Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS  (Read 27978 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:46 am »

Anyone have good info on the current state of this game? I was tempted to buy it at one point but had no money.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:50 am »

One problem: there is no possible way anything could be a level-up from "Brewmaster". Anything else must be a grave mistake.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2014, 10:47:10 am »

Anyone have good info on the current state of this game? I was tempted to buy it at one point but had no money.
theres not much still, houses technically work now but the only available worker classes are Trapper and Carpenter, next anticipated update will add in farming to the game.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »

I don't understand. Based on what I've seen from release till now, the development pace could best be described as "glacial". This isn't exactly the most difficult thing to program.

What are they spending all their time on?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »

Infrastructure. I've worked in the field, and I can tell you that software development is like a swan. Above the water, it appears to be an elegant, efficient beast traveling placidly. Under the water, it's all scaly legs flapping around crazily.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:56 pm »

Infrastructure. I've worked in the field, and I can tell you that software development is like a swan. Above the water, it appears to be an elegant, efficient beast traveling placidly. Under the water, it's all scaly legs flapping around crazily.

I do game programming myself thanks. I still maintain my position.

Given the point it was at during the kickstarter, is there just not enough money to work on it full time? Hasn't it been like 2 years?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »

Given the point it was at during the kickstarter, is there just not enough money to work on it full time? Hasn't it been like 2 years?
umm technically a year still and from what i understand this is all inhouse engine work so everything is groundup.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:18 am »

umm technically a year still and from what i understand this is all inhouse engine work so everything is groundup.

Ah, okay its not as bad if its only a year.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2015, 09:25:18 pm »

Ok, I have to admit...

After seeing how they are making the system with a sort of computerized DM who generates encounters and trials based on the players and their settlements.

It makes me believe the persistent worlds idea is actually a really good idea now.

Maybe they will work on that as an expansion.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:17 pm »

Anyone been trying this out lately?

I finally booted it up last night and I have to say, it's got some nice potential. Still waaaay too buggy right now for my tastes, especially one of the core components of the game. Namely, custom buildings. My guys keep stopping halfway through building them and it's a giant pain to get them to restart construction. There is also a serious lack of in-game information about stuff, although that's to be expected for a game in Alpha.

Overall, though, I'm impressed with what they've done. I think when they get it finished it should be a nice little game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2015, 03:15:29 pm »

I have been waiting for them to iron it out a bit. I have been watching it for a very long time though

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2015, 03:31:21 pm »

Well, the game is finally available in Early Access on steam.

It's an early access game so...expect it to be buggy and very much in development. I have been playing it a bit more than I thought I would, though. The game really appeals to the Dwarf Fortress player in me.

The dev team has also been very transparent on what they're working on and it seems to have a very active fanbase from its kickstarter days.

So...if you're willing to dive into an Early Access game I'd say go for it. If not, I expect this game to be pretty good by the time it gets out of Early Access.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2015, 03:35:41 pm »

I will warn that even for an early access title it will feel VERY raw and unfinished.

It definitely won't hit your fun bones full strength.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2015, 08:40:19 am »

I picked this up last night. Bright, colorful, good art design, whimsical sound design... and a pretty decent UI. Farming, carpentry, blacksmithing, masonry, weaving, trapping, sheep-herding, cooking, and soldiering are all professions now and the little guys keep well enough on task in the latest 'early release alpha' build. Hearthling profiles are neatly handled with a big colorful "d6" looking graphic that displays their three rolls on the 1d6 stats; body, mind and spirit. This makes it so easy to assign very creative, tough or brave people to various jobs. I love the custom house construction. There is huge potential here. I managed to create a classic American red-roof barn with a hayloft full of straw beds after some trial and error, and it was great to just save the blueprint and reuse it in later towns.

Alpha-gripes; building construction does remain buggy and prone to crashing and I have trouble getting a two room house to construct correctly. There's also a lack of feedback from jobs if they can't be performed for lack of materials; a little 'Urist cancels construction, no wood' spam would be a welcome addition. Also I can't quite nail down what core gameplay is. Is this a survival town defense game? There's a shortage of noteworthy threats if that is the case. Most goblins panic and run when facing the peasant rabble, which makes them so cute you just want to enslave them into the coal mines rather than kill them.

It does, however, enjoy a gorgeous Legend of Zelda feel and bugs aside, the production quality is very good. I have a feeling this team will go "all the way" as Kerbal did.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:06 am »

How does this compare to Timber and Stone?

I have Timber and Stone.

Can anyone compare the two?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10