Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [FAQ] - General/Technical Questions  (Read 5667 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
[FAQ] - General/Technical Questions
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:07 am »

Now and then I get asked questions that do not concern the gameplay, but rather things like: How do I install this? The settings dont work on my PC, what do I do? Can I update my savegame to the new release? (spoiler: no, you can't)

This is the place to ask all this. I will add a FAQ with the most frequently asked questions answered in this. I dont expect many remaining technical issues after that. Keep in mind that I can't answer questions about the included utilities as good as the author. If you want to know more about Dfhack, Therapist or Quickfort, please ask in their threads instead.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [FAQ] - General/Technical Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:40 am »

F.A.Q.

How do I install this mod?
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

Are the mod updates save compatible?

Is there a manual or wiki?

I changed a setting, why doesnt it work?

I changed races, but something does not work?

My worldgen crashes, what can I do?

How do I use utility X? What is utility Y for?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:12:17 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »

Ask 'em here, folks!

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:35:30 am »

Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this but..

1> The ability to toggle full-screen mode and such in the launcher doesn't work. I toggled through the options and they all result in full-screen mode

2> editing the init and init_d manually, then loading the launcher tends to overwrite the manual edits; I dont think this was the case when there was an "edit init" button/option in the launcher.. which is either gone, or well hidden cause I can't find it :(
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:48 am »

F11 iwcoyote

Alibenbaba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:52:42 am »

World Generation crashes for me when finalizing sites. I've played around with settings to create smaller worlds, but I didn't yet succeed so far. I've gone down to medium size and 250 yr of history.

There have been some hits when searching but I didn't see anything helping along. Is there a known issue and workaround?

Version is V.3, download as complete package for windows.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:00:03 am »

F11 iwcoyote

I'm aware that F11 switches between Windowed and Full Screen. Thats not what the bug report is about.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:11:07 am »

@lwcoyote: Windowed button works, I just tested it. You do need to restart the game of course, since its the init. file thats edited. And I did not change anything on how the launcher saves or loads stuff from the init.

@Alibenbaba: Are you using the included tilesets? Do you have more then 2GB ram, because you could try the LAA patcher I included, you can use mor then 2gb ram then, that helps with crashes on worldgen. Otherwise try the worldgens I did, or a shorter history. The longer the history and the bigger the world, the more crashes happen.

Alibenbaba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16:29 pm »

@Alibenbaba: Are you using the included tilesets? Do you have more then 2GB ram, because you could try the LAA patcher I included, you can use mor then 2gb ram then, that helps with crashes on worldgen. Otherwise try the worldgens I did, or a shorter history. The longer the history and the bigger the world, the more crashes happen.

Ok thank you. I've checked the executable, it already had the LAA flag set. I've completed a world gen sucessfully with  250 yrs of history, and the process took a working set of about 1.2Gig RAM. A similar run did crash earlier. I'm set for now but LAA and RAM don't seem to have been the cause.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:08 am »

Edit: I am not a clever man, and you may safely disregard pretty much this whole chunk of the discussion that has me in it.

Technical question that I suppose might be avoidable.

I keep redownloading the whole mod from the DFFD, but for some reason, PC Tools seems to have decided the settings.exe file is infected with a 'heurengine.zerodaythreat', or something to that effect, promptly deleting it and keeping me from running the program..

It notably wasn't doing this with any previous versions, and a cursory check suggests that it's only affecting the Masterwork settings.exe file, so... I'm wondering what might have changed?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:15:34 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:20:48 am »

I did a quick internet search for that name... background image change? Google search redirection? Nope, none of that happened to me. I am running a virus scan atm, but seriously, I doubt that's the case. Over 3000 people have downloaded MDF3, I'd think that more virusscanners would have found something. Also, all the other included .exes would be infected as well, all the utilities... So, I dont know whats up on your machine, but I will let you know when my full system scan is done. Probably tomorrow by the looks of it, it takes a while ^^

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:55:41 pm »

Sorry about the inconvenience.  :-X

Wouldn't normally mention it at all (this isn't the first time it's happened), but it's kind of odd for it to suddenly react to a new version of something like that...
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

(this isn't the first time it's happened)
You mean this isnt the first time your virus scanner found this virus, or that it found it in the Settings.exe of a different MDF version?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:02 pm »

This isn't the first time it has found this virus. Seems to be a rare occurance, though, and again, it doesn't 'normally' (for a given value of normal) find it between versions of stuff...

Edit: Assuming this link works, it's what PCTools has decided the problem is... Very unusual.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:34:07 pm by Deimos56 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »

Sounds like your antivirus software is very aggressive about what it considers to be suspicious.

I remember a story a couple years ago where PCTools was deleting... Skype?  I think?... from users' computers without prompting first.
Pages: [1] 2 3