Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10 ambushes in a row  (Read 2530 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
10 ambushes in a row
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:43 am »

hey.so,i modded drow(and by modding i mean took the deep drow from the masterwork mod,changed some ethics then made a new drow creature which was essentially an elf by other name) and started a fort.in the first years they sent me snatchers,then small ambushes and today they sent me 10 ambushes at the same time.the force was practically equal to a siege,and it was lots of fun hunting down elk bird riders with my three legendary squads.but the way they attacked really surprised me.was that something i put on the raws,or a coincidence?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: 10 ambushes in a row
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:13 am »

I'm not good at modding the game, but I think posting your raws might let other people help you.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:44 am »

good point

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »

It might be old ambushes that stuck there, and you discovered all of them at once?
Happened to me once.... An entire army of ambushers that got stuck in the cavern over 10 years... Oh the pain...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:19:40 pm by Swonnrr »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:11 pm »

If I remember correctly, many ambushes can arrive at once and need to be discovered separately.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:02:54 pm »

The details on how ambushers vs. siegers show up is still largely a mystery as far as I know.  You absolutely can have multiple ambush squads show up though, and yes, each has to be discovered independently.  The most I recall ever having from a single enemy civilization at once was 4 or maybe 5.

Having said that, if there are multiple enemy civilizations nearby you can get ambushes from them separately and potentially at the same time.  In theory there's no hard limit.

Lastly, I've seen weird cases where ambushers get stuck on the map edge and just sit there for sometimes years before something jostles them awake.  You could have run into such an instance.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:34:22 pm »

Yeah, I had a modding mishap where invaders came in ambush waves of hundreds. Granted, easy mopped up with magma, but still a pain. It could be a case of duplicated raws, or worse, two Drow civs are really close to you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:36:44 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:56:13 pm »

In my experience multiple squads come with many ambushes, but you get a pop-up when each individual squad is revealed (I average around 3 when this happens). So you probably just got an extreme statistical outlier in terms of the number of squads showing up, possibly twice if two goblin civs were close by.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:01:24 pm »

Dont elven sieges show up as "ambushes"?

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:25:59 am »

I've had something like 7-8 groups show up together, but then they were from 3 different civs, using the Masterwork mod. My guess is it's possible to have many groups from a single civ. Just rare.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 03:31:17 am »

hmmm.i copied many things from the elves,so that's probably why this happened.that or a crazy coincidence.i have only one drow civilization near me.all 10 ambushes were drow units,too.can't complain,though,it was really amusing and quite challenging too.what really bugs me,though,is that the sum was essentially a siege force,complete with unit leaders and various units...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:02:21 am »

That's probably it. elves attack by sending massive numbers of ambushers, It's basically their version of a siege, with roughly equivalent numbers.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

As they said above, elves seige with ambushes.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:18:56 am »

ok,thanks for your help,guys

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:42 pm »

A bit late, but:

Their ambushes are completely invisible sieges. They send a siege, and each squad is like its own little ambush. Its perfectly normal, just like elves do in vanilla.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::