Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cryo mines are tough....  (Read 2660 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Cryo mines are tough....
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »

As Orc Fortress players might know, the Frostskald has an array of spells that can do both physical and cold damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried to apply the same sort of spells to improve the ice landmine and give it some real cold attacks.  The problem is, that the frostbite effects depend on a series of spells working together -- hail to create some open wounds, splash with water to coat the victim, and then a cryoblast that flash freezes the water into ice coating.  It's hard to get all these effects into the short lifespan (and short targeting range) of a landmine.  If you just give it a bunch of attacks, it usually only has time to cast 1 or 2 of them before it dies, even if they're on fast short WAIT_PERIOD and CDI:FREE_ACTION.  Especially, since the landmine attacks typically include a undirected dust explosion to finish things off.

My best attempt so far was to stagger a series of effects that kick in at different distances from the mine, and have staggered WAIT_PERIODS to encourage the mines to use more than one of them.

Still, most of the damage is done by the "hail" shrapnel and the following blast -- the only frost damage is when the cryovapor gets splashed on already gaping chest wounds, and noone dies of frostbite.  I think the mine just doesn't provide the sustained exposure to the elements that frostbite requires.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cryo mines are tough....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »

try these from the Spellbook thread

08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »

Thank you! But the goal was to do it with pure frostbite damage, not with syndromes.  Killing with syndromes is straightforward enough :)

My existing material is already similar to the non-syndrome properties of that material (emitting solid or liquid globs of a material with [MELTING_POINT:250][BOILING_POINT:2500])

Spoiler: the material (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:01:09 pm by smakemupagus »

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:59 pm »

i believe the idea was to have the effects of frostbite without actually inducing it.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

Sure, that's fine, and a reasonable way to do it in practice (Meph's existing mines are similar, although he chose to make them more disabling than deadly).  Just not what my goal was in this little self-challenge. 

Since I had sort of claimed in another thread that I could make mines with the same attacks as the Frostskald mages, I figured I'd post the results, even if it didn't work :)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »

why not just givee the mat a fixed temp that is low enought to cause frostbite (almost typed frostblight)?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »

Hmm.  Good idea as a proof of concept, but in game i want it to disperse / evaporate.