Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Round 13 - The Unlucky One - NationGen Edition - Il Palazzo Wins!  (Read 20587 times)

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

As several games seem to be winding down, and spring is in the air, I think there is time for a new round of Dominions. This one, though comes with a twist - since I've seen demand for it (albeit far in the past), we will be using NationGen.

General Game Information
Name - Bay12GamesRound13
Hosting Schedule - 26 hours, increases by request
Age - see below

All game settings default, but renaming on.

Nation Selection - see below
Map - See Note 2.
Mods - Other Peoples' Mods + NationGen (see Note 2)

Victory Conditions - 50%+1 Capitals, or by agreement
Diplomacy - Machiavellian, i.e. anything goes (see "How does MP work?" for the details)

Player List
1. Darkwind3 - Ettles
2. Il Palazzo - Nefurt
3. Boksi - Maelmar
4. Karlito - Burburg
5. Bluerobin - Sardarm
6. Akhier the Dragon hearted - Udostria

Note: if you happen to find a nation you look better than the one you signed up for, you are welcome to post the new number and seed. However, your previous nation will be open - anyone else can claim it, if they care to.

Note 2: The map and mod used can be downloaded from this link right here.

IMPORTANT: We are using the 30th of August 2012 version, linked right back there. The version number you ought to see is "Filter updates vol 1(30th of August 2012)".

This game will use NationGen to randomly generate new nations for each player to play as. every player must use a nation randomly created with NationGen - so nobody can play, say, Caelum. The Middle Era will be used, since that's the default with the mod so there's no need to fiddle with it. This means independents and initial gem income will be appropriate for the Middle Era, so keep that in mind.

How will nations be chosen?
Using the EXACT AND TOTALLY UNMODIFIED version of UnitGen linked above you may generate as many nations as you wish. Once you find a suitably batshit insanely overpowered nation you wish to play, open the .dm file. There along the first lines you should find something like

Code: [Select]
-- Nation 72: Honmito generated with seed 472730085

Do also make sure there's a line exactly like:
Code: [Select]
-- Generated with version Filter updates vol 1(30th of August 2012).
above the line you need to paste.

Paste that to the thread. If you use a modified version of UnitGen chances are your seeds will generate different nations on my computer so don't. You should also probably tell some basic details about your nation so I can make sure the seed system (still) works correctly.

For example - I would post,
Quote from: myself
-- Nation 76: Ettles generated with seed 1165198899

Ettles is a nation of humans with Caelian sacreds and S/B recruit-everywhere mages.

If I, while compiling the mod, instead found this to be a nation of Vanir with crippled, fat hoburg sacreds, 600 gold temples and old W/A/N mages, I would know something was up (rather than wondering what the hell I was on when I decided to take it). I encourage you all to search for the craziest nation you can find, since ridiculous things are NationGen's bread and butter.

Previous rounds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7&7.5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Spoiler: How does MP work? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Useful links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:11:54 pm by Darkwind3 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm... can I handle 3 games at once?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile

Sign me up. I'll send a nation tonight!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Its nice to see a new round not started by me though I won't be joining in on this as I want to get better at the base games nation list before trying something like this. That and I need to make a MA game myself so I can have played all of Tien Chi which I apparently have a fetish for or something. Anyway good luck with this thing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

Well, there's no rush to begin the game :P To be honest, I'm not sure there are enough players for four games at once, even if two are in the winding-down stage. I'd be glad to have you on board if you can find the time, though.

Again, there's no need to rush! Take your time finding the perfect ethereal, awe +2, fear, defense-22 van recruit-everywhere sacreds with explosive spears. (Or don't do that because I'm pretty sure NationGen would never generate those unless they cost 200+ gold, and they would be capital-only anyways).

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, there's no rush to begin the game :P To be honest, I'm not sure there are enough players for four games at once, even if two are in the winding-down stage. I'd be glad to have you on board if you can find the time, though.

Again, there's no need to rush! Take your time finding the perfect ethereal, awe +2, fear, defense-22 van recruit-everywhere sacreds with explosive spears. (Or don't do that because I'm pretty sure NationGen would never generate those unless they cost 200+ gold, and they would be capital-only anyways).

How about NO. I'll pick the dumbest/awesomest combo i can find!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got recruit-everywhere, flying, sacred, berserker human heavy infantry with 14 magic resistance and a werewolf second form on my first nation. Oh and they somehow carry both a long spear (with halt sacred) and a shield.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got recruit-everywhere, flying, sacred, berserker human heavy infantry with 14 magic resistance and a werewolf second form on my first nation. Oh and they somehow carry both a long spear (with halt sacred) and a shield.

I got wyvern riding cavelry in full plate, magic weapons and awe. This is nuts...

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

I got wyvern riding cavelry in full plate, magic weapons and awe. This is nuts...
If you'll notice, my sacred Caelians are actually awe +1, ethereal heavy infantry (and obviously fly). They have a poisonous spear and punch things with their sacred fists. One of my first nations was actually defense-22, awe+0, ethereal sacred van horsemen with lances that exploded. Nuts is the name of the game. That's why nationgen is so much fun!

Don't forget to make sure your mages are half-decent! You don't want to have crazy sacreds but be stuck with crappy mages who can't do anything.

e: not that I expect anyone to be putting forth the effort to peek at others' nations until we're all done.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:33:22 pm by Darkwind3 »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Edit: If I keep editing this I might make up my mind. First I am in and second how do I use NationGen?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:02:18 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this looks awesome, count me in !
First nation was a bunch of fish throwing atlantaians  :P .

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile

As long as the map will be either very big, or balanced - Sign me in. This should be crazy enough!

Go sacred bear cataphract archers! (who also make blood sacrifices)

With this being said, if someone (cough Akhier, cough) wants to start Round 14 without Unitgen, I'm also (more) interested in that :O
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:15:30 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

I personally try to stay away from having multiple games inbound at any one time. While we can apparently support a number of games trying to get multiple ones off the ground at once doesn't seem like a hopeful proposition.
   Also how does one use nationgen, I assume I am missing something obvious because everyone else seems to be able to use it just fine. Note my brain is somewhat deep fried from a ton of studying so keep it simple.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Run the program.
Generate a batch of nations.
Move them from the Unitgen Mod folder to your Dominions Mod folder.
Check the descriptions.txt file in the mod folder for nations that look interesting.
Start a new game with that nation and see what they got going on.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to have to withdraw from this one. I'm not really liking the insanity that going to be going on with Nationgen.

However, I am more than willing to start round 14 if anyone is interested.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13