Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 897288 times)

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 - Newest version! - Updated 14th Jan 2019
« Reply #2220 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:19 pm »

Quick question. Is there any way to split off the mods within this pack to be used as a part of the lnp? I really just want the one that makes gems into other things, because i'm not a fan of the stone texture and color changes in this one comparatively. I've been messing around digging through the raws and the like, but I've not had much luck identifying what does what.

edit: I would settle for just being able to make the colors right. I've tried saving the color palette and copying it over, after doing the same for the ironhand font so it's right, but I've not been able to make the colors behave. Probably a minor thing for most, but it triggers my autism something fierce lol. Really, if I could make the colors behave I'd probably be satisfied, but they end up not looking right to me even with the copied color palette.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:58:38 pm by armads »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:30 am »

There are a number of palettes in MasterworkDwarfFortress/Settings/Colors - I used to do:

Code: [Select]
cp MasterworkDwarfFortress/Settings/Colors/colors_Phoebus.txt Dwarf\ Fortress/data/init/colors.txt
in my linux package for a while (until I saw that it makes rugs that ugly pink, blech!  ;)  ).

You could try cycling thru those to see if one suits.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:27 pm »

There are a number of palettes in MasterworkDwarfFortress/Settings/Colors - I used to do:

Code: [Select]
cp MasterworkDwarfFortress/Settings/Colors/colors_Phoebus.txt Dwarf\ Fortress/data/init/colors.txt
in my linux package for a while (until I saw that it makes rugs that ugly pink, blech!  ;)  ).

You could try cycling thru those to see if one suits.

Well what I've done so far is I took the color palette from the settings in the lnp and copied it over into the masterwork settings. That mostly fixed the colors. Mostly. It still makes things orange, for some strange reason.

I'm also not really sure how to fix the fact that all the stones look wrong? I tried copying over the old ironhand graphics set, but then I started getting errors of not having penguin man sprites. Really, I think the issue is that the veins are hard to look at because they're made of non-seemless sprites.

Edit: is there also a way to turn off the seasonal color changing? It's kind of annoying.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:54:37 pm by armads »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: January 22, 2019, 02:45:25 pm »

First time to try this MDF.  And I'm stuck. 
Brought 60 orthoclase boulders with plans to breach an aquifer cite. 

Made a mechanic's workshop and says I don't have stones to make mechanism.

I kinda like the generic rough wood to build walls and floors. 

Ordered beds via manager, and did not work. Need to build in carpenter's workshop directly. 

Manager order to make wooden blocks, does not seem to work, or are they called wood planks now? 

Is there a how-to MDF?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: January 22, 2019, 04:22:27 pm »

Stones can be used for more stuff now, so you'll need to enable them under the stone screen.

You can use a wood-splitting block to make batches of blocks from wood, and then those to make more per-log than you'd normally be able to at the woodcrafter workshop (four blocks gets you two beds if I'm not mistaken.)

Another issue is that possibly because of simplified wood, you may need to tell the manager you want rough wood beds, though I haven't played it too much (still haven't found the magic spot I want,) so take that with a grain of salt.

Enforcer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 22, 2019, 04:49:12 pm »

thanks for the update!! been using the old version for years original client finally broke on me a few weeks ago! :'))

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:21 pm »

Here's another issue I'm running into. For reasons I don't understand, all the vein stones like microceline and the like now can't be used for lots of basic stone tasks. Fine, I guess, but is there a reason that when you craft things like shields or armor out of them using the rockforge, that weapon and armor stockpiles don't recognize them as items? Where do these items get stored, exactly? the weapon and armor materials list has everything enabled, including the two 'stone' materials listed, but the dwarves won't haul them, except to the dump.

So is there some other stockpile these are supposed to go? Or does masterwork just make 90% of stones utterly useless for anything you'd want to do with them? Because I'd rather they be used the same way as non-economic hard rock. I'm not really sure why orthoclaste makes a good sword, but can't be used as a mug, or why olivine can be turned into a rock high boot but not a table. Seems like something that's more complex without actually adding much other than cluttering up my stockpiles with useless rocks that need to be atom smashed otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:07:00 pm by armads »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 22, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »

Okay, from the top: Stones can be used for other things in Masterwork (the Meph Tileset as well,) and as such by default they're listed as economic stone. This is more of an issue with DF itself rather than either mod. They're "useful" now and thus not worthless stone anymore as far as the game cares to classify them.

You need to enable any stone you want to use for regular stuff just like you would any other economic stone, like imported marble or metal ores.

As to stockpiling, there's a stockpiling glitch that prevents rock and gem stuff from being stored properly unless made from a generic faux-metal. So gem and rock gear is best made on an as-needed basis and issued directly, or dumped in a quantum stockpile manually for storage.

For the record, I'm not mad at anyone, cause I know I'm not Meph and so me answering when he's not immediately on hand isn't worth much, but I've seen this question asked between the two threads four or five times now and I've repeated myself about as many as to "why can't x rock be used for y tasks anymore." It makes me think people can't look two or three posts up to see if anyone already asked recently.

You'd think the word of someone who played both into the ground over the last few years would count for something though...

@ Meph: You may want to consider some kind of early warning about that on both so people stop asking about it, either in the OP or in the manual.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:41 pm »

Okay, from the top: Stones can be used for other things in Masterwork (the Meph Tileset as well,) and as such by default they're listed as economic stone. This is more of an issue with DF itself rather than either mod. They're "useful" now and thus not worthless stone anymore as far as the game cares to classify them.

You need to enable any stone you want to use for regular stuff just like you would any other economic stone, like imported marble or metal ores.

As to stockpiling, there's a stockpiling glitch that prevents rock and gem stuff from being stored properly unless made from a generic faux-metal. So gem and rock gear is best made on an as-needed basis and issued directly, or dumped in a quantum stockpile manually for storage.

For the record, I'm not mad at anyone, cause I know I'm not Meph and so me answering when he's not immediately on hand isn't worth much, but I've seen this question asked between the two threads four or five times now and I've repeated myself about as many as to "why can't x rock be used for y tasks anymore." It makes me think people can't look two or three posts up to see if anyone already asked recently.

You'd think the word of someone who played both into the ground over the last few years would count for something though...

@ Meph: You may want to consider some kind of early warning about that on both so people stop asking about it, either in the OP or in the manual.

I mean a simple FAQ would suffice.

But that answer gives me one more question. How exactly do you enable it? And why isn't it enabled by default? Just seems odd to say it's more useful now when you have to re-enable it's usefulness, because you've created other tasks for them that by default creates items that can only be put in quantum stockpiles or only made as an as-needed basis. Seems just like you've made things more complicated without a decided increase in real practical usefulness.

This may also help if the wiki was more filled out; a lot of the stuff is guesswork because it's incomplete. I basically had to figure out what archaeologists did when they excavate stone by trial and error; and that's another thing that apparently doesn't use all these vein stones that need to be enabled. Which I don't know what you mean by that, given I've never needed to enable or disable stone before to make it work like stone. It's just a tiny bit frustrating because it comes off as byzantine and labyrinthine rather than practical.

Though I am thankful for your help. It's just confusing for someone not used to having to do all this manually.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 22, 2019, 05:51:42 pm »

Z screen, stones, find the offending stone and make sure it's green. hit enter on it if not. They're considered useful by the game because they have a role in reactions - usually this is limited to ores and economic materials, that is kaolinite, coal/lignite, and ores that produce metals/alloys, but the mod's stuff - like the archaeologist and rockforge - make many, many stones "useful" and thus economic stones.

This is an issue with DF, not the mod.

The wiki isn't a very good resource when it comes to Masterwork, being mostly incomplete and having very sometimes outdated information.

For what it's worth, I plan to make a fortress that's going to double as a de facto tutorial, and I'll just have to be a tad more in depth about various things either in the end summary of updates or as I go, if I can find a suitable in-story reason/way to explain it.

RIVERRUN 2 WILL COME, UPON MY HONOR I SWEAR THIS.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »

Fair. I feel like a good faq would help to on the front page. Maybe explain in a little more detail what things do? I know DF in general is a game of trial and error, but things like enabling stones is a feature most people likely have never done.

I will say there's a lot of good added in the mod, but I also feel like you could save yourself a lot of hassle if you just went 'check the faq' when people asked questions over and over. Way I see it, if people keep asking a question, means that lots of people had the same issue, lol.

Edit: another thing I considered. Maybe have a bit more of an in depth explanation about what things like warpstone do? I like a lot of additions, I just feel like it requires some decent documentation to explain functions better. like, I like the gemstone armor and weapons and things. I think it's a good use for them. I do think that the refinement of ores is good too. But for things like the addition to religion, I do sort of feel lost a lot trying to understand how it works. things like the blood and water of armok could use some good documentation for example. I mean, I was reading the raws to try and figure it out, and it's a bit confusing still. I think the ideas would make more sense if I could figure out how it all works together lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:09:52 pm by armads »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:30 pm »

The manual has some limited documentation on that sort of thing (top of the launcher, hand if you don't know what something the mod added does, though it could be better.) If I'm not mistaken they can be used to make "wells" that produce buckets of water or magma, depending on which was built with which gem. Course that may have changed since 34.11.

I've actually personally never encountered unstable warpstone, but if it's anything like it is in Warhammer, then you'd best hope your miners have some good disease resistance. Possible effects include from a skim of the raws, necrosis, coughing blood, and lung failure should they fail to resist it (AKA ded miners.)

The manual would be the place for an FAQ, and it doesn't appear to have one.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:22 pm »

Hey, first off, happy to see a new version!

Been playing a bit and I'm not really happy with Phoebus; I'm not sure what happened to it, but it's all wrong. Gems and ores have the wrong sprites, the colors are all wrong (I set it to phoebus in the MW launcher), various objects have wrong sprites. It's certainly not gamebreaking, but it lost the lovely look it used to have. The gems and ores stand out a lot (too crisp/clean new texture, doesn't fit with the other stuff), and farm plots are extremely hard to read because they look so... cluttered. You used to be able to tell when something was planted, but now you have to zoom into the little bushie-thingie that covers the farm plot to look for the little green pixels telling me something is planted lol.

Long story short, can someone explain how I would go about getting my phoebus from the older MW version (or the LNP) ported over to masterwork, so everything looks pretty again?

Also, I'm assuming the changes are intentional and not just bugs where different tilesets are somehow melding and causing this weird clash of styles?

Thanks!!
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:09 pm »

Hey, first off, happy to see a new version!

Been playing a bit and I'm not really happy with Phoebus; I'm not sure what happened to it, but it's all wrong. Gems and ores have the wrong sprites, the colors are all wrong (I set it to phoebus in the MW launcher), various objects have wrong sprites. It's certainly not gamebreaking, but it lost the lovely look it used to have. The gems and ores stand out a lot (too crisp/clean new texture, doesn't fit with the other stuff), and farm plots are extremely hard to read because they look so... cluttered. You used to be able to tell when something was planted, but now you have to zoom into the little bushie-thingie that covers the farm plot to look for the little green pixels telling me something is planted lol.

Long story short, can someone explain how I would go about getting my phoebus from the older MW version (or the LNP) ported over to masterwork, so everything looks pretty again?

Also, I'm assuming the changes are intentional and not just bugs where different tilesets are somehow melding and causing this weird clash of styles?

Thanks!!

I second this. Actually, I asked similar questions a few posts back, because I tried to have the same things changed when I used Ironhand, and all the same things look different, so I guess it's on every tileset? I had the same issues with the gems/ores/colors.

Now, I fixed some of the colors by going into the LNP, finding the colors pallette folder, and then copy pasting it into the same place in the masterwork files.

that said, it didn't fix the problem of the seasons making all the colors different, or the strange tiles for the ores and stuff. Everything's all diamonds for me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2234 on: January 22, 2019, 09:07:54 pm »

to stop the seasonal color changes (which I hate) just delete "season-palette.lua" from "\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts"
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 166