Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Masterwork on DFWiki - Awareness & Recruitment thread!  (Read 11298 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Masterwork on DFWiki - Awareness & Recruitment thread!
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:57 pm »

Hi all,

I just wanted to advertise a bit for the Masterwork section on the DFWiki. 

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page

Wiki editor Briess was nice enough to set the mod up with its own Namespace which basically just means, any page created with "Masterwork:" will get collected together, just like all the DF2012 pages are linked to each other automatically.  When you edit links into a Masterwork namespace page, by default the link will try to take you to another Masterwork page.

There are already a couple pages nicely filled in like
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Orcish_items

Of course there is plenty of room for improvement, both on those pages, and creating new content too.

If you are a Masterwork mod veteran, please consider getting in there to help, even if you don't have a lot of wiki experience!  It's quite easy to get started.  Just take a couple minutes to look at the wiki naming conventions and how to typeset links and tables and stuff ... you can be pretty much up to full speed in just a couple minutes.  Don't worry too much about making mistakes, that's the whole point of a wiki, we can always fix/edit it!  (please apply common sense to the concept of "not worrying about mistakes" ;) )

If you have technical questions about how to wiki, please post here.  I'm a wiki beginner too, but if I can't help, perhaps one of the wiki pros will stop by.

If you are a new player and really wish that some particular topic was covered in the wiki, you can post here and ask a veteran player to fill it in. Of course, if you are able to sort of typeset and lay out a blank page or table, that might help lower the barrier to someone filling it.

Also, newer players, don't be afraid to edit things yourself too! things that you learn that are still fresh in your mind might be some of the best things to have in there.  You can always post here and ask someone to double check it.

TheKevroar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork on DFWiki - Awareness & Recruitment thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:24:33 am »

Hi,
I'm one who was reading here for a long time and now I'd like to contribute in some way.
I thought that I could transfer some of the information from the maunal to the wiki.

Even if I'm not an expert of this mod I'd like to help.

Greetings TheKevroar

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:36:00 am »

@smake

You might want to explain how the frostskald spells work :P
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

@TheKevroar,

That's awesome!  Thanks.  Do you know what kind of info you want to work on yet?

If you don't have anything in mind I could suggest
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Building

will be an important page when it's done, but right now it has a lot of empty space & "red links".  You could either fill that page itself with some short text about what each building is for.  and/or make new pages in the Masterwork namespace corresponding to each workshop, using vanilla pages like http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Kitchen as a template.

@New Guy,

Yeah, I know, that would be a good next project.  The manual is more or less up to date on this topic at least. 

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »

A few though on things to add from what i recall trawling the raws for further details while playing. If i get a chance will see if i can add something over the next few weeks.

Basic armor layering advice for the masterwork armour types.
Stockpile settings for things
For the temple transformations (mages, special fighter) what abilities do they get and what do they do (E.g. Druid gets a healing and haste spell and is harder to damage)
A better tutorial/guide for scriptorium/library usage.
A updated pet guide (Special abilities, milkable for xx/shearable for xx/butcherable for xx)
An approximate comparison between weapons vs high/low armor target. Particually for ranged weapons (is a crossbow with Piercing bolts worst/comparable/better than a musket vs armored targets)
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:59:29 pm »

Yay, A thread!

Wiki editing is relatively straightforward until you get to the crazy syntax - don't worry about the crazy syntax for now.  The best way to contribute is simply to add content if you notice something missing, which takes a couple of seconds in most cases.

If you haven't made an account, you'll need to make 3 edits after you've made your account to permanently become a confirmed user and skip all captchas.  This is to prevent bots from spamming the wiki, sorry :(

Eventually the goal is to link the Masterwork Wiki content from the DFWiki main page as soon as it's matured a bit.  So yay! Let's make it awesome.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 02:32:35 am »

bump
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:26:52 am »

I'll stick my hand up for the research page since I'm already working on a table for it.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:18 am »

I don't mind contributing a bit. I've been playing MDF on and off for a while and I've got previous wiki experience from elsewhere.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:21:52 am »

I'd like to begin working on the creature pages, starting with the creatures you can embark with. I, along with a lot of other players I imagine, were distressed to learn that a lot of the vanilla creatures we take at embark were removed.

I'm going to need permissions to do so, as I've already attempted to start and could not make a new page.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:58:08 pm »

It's always nice to have new contributors! A few notes/answers to questions below above:
  • Once you've made 3 edits, you become "autoconfirmed", meaning you can create pages on your own. It doesn't really matter what pages you edit - you can even make 3 random edits to the sandbox.
  • I have a script that can generate basic creature pages, so that should take care of the permissions issue (once I get around to running it, that is).
  • If you need to create a page about a creature that doesn't exist yet, create the page with {{subst:creature/new}}, save the page, and then edit it from there. For pages about vermin, use {{subst:vermin/new}} instead. Please don't create raw pages by copying them directly from the raw files - they take up a lot of space (especially Golem raws), and there are special wiki templates that can retrieve the raws automatically.
  • On some pages, especially creature pages, there are footer templates - these include {{gamedata}}, {{creatures}}, {{buildings}}, {{Category|...}}, etc. Content should go above these templates - otherwise, they get pushed down below the footer, where they can't easily be found.
  • Links in the Masterwork namespace stay within that namespace by default - a link like [[Religion]] in a Masterwork page will link to Masterwork:Religion, so there's no need to use [[Masterwork:Religion|Religion]]. (If you need to link to the main namespace, use [[Main:...]] instead.)
I'm usually pretty active on the wiki - if you need help with editing, templates, etc. feel free to post a message on my talk page (see my sig).
There's also a group of help pages, although they could use a lot of improvement. If you can't find what you're looking for there, the MediaWiki help is useful (at least for wiki syntax).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:02:04 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:53 pm »

Lethosor, do you also have a script for building data? I'm thinking to split the temple page into the three building articles and have a parent article on religion, rather than having the three buildings in that one article.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 04:04:29 pm »

I was actually considering splitting those myself. Go ahead :)
I did use my bot to create building stubs - you can find the three temple pages already created (although they lack any useful content). Parsing useful information from the raws would be a lot harder, since there are at least ten different building sidebar templates - the script I was referring to simply creates creature raw pages, which are consistent but extremely hard to do manually (see the wiki code for eagle raws and giant eagle raws). Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to figure out which tasks, professions, items, etc. are related to a building (especially not on a wiki), since they're in so many different files. :(
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:26:23 pm »

Okay. I've already drafted most of what I'm putting in a word doc. Just doing some tables of the reactions, then I'll put them in the wiki.

Edit:

I've done the religion, monastery, shrine and altar articles. I've got all the details I need for the temple, but I might leave it until tomorrow since it's getting on late here. I'm wondering whether to include a minor spoiler warning for the reactions. I know meph specifically states in the manual that he won't spoil them and I guess some people might prefer discovering them all for themselves (which would take quite some time). What do you all think?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:34:13 pm by firefly68 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:06 pm »

Roses has written and released a perl python script that seperated reactions into single raw files. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130140.0

You could select all the building raws and all the reaction raws easily and add them to each page. Maybe you can use that? I'll ask Roses if he can give a little support on this. :)

Domestic Creature Info: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123155.msg4047611#msg4047611
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:59:34 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3 4