Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play: Quarantine Simulator 1997  (Read 9012 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Imperium Galactica: Bay12 Psych Test
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:40:08 am »

Make him the Duke Nukem of spess commanders!
1 - C
2 - C
3 - A
4 - C
5 - C
6 - A
7 - A
8 - A

Does this test have any impact on the game anyway?

Als i must say that i don't really like fighter mechanics in IG... they just fly up and stand there getting shot like some battlecruiser.
It's up to you tho.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:58:20 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »

A. Yes, I do lack self-confidence.
C Off the wall assumptions.
C. Never.
A. Yes.
A. Nothing compares to a well authored poem.
C. Never.
A. I couldn't care less.
A. At the drop of a hat.

When you are in the universe of the damned, it's best to swim with the current.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

Two things:

1) Letting us answer the test guarantees a game over, because if you answer like a psychopath, then it's game over.  And how else do you expect us to answer it?   :P

2) You've made a big mistake by building the spaceship factory first.  What you really need is money.  However, since you've already spent the money, might as well let it ride.  You can get money by building trade spaceports on every planet, then building banks on planets with trade spaceports.  You'll have to build additional power plants to power those, but it is SO worth it.  I'd also suggest selling the research centers to fund your trade buildings: You won't be using them for several hours, and you really need the money now.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »

It never ceases to amaze me how you can post a LP about any obscure game on this forum and some grognard will come along to guide you through the intricacies.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:15 pm »

Does this test have any impact on the game anyway?

It's mostly fluff, but like EuchreJack it can end your game if you answer poorly. My (non-LP) playthrough got that far into the game.

2) You've made a big mistake by building the spaceship factory first.  What you really need is money.  However, since you've already spent the money, might as well let it ride.  You can get money by building trade spaceports on every planet, then building banks on planets with trade spaceports.  You'll have to build additional power plants to power those, but it is SO worth it.  I'd also suggest selling the research centers to fund your trade buildings: You won't be using them for several hours, and you really need the money now.

I haven't built a spaceship factory yet, thankfully. It's just my strategy at this point. If you want me to spend my extra money on trade buildings, I'll gladly go for it.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can post a LP about any obscure game on this forum and some grognard will come along to guide you through the intricacies.

I don't think that it holds true for any obscure game, but at least it means that I don't have to appear more comically inept than I already am.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:43 am »

If you're referring to me, the first time I've played this game was after this topic was started.  I just got farther in the campaign and (possibly) read more about the game.  Notice that I didn't weigh in on fighters vs. destroyers, as I honestly don't know.  Also, I only meddle when I like the game/genre.   :P

I haven't built a spaceship factory yet, thankfully. It's just my strategy at this point. If you want me to spend my extra money on trade buildings, I'll gladly go for it.

Actually, I've changed my mind, lol.  I suspect the mission clock doesn't go forward until after you build your first spaceship factory (but I honestly have no idea), so I suspect it would be best to get your first spaceship factory and barracks as soon as possible.

I'd suggest selling the research facilities and using the cash to build one spaceship factory, one barracks (on achilles), and as many trade ports as possible with what is left.  In the subsequent turns, more trade ports, then barracks, then banks, using excess funds to purchase type 2 fighters.  Dunno if it is best, but it's what I did.  Sadly, captain rank is mostly waiting around for the events to fire.

Other fun things to do (in whatever order/priority anyone prefers):
1) Build an equipment and/or weapon factory (weapon factory allows you to upgrade your current and future capital fleet with more dakka, whereas equipment gives you shields for build destroyers)
2) Build morale-boosting facilities (churches are great, I'm partial to bars as well)
3) Expand food/housing on the two beginning worlds that have nothing, although they need morale buildings before their populations will grow.

Thing I don't know, but suspect: Growth is connected to happiness.  Happier populations grow more, unhappy populations decrease population (whether they move or die, I dunno).

Good luck, I look forward to future adventures!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:07 pm »

Now, let's see just how borderline mentally disturbed we can make this guy.

1. I lack self-confidence when it comes to relationships! Do these feelings describe your inner emotions?
C. I am always confident in relationships.

2. If I need to make spur of the moment decisions, my responses are often:
C Off the wall assumptions.

3. When I have problematic issues, am I still optimistic?
A. Always

4. Do I ever let my emotions get the better of me?
A. Yes.

5. An inspiring piece of poetry is of more importance than the most powerful weapon.
C. Mass destruction is the greatest thrill of all.

6. I am strong enough to face my fears.
A. Always.

7. When I get the blame for situations beyond my control, I feel:
A. I couldn't care less.

8. Because rationality does not always get the desired response, you may have to resort to extreme measures!
A. At the drop of a hat.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »

Yep Beer Nuts are the best  :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Quarantine Simulator 1997
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »

Update 2

Spoiler: Fun Times Ahead (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Medical Emergency (click to show/hide)

Not much to talk about this update. We've got a couple factories up and running, and soon we'll be producing and outfitting destroyers of our own. Money-wise we could be better, but that's why we have morale-boosting buildings and taxes. The only real reason I'm ending the update here is because... Well... It should be pretty obvious if you've read the thing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Quarantine Simulator 1997
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »

The virus mission is actually quite easy if you can prevent any ships at all from arriving at the infected planet. At that point, you can fast forward while just checking every ten seconds (on fast forward) instead of having to worry about infected traders sneaking past your navy.

Anyway, calm down, you only have to do it one more time. After that, you can tell your commander that something obviously weird is happening and you'll never have to deal with viruses again.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Quarantine Simulator 1997
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 09:26:37 pm »

Once again, I remember the videos being ugly and the early game missions tedious... but I forgot just how ugly and tedious.

Also, I remember doing either a quarantine mission or some kind of "catch the smuggler" thing, and I was talking to every ship that went to or from a planet (not realizing it would just tell you).  You can try to talk to anyone and tell them to turn around, and if you don't actually have a good reason you'll say crazy shit and they respond in kind.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2]