Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [ELF] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.00)  (Read 9548 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: [ELF] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.00)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »

Ptw

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »

Building on meph's idea, axes could become shovels, and you 'dig up' trees to repurpose.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Vorsh99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »

Welcome to the Elf Hamlet module in development, for the Masterwork mod.  It is in the planning stage so everything is still on the table, no idea is too big or too small.  In the second post I will lay out some ideas I have so far, to kick off the discussion.

Ah, Here are suggestions I was mulling around back in the initial release...

But anyway,

Weapons made of special types of wood]

New tree types]

New buildings to create special type of wood blocks with increased strength (*cough* Ironbark *cough* Dragon age*COUGH*)]

Furniture made out of plants and not wood]

Improved plant weaving types and special fabrics blended with gems]

Multiple bread types]

Water purification fountains or infinite water wells that heal or restore wounded]

improved farming buildings]

Enemy of Drow]

Enemy of Orc]

Human Caravans]

Dwarven Caravans]

Improved Swordsmanship]

Can tame unicorns???]

Long Lived]

Can plant walls]

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:55 pm »

@Undeadlord
>> Lots of elf races to use as castes perhaps?

Yep, thanks, also good stuff.  Sticking to the neutral-to-good side of the spectrum, so no Drow, Morag Tong, or fae Winter Court; but I think several of your suggestions would fit.  Do you have any specific ideas how they would implement in game terms?  (caste creature stats, unique arms and armor, unique workshops?).  Or, link to Rock or Ghost elf info?.. i dunno what those are.

Lets see..

Grey Elves - sounds like a perfect Noble/Clerk caste to me, best teachers, maybe the only elves to do any stone work?
Also known as Mountain Elves, these elves are the most noble of elves, yet also the most arrogant. They are of higher intellectual capabilities than other elves, but, despite the fact they are taller than high elves, they are physically weaker. They live in isolated mountain strongholds, and rarely allow access to outsiders. They have silver hair and amber eyes, or gold hair and violet eyes, and wear clothes of white, silver, yellow and gold, and usually wear regally colored cloaks.

High Elves - generic elf? The Peasants of the elves?
High elves are the elves most commonly encountered by other races, and the most open and friendly of their kind. They travel to other lands more than other elves. They are generally dark-haired and green-eyed, with very pale complexions the color of new cream. They simply do not tan, no matter how much time they spend under the sun. High elves prefer to wear light pastels, blues and greens and violets, and often dwell in homes built into living wood, high in the trees.

Rockseer elves - Legion elves? Higher physical stats? Quicker to learn martial skills? Is it possible to only have them breed with other Rockseer elves?
They are far taller than most of their kin, with a few reaching almost to eight feet in height. An average weight for a Rockseer is between 120 and 140 pounds, with little gender difference. Rockseers are very pale skinned, and they have no body hair. Head hair is extraordinarily fine, always worn long, with the appearance and texture of exquisitely fine silk. The hair is silver, and eye color is a pale, almost ice-blue. They are androgynous in appearance, making it difficult for outsiders to tell males and females apart.

Avariel elves - Winged elves, very quick movement, imagine flying bow wielding elves? How cool! ... I mean how UN-DWARFISH!

Wild elves - Perhaps only elves able to transform into animals? Some kind of temple ritual that allows them to take animal form for a month?
The most reclusive of all the elves, the wild elves pride themselves on their isolation and skill at keeping hidden. Their skin tends to be brown and they have similar colored hair which lightens with age

Sylvan Elves - Forest elves, maybe the farmer caste? Makes trees grow faster, are able to harvest the wood from trees.

Most of this info comes from the Wiki article on Elves.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »

Idea: stealing away enchanted captives. Elves aren't nice, remember!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »

Wild elves are kind of already in, with the ashlanders/druids, Avariel elves wouldnt work because pathfinding for flying civ members doesnt work, and rockelves is something I personally would like to oppose, because it does not fit DF at all. But that is personal opinion, nothing else. Same goes for grey/mountain elves, it just doesnt ring a bell... Grey color, mountains, rocks... thats dwarves.  What they do is perfectly fine as a caste, I just dont like the name ;) You know, Legion elves = Legion dwarves, thats the same... but Bladedancers or Rootrunners, thats new.

Edit: "Idea: stealing away enchanted captives. " ... Was just suggested for the drow as well, cant be done at the moment.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 03:36:30 am »

would suggest a fast growing plant for wood to build with (possibly redicliously fast) for a "prime" build material to replace stone / chopped wood, if i cant chop wood / mine stone. then my elves would either 1 live in the dirt (channeled down with a "clay" floor above it) . or clay huts

clay huts are not very elvish... imho

a harvestable tree twice a season for building purposes. rename carpentry to wood shapers (and the profession)

would probably require a mithril (mithral?) reaction.

forging would be a problem w/o charcoal

metal shapers come to mind. possibly make a fuel reaction (besides booze?)

deffinately need the ability to "fix" or shape the forest - can you give plants a reaction to "transform" into a real tree? - i.e. make plot. plant seed. plant grows matures. gets infected with own syndrome. turns into tree?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:04:26 am »

You can really decide where a tree grows, but I would definitely give them access to a cheap "dfhack grow" command, that always makes all saplings into fully grown trees.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:51:04 am »

@all,
Thanks again, lots of things I like a lot, will update the brainstorming post as the ideas keep coming.

Could be done by using GOOD and EVIL tree biome tokens. Elves in good biomes would have access to magical trees, maybe giving fast access to good weapon/armor materials, like ironbark/steeloak, while elves in evil regions can use the evil trees to spawn living "tree"-creatures that are immobile, look like tree-icons, but can be moved to protect your fort.

Only problem: To get these materials the trees would have to be felled.

Solution: Change the tileset (only for when you play elves) to make wood logs look like trees, rename the "cut wood" to "move tree" or something, and then have your woodcutters repurpose trees without killing them.

Can't I just make whichever trees I want to be "moveable" or "collectable" as shrubs, that plant gatherers can pick up?  I don't want to just rename tree cutting, that turns it into an only cosmetic feature.  ... I do like the idea of having a variety of useful gatherable unique plants in different biomes, not just the ubiquitous ironbark and steeloak (although we'll certainly use those too).

Toady's next DF update will change trees a lot of course, so we'll see what that does too :D

@fasquadron, Fairin
>> Re: digging, if these are Tolkienesque Elves, the Noldor were supposed to dig just fine.
>> fast growing plant for wood to build with (possibly redicliously fast) fora "prime" build material to replace stone / chopped wood,
>> if i cant chop wood / mine stone.

I've never really been considering "no dig" for a couple reasons.  One thing, noldor/highelves are just fine stone, gem, and metal crafters, so I don't know why they wouldn't mine at least a bit, even if they aren't nearly as comfortable in the deep dark tunnels as Dwarves or Orc.  Even Thranduil's silvan hall was a cave, although I picture it with lots of windows and skylights :)  Two, i personally like playing multi civplayable races in the same world, so i try to avoid modding things that severely break that.  Most importantly, I think while it's a fun challenge mode sometimes eg. Kobold camp, in general "no dig" takes away more gameplay than it adds. ... on the other hand I hope to make the mod have enough surface survival tools that the player could *choose* to play a no-pick embark, or an aquifer/no-piercing embark, and if there's demand for it we could make a button that gives you only silvan caste elves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:09 am »

Can't I just make whichever trees I want to be "moveable" or "collectable" as shrubs, that plant gatherers can pick up? 

Ehm... well... that might be a possibility. As in: Yes. I even do this already, with ironbark/steeloak saplings... dont know why I forgot that. But that solution is of course way easier, both in modding and for the player, so please disregard it and do something incredibly eloberate and unnecessary to replace it. ;)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »

Regarding the wood problem, what about a inmobile "living tree" pet, that gives wood logs as eggs?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:00 pm »

How about instead of having a "school of the druid", having a "path of druid" (replacing druid with whatever you want, of course)?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 01:00:41 pm »

Regarding the wood problem, what about a inmobile "living tree" pet, that gives wood logs as eggs?
Using it to shear of the bark as wood would be better I think. No nestboxes involved ;)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 01:03:47 pm »

Using it to shear of the bark as wood would be better I think. No nestboxes involved ;)

Ehm... well... that might be a possibility.... But that solution is of course way easier, both in modding and for the player, so please disregard it and do something incredibly eloberate and unnecessary to replace it. ;)

I think I'll just rewrite the EXE so all eggs are saplings.
j/k of course, I like the shearable bark pet :D

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

mmm to clarify i wasn't leaning towards no dig, just if im gonna play tree shaping elves that cant collect lumber... >:) my stone fort on the surface, or mud huts on the surface.. arent very elfy >:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5