Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (In development)  (Read 10169 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
[GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (In development)
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

It seems making plug-ins for Masterwork is all the rage these days. And yet there is no goblin plug-in. Not until now, anyway.

Ideas and suggestions are always appreciated, of course.

Goblins are one of the standard DF races, filling the evil role. While there are quite a lot more races to oppose the dwarves in materwork, I still feel that the goblins are the classical rivals.

One of the staples of DF goblins is child-snatching. The goblin snatcher is an icon of the goblin race to players, and so that is going to be quite important. You'll be able to "enlighten" snatched or captured members of other races (with the exception of the automatons), turning them into proud members of your den or tower.

Alchemy is also important, as are demonic rituals, so you'll be able to play around with potions to bolster your forces in various ways, or with mutation to create an army of mutants, as well as trying to gain favour from your demonic overlords by sacrificing the corpses of your foes (for an exceedingly low chance of anything happening, good or bad) or sacrifice your own cultists (for a greater chance of something happening). Demons, should you manage to aquire one, will be a mixed blessing. While powerful foes capable of destroying most enemies that dare face them, they are also dangerous to you, and will not hesistate to kill a goblin simply because they can.

Another thing that should differentiate the race is that when a goblin civilization is spawned in world-gen, it'll be composed of one of the three goblinoid races: night goblins, hobgoblins or snaga. This means you can get the sneaky, cowardly night goblin in one world, while in another you'll have the proud warrior-like hobgoblins. Or all three, if you are lucky enough.

Ultimately, I want goblins to have a "dictatorship" feel, where the life of a single goblin means nothing in the greater scheme of things.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:44:46 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (Planning Stage)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »

Ideas:
Code: [Select]
3 Goblinoids: Night Goblins, Hobgoblins, Snaga

Can convert other races to the glory of goblin-kind.

Snatcher's Station: Go out to snatch.
-Kobolds: 50% capture, 45% failure, 5% death
-Gnomes: 20% capture, 25% failure, 25% failure + siege, 15% death, 15% death + siege
-Dwarves: 20% capture, 20% failure, 20% failure + siege, 30% death, 10% death + siege
-Antmen: 20% capture, 30% failure, 10% failure + siege, 30% death, 10% death + siege
-Elves: 30% capture, 30% failure, 10% failure + siege, 20% death, 10% death + siege
-Orc: 20% capture, 20% failure, 20% failure + siege, 20% death, 20% death + siege
-Frost Giant: 1% capture, 20% failure, 20% failure + siege, 25% death, 30% death + siege

Assimilatorium: Convert. Needs educational pamphlet.
-Convert abductee: 80% success, 20% escape
-Convert prisioner: Should always work.
-Uplift troll: 20% success, 70% unable, 9% berserk, 1% suicide

Scriptorium (reuse from dwarf?): Makes books and such.
-Make educational pamphlet: Always works. 5% of making two in one go.
-Make book for troll training: Same as above.

Inquisitorial Chapter House: Train inquisitors.
-Train inquisitor: Gains access to various abilities. Mostly to deal with undead.
-Interrogate abductee: Gain a "<RACE> confession" item. Abductee always dies.
-Analyse confession: use a confession to gain a plan/schematic that can be used to build special workshops.

Temple of the Deep Ones: Demonic Religion. Risky, but powerful.
-Sacrifice corpse: 70% nothing, 27% bad, 3% good.
-Sacrifice soul: 70% nothing, 20% bad, 10% good.
-Sacrifice cultist: 10% nothing, 45% bad, 45% good.
~Good things: Slade-bound book (can be used once to make Darksworn), Demons, phat lewt.
~Bad things: Fun stuff.

Temple of the Forgotten Shadow: Shadow magic/religion. Not as risky. Less powerful.
-Sacrifice corpse: 50% nothing, 35% bad, 15% good.
-Sacrifice soul: 50% nothing, 25% bad, 25% good.
-Sacrifice cultist: 10% nothing, 30% bad, 60% good.
~Good things: Shadow-bound book (can be used once to make Ascendants), Shadow creatures, phat lewt.
~Bad things: Fun stuff.

Troll pit: Train trolls.
-Train trolls in various skills. All require books.

Alchemy Lab:
-Perform experiment: Various results, from potions, to mutagen, to explosions.
-Inject mutagen on captured foe (the snatched kind): 50% success, 20% dead subject, 10% escaped subject, 20% Fun.

Religion interplay:
-Demon cultists and Shadow cultists do not get along well. That's all that'll be said.

Warp Gate: Built with warpstone.
-Summon trolls/beak dogs/etc through the warp gate;

Circle of Blood:
Works like a coloseum, but summons different creatures.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:31:45 pm by Deathsword »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:18 pm »

You know, I dont think I have to do much these next months... goblin, elf, drow, reaver, undead races, they all pop up left and right. :) I think its amazing and I am glad for the support. And it even leads to 6 modders working on one project, without stepping on each others toes. Its awesome.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

How would this be different from the Kobold mod with digging enabled? Why not go hog-wild, relying on mutagenic alchemy and depraved surgery? I can see reactions designed to twist your raw recruits into fearless (lobotomized) warriors.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:43:39 pm »

I think they should have farms, Unlike the vanilla gobo's and instead of making them bad for combat, make them more... Fertile? So they would breed like crazy and grow up in 3-4 years? So rather than being unsuited for combat they would just overtake the enemies by numbers! Perhaps a caste which appears often, usuless at most work good at fighting(Not legion dwarf good just a gobo that you would rather send instead of your normal goblins) Also maybe add those snagas? Like in orc fortress. Also maybe give them some interesting alchemy to work on. I like the dark goblins idea.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:25:06 pm by SuicideRey »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »

Hobgoblin for military.
Troll pets.
Hooked blades and arrows/bolts.

Kazymir has a point. What would make this race different to play? Any game mechanics the player has to abide to?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »

I would think they would be between humans and dwarves in combat ability.  I would think their equipment would be crude, this could be simulated by toning down ALL of their weapon/armors in their values so they end up 'rusted' quality. I'd love if you made them like vanilla gobbos. Similar in industry to orcs but with much less physical capability as gobbos are human height/skinny in vanilla. Their quirk could somehow come in their instability, perhaps far LESS prone to sadness and anxiety but far MORE prone to ANGER. Maybe we'd have gobbos fighting each other all the time. I'd like to see something like gobbo shorty dislikes tall gobbos so be may start fist fights with them. Within modding capability large emotional differences and cruder equipment would make for varied and interesting playthroughs.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:57 pm »

I would think they would be between humans and dwarves in combat ability.  I would think their equipment would be crude, this could be simulated by toning down ALL of their weapon/armors in their values so they end up 'rusted' quality. I'd love if you made them like vanilla gobbos. Similar in industry to orcs but with much less physical capability as gobbos are human height/skinny in vanilla. Their quirk could somehow come in their instability, perhaps far LESS prone to sadness and anxiety but far MORE prone to ANGER. Maybe we'd have gobbos fighting each other all the time. I'd like to see something like gobbo shorty dislikes tall gobbos so be may start fist fights with them. Within modding capability large emotional differences and cruder equipment would make for varied and interesting playthroughs.
I'm afraid even if that's achieved it will most likely end up in one of the gobbo's dying, most likely with a smashed brain.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »

That's my point exactly, would make for a very hardened society, it would differ from the others by way of significant danger coming from the nature of the creatures being played with.

Makes sense for df gobbos imo.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »

Looks good, but I dn't think these guys have that much going for them... Maybe use smakes Goblin Tinkerer from the orc mod? That might actually give your gobbos some teeth.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:19:10 pm »

Oh no nvm this.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »

What? Type english.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:02 pm »

Just don't worry about that post it was a mistake... Dx

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:36:01 pm »

I like those ideas (except the inter-caste hate, I don't think that's possible. At least not without DFHack scripts). I was already planning on including alchemy and "potion"-induced mutations, but I guess now I'll ramp it up so that the civ is based around that. Multiple litters are already in, although I haven't decided on max age. I'll look at the goblin tinker. I've been thinking of not allowing them armour (or just really bad armour), thoughts on that?

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »

I like those ideas (except the inter-caste hate, I don't think that's possible. At least not without DFHack scripts). I was already planning on including alchemy and "potion"-induced mutations, but I guess now I'll ramp it up so that the civ is based around that. Multiple litters are already in, although I haven't decided on max age. I'll look at the goblin tinker. I've been thinking of not allowing them armour (or just really bad armour), thoughts on that?
Not allowing armor to who\what sorry?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6