes at embark, not world-gen. Still strange.

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 05, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »

MW hasn't worked for me since v1.05. I hoped it was just a thing but it seems something was changed in 1.06 that doesn't like my computer.  Please tell me what you need from me to help locate this issue to fix it.

I can still run 1.05 fine - it stats up and plays.  With 1.06, 1.07, and 1.08, all extracted to their own folders exactly like 1.05, I navigate to the folder and open the Masterwork.exe file (blue gear icon).  The splash screen for MW (that says it's loading) shows up as usual, but the main MW window with all the options never happens. There's no error msg or crash notification.  The icon stays in the hidden icons near my sys clock until I hover my mouse over it, then it quietly disappears.  I can run the DF exe from the DF subfolder, and DFhack also loads up when I do, except without a more than a couple of autorun scripts and TWPT is not found by DF hack.

I don't want to distract from the great progress being made on the mod and I haven't read about anyone else having the issue, but I really hope to get it working again.  Thanks.

Win8.1 Laptop
i5-4200U 1.6GHz
8Gb RAM

Edit: 1.04 and 1.03 also work fine.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:59:11 pm by 13thEssence »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:58 pm »

Is your antivirus blocking it?

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 05, 2016, 07:18:53 pm »

Is your antivirus blocking it?
No AV activity. Nothing happens at all. Splash screen should disappear and the window should come up 0.8sec later. It just doesn't do that. Like the .exe finishes executing and ends, except the icon is still in taskbar until I open up hidden icons and mouse-over it (even 15mins later).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1077 on: July 06, 2016, 05:58:34 am »

I have an idea about what could cause it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 06, 2016, 12:52:46 pm »

Dirst, if it’s helpful to have a crash error log for later analysis, would you walk me though just what would be useful?    It’s sure to happen again someday.   :)
Here's something to keep in mind when reporting a problem with a mod or tool:

• U see or do something just as the crash appeared?  ("Display corrupted when I designated a new uniform")
  • Read anything in the logs?  DF keeps gamelog.txt and errorlog.txt, while DFHack keeps stdout.log and stderr.log. ("Last thing in the DFHack error log was launching the FOO script.")
  • Instructions just issued of just followed? ("Game locked up when a new floor tile was completed.")
  • Saved games can be very helpful, so try to keep a copy of your save folder handy in case someone asks you to upload it.  This is best if it's shortly before the error and you know what will reliably cause it to happen.
  • Tricks to avoid the error? The difference between the error and not-error conditions can be telling.  ("The game crashes when clothing made of [modded material] burns or leaves the screen with a caravan, but not if it's atom-smashed.")

I'm sure the acronym was a complete coincidence :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

steelyeyed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 07, 2016, 01:59:17 pm »

Just got back on, tried everything with default settings after deleting and cleaning everything out and re-downloading 
Same error message with "connected component overflow"
turned off anti-virus
killed everything non-essential except for DF and hack.
same thing. World Gen worked fine, was able to prepare for embark and spend points.  Hit "E" to embark and after a couple of minutes game crashed.  Never got to play screen.
My machine has an i7-2600 CPU 3.4 GHz, 64 GB ram, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit operating system, Radeon R9 260 video.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 166