Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Round 13 - The Unlucky One - NationGen Edition - Il Palazzo Wins!  (Read 20888 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Okay I see, I just know to much about nation gen apperently...   So yeah the seed is what determines it all and anyone can gen my nation from the seed, same with all of yours. I have and it works just fine (barring Darkwinds own nation as I did not see a seed for it anywhere, can we has it please Darkwinds?). Heres what my nation is
Code: [Select]
Nation 72: Udostria
-----------------------------------
Race: Humans, Abysian auxillaries, prefers Heat scale +3.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Light moose cavalry. Chariots. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Water and Astral. Weak Earth and Nature.
in my test gen where I have everyones and my other nation.

Edit: missed the priest line, they are strong. Thats part of what held me back because I wanted either some [censored] sacred or (the one I went with) cheap sacred units with strong priests so I can expand nicely without losing out too much in early mage production because I can make less sacreds rather than choosing between taking provinces or making mages.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:19:54 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

My seed is actually in the opening post! :P I suppose it's rather hidden though. It's the example post that's quoted in the middle.
For completion, though,
Code: [Select]
-- Nation 76: Ettles generated with seed 1165198899
Race: Humans.
Military: Heavy infantry. Crossbowmen. Light cavalry and heavy horse, spider and pegasus cavalry. Sacred Caelian heavy infantry.
Magic: Astral and Blood. Weak Water and Nature.
Priests: Strong, can perform blood sacrifices.

As to seeds, I've been using seed 0 to fill in the blanks between peoples' nations, and the typical trend is 3-4 repeat nations (Eholm, then Eholm I-IV which are identical, for example) before switching to a new nation. I'm not sure whether that's due simply to repeating the same seed or to the different placement, though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Do we need more players? I'd rather not make this a huge game. The bigger it is, the longer it lasts, and in late game it becomes less improtant what nation you are playing as everybody starts to rely on summons anyway.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never mind.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Six would be a nice round number of players to start a game with. I do have a question though. The Other People's Mod, are we using it? Cause I should probably get that if we are...
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's use it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm out of this round, I just can't find the right nation for me and after some 120 or so tested (12x 10) I'm calling it quits.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

In that case, I think we have everyone we're going to get. There's still the question of what map we will use to determine before we get started, though. I'm still a fan of using a randomly generated map, but if there's a preference for a set map I'm fine with that. If we do use a random map, should I use the random map generator that comes with the game? There are a couple utilities, RanDom being probably the most polished, which I could use instead.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Random is a good idea. Whichever way you feel like using.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. If you think RanDom can give us a more interesting/fair map without adding too much trouble for you then go for it, but the in-game random map generator is probably good enough.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

I have a problem with the mod. I have been fooling around with the other people's mods thing and when I look at the pretender chassis of some pretenders in the select chassis screen they show with some magic paths (for example the freak lord is showing 4 nature and 4 blood) but when I select it and go into the magic selection screen it only shows 1 in any of the paths they have (freak lord ends up with 1 nature and 1 blood) and this isn't just the mod not updating the freak lord correctly for instance because unmodded the freak lord only has 1 blood. I tried redownloading the mod but that did not work so I assume I must be getting it from the wrong place or something.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's actually how they've done some of the chassis. The human ones often are supercasters but with weaker blesses, so the Freak Lord will have 4N4B with regards to casting, but only 1N1B as far as blesses go. Titans (and the Phoenix I think) are often the other direction, where they'll have poorer casting and better blesses. Normally the pretenders with better blesses have comments made in their text, but the dom3 mod inspector (link) is a good place to go for pretender stats if you're unsure.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Huh, well thats...
interesting

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretenders are overall much more powerful and specialized. It's definitely a different flavor. It's also interesting that nationgen nations have pretenders generated but there's no way to know which ones until you load them up or dig through mod files, as far as I know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13