Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke: Dry edition.  (Read 5667 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke: Dry edition.
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:19 pm »

Rules:

1. When a Pokemon faints, it's dead – put it in a graveyard box and never use it again.
2. I am only allowed to catch one Pokemon per route. This includes water.
3. I can only catch the first wild Pokemon I encounter in each route. The exceptions to these rules are routes 101 and 103 until I am given pokeballs – and fixed encounters like the legendaries.
4. If all my Pokemon faint, then it's game over.

The starting town.

So I start the game in the back of a moving truck and emerge no worse for the wear into Littleroot Town – Three buildings and a remarkable lack of roads. I am informed by my mother that a group of Pokemon are doing our moving for us and am ushered upstairs to set a clock. I haven't the heart to tell her that my cartridge is pushing ten years and the internal battery long since ran dry, so I just spin the clock hands a little and call it a day.

Then I am shoo'ed across the street to go make friends with the other respectable property owners in town, namely Prof. Birch and his wife and daughter.  His wife basically just waves me through “Oh, next door neighbour boy, eh? Daughter's upstairs, go to'er.” after giving me a brief glance.

So I talk to MAY, my soon to be arch-nemesis. She tells me she was hoping we could be friends and also that she might have attention deficit disorder before running away. I shrug and go see what else there is to do in town. I chat with a somewhat fat gentleman who tells me about computers and another guy who speculates on the nature of Prof. Birch's routine.

NPC: PROF. BIRCH spends days in his LAB studying, then he'll suddenly go out in the wild to do more research...When does PROF. BIRCH spend time at home?
Me: Is it really any of your business?

Then I wander into the professor's lab and am told at length about the concept of fieldwork and the definition thereof. My eyes glaze over before the lab aide is done and I wander to the northern edge of town looking for something to do. At the entrance to town I see a small, bespectacled child who tells me Professor birch is in trouble, so I bravely venture forth.

Professor Birch is being attacked by wild dogs. He's dropped his purse full of pokemon so I waltz right over and inspect them. I pick the Treecko on some sort of bizarre hunch that he'll reward me with it later and sick the Treecko on the rabid Poochyenas.

*pound*
*tackle*
*pound*
*tackle*
*pound*

It would be a rather short thread if I was defeated there. The poochyenas are driven off and the Professor kindly fades-to-black and teleports us back to his lab, where he gifts the Treecko on me and then tells me to go battle his daughter. I am actually presented with the chance to refuse this task but since it's a yes/no/but-thou-must loop I just agree to do it and wander north.

A guy wandering around in the tall grass on route 101 explains that tall grass is dangerous to me and I blithely ignore his warnings by sauntering right through the grass to get to the next town. I arrive in Oldale town without incident.

The next town looks kinda like this.

I meet a storekeeper who pulls me by the ear to his venue and hands me a potion. I am told all about the wonders of mercantilism. After politely waving him off I venture further north to Route 103, which is entirely unremarkable and doesn't deserve a picture.

But I got one anyways.

I go say hello to May at the top of the hill and after a totally uninteresting conversation we commence to do battle. I send out Treecko, now bearing a nickname, and she sends out a Torchic. Treecko punches Torchic until May decides I won.

Then May praises my skill as a Pokemon trainer and we both walk back to Littleroot. Professor Birch tells me that May has extensive experience as a Pokemon trainer and has been helping him assemble a pokedex. I guess she must have gotten her Pokemon diploma online or something, since she didn't exactly do well against a total newbie like me. Anyways, Birch shoves a pokedex and five pokeballs in my direction and tells me to venture around the continent in the name of science.

It's a good enough reason, I suppose. My mother gives me running shoes as I leave town and I notice something: In town are three buildings; My house, Birch's house, and Birch's lab. Asides from my family and Birch's family there are four other people in town who are presumably homeless or part of Birch's family. Given that there is exactly one bed per residence this leads me to believe that Littleroot is occupied by a homeless mob.

So moving into the grass in route 101, I encounter my first wild Pokemon!

Crap.

Oh well, I catch it anyways. Wendy joins the team. Then, I saunter into Route 103 and run into team member number 3.

Better!

Beth is an easy capture and her ability is Pickup, which means she'll be occasionally acquiring treasure for me in the background, which is pretty swell and better than the alternative. I would have liked a poochyena, but that's the way it goes. Tune in next time for some combat type stuff.

Starter – Treecko – Maheaux, lvl 8
Route 101 – Wurmple – Wendy, lvl 4
Route 102 – Have not been.
Route 103 – Zigzagoon – Beth, lvl 4

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke: Dry edition.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »

So today I set my sights on the local Pokemon centre. It's basically a combination of a Hospital and an Inn. Sometimes the locals give you valuable clues or advice, and there's free healing and the ability to switch around which Pokemon are in your party.

NPC Old man: That PC in the corner there is for any POKEMON TRAINER to use. Naturally, that means you're welcome to use it too.
NPC Woman: The POKEMON CABLE CLUB on the second floor was built recently. I traded Pokemon right away.
NPC Man: POKEMON CENTERS are great! You can use their services as much as you like, and it's all free. You never have to worry!

All very basic information that is very helpful to a new player, I am sure. We're going to ignore the Cable Club for the entirety of the game because I can accomplish precisely nothing there. Moving on, we head to route 102. It was previously blocked by a man with long hair and glasses, but he has decided to move out of the way. I question his motives.

NPC Man: I finished sketching the footprints of a rare POKEMON. But it turns out they were only my own footprints...

I wonder if there's something in the water here. I proceed to talk to everyone in town, purely to make this an informative LP and to pad out the update.

NPC Woman: When a pokemon battle starts, the one at the left of the list goes out first. So, when you get more POKEMON in your party, try switching around the order of your POKEMON. It could give you an advantage.
NPC Woman: I want to take a rest, so I'm saving my progress.
NPC Woman: When POKEMON battle, they eventually level up and become stronger.
NPC Man: If the POKEMON with you become stronger, you'll be able to go farther away from here.

I head out onto Route 102.

Waltzing into the tall grass scares out another Zigzagoon. Not terribly exciting but it'll certainly do. Ruffles joins the team. He's the same level and has Pickup, just like Beth.

NPC Man: I'm going to catch a whole bunch of POKEMON.

I wander eastwards, but suddenly...

I am attacked by a youngster!

Youngster: If you have POKEMON with you, then you're an official POKEMON TRAINER! You can't say no to my challenge!

And then battle commences!

Youngster Calvin opens with his Zigzagoon, level 5. I send out Wendy the Wurmple, level 4. The battle is basically a tackle fest at first, but it becomes clear Wendy can't keep up. After two turns the enemy is barely scratched and Wendy's at half health, so I switch to Maheaux, the Treecko. Calvin's Zigzagoon gets a free tackle in because I switched, but it only scratches Maheaux. Then Maheaux basically eats the life force of Zigzagoon in two turns.

Maheaux: OM NOM NOM
Zigzagoon: Blarg! *dead*

Youngster: Arrgh, I lost.. I should have trained mine more...
Youngster: Listen, you. If you're strong, you should have told me before!

Moving on, I am then attacked by a bug catcher.
Bug Catcher: Haha! Our eyes met! I'll take you on with my BUG POKEMON!

Bug Catcher Rick has two pokemon. He opens with a Wurmple and I send out Beth, a Zigzagoon.

We trade tackles, and Beth drops to 8/18 before the enemy faints. I have battle mod set to SET because it's fairer, and so am not presented with the chance for a free switch out. He sends out another Wurmple, which I again order tackled.

He retaliates with string shot. Beth's speed falls.
Beth tackles again. He tackles back and Beth drops to 5 HP.

At this point, I SHOULD switch out, but the hell with that – I live on the edge. I issue another tackle order, and the Wurmple uses string shot again. I tackle again, and he uses string shot. And another tackle finishes the job. Beth gains a level for living dangerously.

Bug Catcher Rick: Ow! Down and out!

We take some of his money and move on.

Child: I'm not very tall, so the grass goes right up to my nose. Fwafwafwafwafwa.
Me: That's a remarkable helicopter impression.

Then yet another trainer attacks.

Youngster: Did you just become a TRAINER? We're both beginners!

This battle is a lot more interesting. I open up with Wendy and he sends out a Poochyena, level 5. Since Wendy's already damaged quite a bit I only sent her out first for the participation experience, so I switch to Treecko and proceed to watch the life get sucked out of the Poochyena. Then the Youngster sends out a Taillow, which is a flying type. He's got type advantage here in that it resists absorb and he also has peck, which is super effective. However, he is not resistant to the crushing power of fists and is broken in two punches. If the Taillow had been a level or two higher it might have been a significant threat, but at level 3 it was a warm-up.

Youngster: I called you because I thought I could beat you...I haven't won once yet...I wish I would win soon...

I leave this youngster to his woe and continue on. As the battles get thicker I am likely going to abbreviate them a lot. On the way I spot a couple berry bushes, and nab them. I think berries rely on the internal clock and so we're simply going to take what we find and give nothing back. 2 Oran berries, which are very weak healing items, and 2 Pecha berries become mine. Pecha berries can be used to cure poison and can be used either as a held item or through the menu. They're pretty handy.

Lass: I'm going to keep winning and aim to be the best TRAINER. Help me further my career!

The oddly named Lass Tiana attacks with her Zigzagoon horde. Maheaux eats them.

I ended up furthering your career...To keep winning my way up, I see that I have to catch more POKEMON.

Then I snag the potion laying around in a corner and stroll into Petalburg city. In the next update: Petalburg city.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:29 am »

The next town looks kinda like this.
Whta is that from?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:45 pm »

It's from Google. I just did an image search on the town.

Man, I wish I could actually put together decent threads. This is garbage.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:06:50 pm »

I'm having fun reading. I think its a pretty good formating so fad
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

I always like reading Nuzlocke run report, so... good luck! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."