Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Round 13 - The Unlucky One - NationGen Edition - Il Palazzo Wins!  (Read 20853 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

It doesn't matter if Dominions only accepts 20. I gen a large number of nations then using a program I coded up I pick out the nations that qualify for what I want. Its relatively easy with regular epxressions, I just use the desciptions.txt that nationgen makes because it has the info I need. Then once I know the numbers of the nations I want to check I check the advanceddescription.txt to see if the nations are worth anything (most have bad mages) and from the culled list I open the .dm and check their seed. With the seeds I can set nationgen to seperate seeds and gen the nations I want to check in Dominions 3.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I'll make a nation just to see the insanity and for shit and giggles ; )

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hrm. So, how do I get it to re-generate a nation? I've got a list of 5 or 6 nations I want to playtest a little and I thought I could just put a list of the seeds in the seeds.txt file, change the settings.txt file to pull seeds from seeds.txt, and hit go, but it doesn't give me the same nations. At all. As an example, I'm looking to get:

-- Nation 100: Tashdan generated with seed 1452780075

that looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

That's strange. I used that seed to generate the same nation in the preview. Are you sure the number of seeds isn't off? If you had an extra seed or were missing one, that might throw everything off. Try checking to see if Nation 100 is still using the same seed in your new mod - if not, check which nation is.

e: keep in mind that I am not Elmokki, nor do I know what your specific situation is. This is just my best guess of what might be wrong and it's entirely possible you have already done this and are now angry with me for assuming you didn't.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I'm just trying to figure out what.

Well, now it's working! No idea what was wrong, but it doesn't seem to be wrong anymore.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nation 80: Burburg generated with seed -1982150790
Race: Hoburgs.
Military: Light infantry. Crossbowmen. Heavy bat and mechanical mosquito cavalry. Sacred heavy boar cavalry.
Magic: Astral, Death and Nature. Weak Earth.
Priests: Strong.

I'll have to figure out an AwesomeGods Pretender design, but I think I'm going with these guys. There's no way I can get a better nation name than this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:30:43 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Heh, I was testing a nation and a arena match was called. I send my prophet and the only other guy to show up was a prophet as well. Apparently a prophet battle is really easy to figure out. It goes Holy Avenger, Holy Avenger, and then Smite till someone falls down.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, here's my nation.
Code: [Select]
Nation 108: Sardarm generated with seed 1560825304
Race: Caelians, prefers Cold scale +1.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Crossbowmen. Sacred heavy infantry.
Magic: Air, Water, Death and Nature.
Priests: Moderate.
Because flying martial artists are awesome.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Okay I have my choice down to 2 nations so I will just run a few test games before deciding on which specific one I want.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile

Okay I have my choice down to 2 nations so I will just run a few test games before deciding on which specific one I want.

..Where is the fun in that?  :o
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Well I want to figure out which is cooler, one has Moose Cavalry and the other has Fossil Cavalry. The Moose riding nation is cool but they are not the sacred while the Fossil riders are.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Double post but for a reason. I have decided on my nation but first I will tell you of the nation that it beat out. The nation I won't be playing is the one with sacred fossil cavalry. It was amazing early game, truly a power house. Every turn for the first bit you hire a commander sacred fossil cavalry and a troop sacred fossil cavalry and thats about all you can afford. But with just that commander plus that unit you can conquer basically any indy province. The commander was a priest with 1 holy so it could bless and they smashed through the early game because its not one army tromping around its one army for every turn. On the third turn have 2 provinces, on the fourth you have 4, on the fifth you have 7, and it keeps going like that till you hit a barrier where you just don't have any more provinces adjacent to your capital so it takes time to reach new places to conquer. It can't conquer forts or else this would be the ultimate rush nation. Its only downfall is because every turn your hiring a non-mage commander you have no mid game nor really much of a late game. I want to give out the seed just so you can all feel the might of the nation in the early game but I don't want someone else to take it. Its name was djeut and after the game starts I may release the seed.
   Anyway the nation I chose is more normal and honestly slightly disappointing after the fossil riders but with decent mages and a cheap sacred troop which will let me leverage smaller blesses to great affect I will have to go with the boring option (that and moose cavalry). My nation is the following:
Code: [Select]
Udostria generated with seed 1420513045

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

To be clear - Udostria is a nation of humans with cheap temples and NSEW priest-mages (whose capital-only mages are ethereal), right? I ask because I'm not sure how nation number affects the nation that comes out and I'd prefer to get any mix-ups over with before we start the game (though I suppose we'll find out if there are any significant differences once I release the mod with everyone's nations). Currently I have them as nation 72, but there don't seem to be any differences with what you've posted of them.

Speaking of that, it looks like we have most of the people who have signed up so far. Currently, only Waterplouf and Thtblovesdf have shown interest but haven't yet submitted nations, and Waterplouf hasn't posted since early on page 1. There's no rush for anyone, of course. Unless you happen to be interested but haven't yet posted, in which case there absolutely is a rush! We have at least six, more likely to be seven or eight people, which is enough for a decently sized round, so it's entirely possible to miss this if you don't speak up and tell me you want to join in.

e: hahaha holy crap i just realized my nation's assassins wield a short sword, a broadsword, and another broadsword, this is why i love nationgen
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:57:16 pm by Darkwind3 »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

All that matters with the nation is the seed because if the nation number mattered my nation would be unusable because it was originally genned as number 1739. What the nation number represents is its game id.

Edit: oh and yeah that is my nation

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He just wants to make sure he ended up with the right nation because you didn't really specify much about it. There's really no harm in saying a bit more because we can gen the nation if we want to have a look ourselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13