Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 906516 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (43.03) - DF2016 - Newest version! - Updated 9th Dec
« Reply #1650 on: December 29, 2016, 07:33:13 am »

Getting a yearly crash every time my (Orcish) home civ sends a caravan. Seems it's tied to the wagons, since blocking their path (and thus stopping them from spawning) seems to prevent the crash.

better idea. do you have seasonal saves on?  when the season your caravan shows up appears, just restart your program at that point.

another suggestion, select only the things from the liaison you really want sent... I try to keep it to 5 or less things, with orcs I usually select a single wood, warpstone large gem, spilled blood, all meat and fish, I get 1 wagon and a couple of guards and mule draggers.   This reduces the number of items brought to you the following year...Reduced numbers=reduced wagons. or you can just put your Depot behind a wall with only 1 square entry, then no wagons will show up, but the inventory becomes even smaller.  It sounds like your having the huge inventory issue.  wagons brings tons of items compared to the backpacking, mule carrying merchants.  wagons really aren't that much different in their in game memory then a horse or a dwarf. Its there carrying capacity that's different.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 29, 2016, 10:45:42 am »

Wow. Masterwork is quite buggy it seems.

This was followed by a note from Baldamundo re: wagon related crashes and Amostabol’s good answer re: LAA. 

My 2¢ : on my very old laptop, LAA makes a difference, and TWBT has its own issues and dominated this thread for quite awhile.  Here’s a part that I still don’t understand: on *my* laptop, Masterwork runs much better with priority High and not RealTime.  For whatever reason.  Crashes, hangs, glitches, they all pretty much went away after dropping priority to High.  Also, my virtual RAM was split over two drives and while this also shouldn’t make a difference, upping the limit and confining it to one drive also made an improvement.  Back to Lordsservent’s comment: vanilla has always been buggy, DFHack and the other mods add to that, Meph has done a pretty amazing job with the many updates and fixing things as they crop up in play.  Apparently, designing colorful sprites is more fun for him than incorporating the new core into Ye Olde Masterwork so I mostly play the old version that gives seasonal sieges and never crashes.   :)  I do miss the prettier graphics a bit and Dirst’s gem farms and little rock bastards but w/o massive invasions, it’s just not the same.  For me, anyway. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 29, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

Maybe I'm confused - what exactly does LAA change, besides allowing DF to use 3-4 GB of memory instead of 2? I can't see why changing that would fix any graphics issues. It's possible it's adjusting some GPU limit too, which could affect MDF since it uses a lot of textures, but in that case, "large address aware" is a rather poor name. Does anyone have a source for MDF's LAA? Is it this?

integrated GPUs don't have separate ram, so the graphic information is stored back with the program in the system ram, which is what is restricted to 2GB.  Basically the fix works for integrated (on board) GPUs, such as laptops, and non high end desktops.  any graphics card should circumvent the issue to begin with by holding all the graphics in its memory,  but old graphics cards with 512MB or less internal RAM(3+ years old) have been showing up also having the problems.

LAA fixes the problem because it's allowing the program more +2GB to handle graphics when their is no ram dedicated to the GPU.  Ram being dedicated to the GPU on integrated boards is a rather new thing in high end model laptops, and its still fairly standard for most productions not to do that.  And I run primarily on an integrated laptop... and it improves my FPS and allows me past the 100 unit threshold which generally bogs me down to 2-5 fps no matter what.

As I saw from some players.  If it doesn't crash but just produces strange effects, attempt to resize, fullscreen to window, or minimize/maximize first.  but even these eventually went for the LAA, most of the info I gathered they were running 512MB graphics cards, or AMD with play.tv.  All the errors this run have been primarily with older systems, and with windows.  I don't think there is a mac environment running, or group to test, so I don't know if anyone is experiencing these problems on MAC.  the linux users aren't complaining.... but from my experience with linux users, every new computer problem is just something for them to solve, YEAH!

Oh and the LAA is shipped with MWDF as far as I can tell since yeold MWDF and before that even, as its in that package too.  Its in the utilities folder.

I have an R9 380 with 4 GB of on-board video memory. It's not necessarily older stuff.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 29, 2016, 05:58:40 pm »

I have an R9 380 with 4 GB of on-board video memory. It's not necessarily older stuff.

Wish I had one... but I don't have a home desktop system to put it in...   I hate to find out how far it set you back.  I think the cheap versions of them are running $150 US now.  I think I saw MSI advertising one of there versions at $400.   Yeah with that type of video card you wouldn't need LAA for anything.  Congrats, you have any more to share out?
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 29, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »

better idea. do you have seasonal saves on?  when the season your caravan shows up appears, just restart your program at that point.

another suggestion, select only the things from the liaison you really want sent... I try to keep it to 5 or less things, with orcs I usually select a single wood, warpstone large gem, spilled blood, all meat and fish, I get 1 wagon and a couple of guards and mule draggers.   This reduces the number of items brought to you the following year...Reduced numbers=reduced wagons. or you can just put your Depot behind a wall with only 1 square entry, then no wagons will show up, but the inventory becomes even smaller.  It sounds like your having the huge inventory issue.  wagons brings tons of items compared to the backpacking, mule carrying merchants.  wagons really aren't that much different in their in game memory then a horse or a dwarf. Its there carrying capacity that's different.

Yeah, I have the autosaves (plus trying to get into the habit of regular quicksaves anyway), so it's not the end of the  - mainly just wondered if anyone knew what was causing it. Do you reckon it's just the sheer quantity of items crashing it, rather than something specific?

I mainly just use the caravans to import huge quantities of animals for my slaughterhouses tbh. I thought I embarked on a savage biome, but I can never find enough leather or tallow. Doesn't help that leatherwing bats are broken, and I think slaughtering sentients is still bugged?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 29, 2016, 06:40:52 pm »

yeah sentient butchering was out in 43.  and no I don't think its a specific item... It just sounds like its an item/unit count crash... It use to happen all the time to people, your the first I've heard in about 2 months... really though its 'virtually' impossible to tell, but if it was a specific item or unit... you would crash every time that thing or unit tried to appear on your map... most of the caravan stuff is normal appearing items, and most of the pets appear randomly with migrants... I just really don't know.  just see if a reset prior to the caravan helps otherwise either restrict access to the depot or reduce what your asking for. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:08 am »

Wish I had one... but I don't have a home desktop system to put it in...   I hate to find out how far it set you back.  I think the cheap versions of them are running $150 US now.  I think I saw MSI advertising one of there versions at $400.   Yeah with that type of video card you wouldn't need LAA for anything.  Congrats, you have any more to share out?

I... actually do have another one I accidentally bought, which was pretty horrible. I've been keeping it around for when my brother finally decides he needs a new computer, though.

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 30, 2016, 01:46:23 pm »

I can't seem to minimize in masterwork df.....can someone please help? The only way i can seem to make the window go away while it's still running is turning off my computer then turning it back on.

TheHolyLegend15

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 30, 2016, 02:11:35 pm »

RawChaos press F11 to enter window mode.

TheHolyLegend15

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 30, 2016, 02:21:49 pm »

When i generate a new world the game crashes after it pass 100 years :/

CaptComrade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 31, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »

I've got several bugs, possibly/probably related to eachother. First is that the game always crashes when trying to start playing in a world I created, entirely barring me from playing the mod. The second is that when I change the font or tileset in the launcher thing, those changes don't show up in-game. What do? Playing with the latest version of the mod.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:17 pm »

I've got several bugs, possibly/probably related to eachother. First is that the game always crashes when trying to start playing in a world I created, entirely barring me from playing the mod. The second is that when I change the font or tileset in the launcher thing, those changes don't show up in-game. What do? Playing with the latest version of the mod.

first: have you tried this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162031.0

second: launcher does not update game files, so any changes to the font or tileset will not change anything in a game world... you need to make those decisions prior to world generation. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

CaptComrade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 31, 2016, 08:33:59 pm »

first: have you tried this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162031.0

second: launcher does not update game files, so any changes to the font or tileset will not change anything in a game world... you need to make those decisions prior to world generation.

On the second point, it doesn't change anything for new worlds either. Also, font doesn't change.

Edit: I have no idea what anything on the first one means either.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: January 01, 2017, 02:35:13 am »

Happy new year Dwarf fortress players. May your embarks be exciting, and your adventures productive and interesting.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 01, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »

I got this 43.03 version of Masterwork DF, with laptop keybind. On choosing an embark location, I can't move up or down, but I can move up or down by multiple block with shift+up/down arrows. "u" "m" don't work either.

Up down arrows work in everywhere else though like menu selection.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 166