Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS  (Read 27982 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:11 am »

They are similar...

There...is that satisfactory?

(I have not played either so sadly that is the depth of my comparison)

That being said I have struggled with which one to get for like a year now...and still don't have either lol

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2015, 11:15:25 am »

They're working on the pathing, and they keep up with their weekly announcements. All things considered I think they're doing well. It still isn't acually a game yet, but it will be a good one.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2015, 11:21:32 am »

How does this compare to Timber and Stone?

I have Timber and Stone.

Can anyone compare the two?

I don't have Timber and Stone, although now it's on my watch list. However, based on the trailer for T&S and some reading on it I'd say it's further along than Stonehearth. Can't speak to how much fun it is in comparison or how they'll likely match up by the time both are done, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2015, 11:45:09 am »

Also Timber and Stone is made by one guy and Stonehearth is a team...unless things have changed on the T&S side of things. Assuming that means anything worthwhile I would imagine the scope or at least the production value and polish of Stonhearth should be a bit better than T&S

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

Also I can't quite nail down what core gameplay is. Is this a survival town defense game? There's a shortage of noteworthy threats if that is the case. Most goblins panic and run when facing the peasant rabble, which makes them so cute you just want to enslave them into the coal mines rather than kill them.

In the stretch goals(which were reached) they included PvP city raids and an enemy faction of elementals. Boss raids were also part of the core game concept, with the trailer showing off a giant Cthulu rampaging through a city.

If you check the Roadmap, the Combat Engine shows still in progress, and the 'Monsters and Denizens' section has hardly been touched. So I'd say they're still going to develop that area a lot.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2016, 02:03:37 pm »

Huh, interesting.

Today's update video actually addresses the question "What is Stonehearth?"

It's actually one of the most reassuring videos I've ever seen where they basically said "We weren't really sure what we were doing...." And in the end I'm happy with what they've framed themselves as.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »

Hahaha, nice.

I've been looking forward to it and its development, since it looks good and plays rather nice. But it's one of the rare games that I've played and didn't see or feel the underlying point or vision of the developers. And I guess they said that themselves (watched it on 2x speed).

I haven't bought it yet because not getting that 'feeling' / 'drive' behind a game and its developers is probably the biggest red flag to Early Access titles.
I always felt weird about it because I've seen them doing good progress, that's why I eventually read changelogs and things like that.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:58 pm »

This game is actually pretty good right now, but I'm not really feeling it at the moment because it feels too cartoony/arcadey. Mainly every day you get a chance of getting a new citizen based on your score for the day. If you do shitty, no citizens and since they don't breed, your population stagnates. Your days aren't really free, you're bound to do better than you did the day before or else your population will be too small to stand up to the monsters that increase day by day.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:14 pm »

Yeah monster scaling is a little fast right now. That said, it is nice to have a bit of pressure to work against.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:44 am »

Mehhh, I'd rather that pressure come from supply chains or food. I just don't like it when games force combat on you because it forces you to take actions you normally wouldn't thus taking some agency(like hostile red NPCs making up 90% of your NPC encounters in fallout 4). I want to focus on making my place look nice damnit, I don't have time to be killing every wolf and goblin that wanders into town.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:19 am »

Yeah, it needs a mode in between Peaceful and Monsters Attack Constantly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2017, 02:00:45 pm »

Stonehearth has been in really active development for a long time. I have to say, the dev team has probably the best outward-facing connection to the supporters anywhere. Weekly in-depth updates and discussions of the design decisions unlike any other team out there, with the possible exception of Dwarf Fortress.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2017, 02:04:40 pm »

Yeah, they've been doing a very good job of making stuff visible. I haven't really looked in on it in a while, though. Anything exciting recently?
Come play Mafia with us!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »

Considering I had to necro this thread, I'm not sure what counts as "recently," but yeah, there's been a ton of stuff. Most recently, the hearthlings are getting much more sophisticated morale systems where they consider the size of their accommodations, more conditions of the town, that sort of thing. Keeping Hearthlings happy is now a central element of the game. As a part of that, it's now possible to recover Hearthlings felled in battle, if you get to them in time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2017, 09:05:55 pm »

Cool. Does the building editor work better now? I remember having a bunch of issues actually making interesting buildings back when I tried it over the summer.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10