Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (In development)  (Read 10318 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (Planning Stage)
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »

*Demons, necromancers and Uruk Warlords - one of the things I wanted to do was make it likely that your goblins would end up being ruled by some grumpy and terrible creature.  Either these would be done as a rare caste or as a very expensive pet that could be brought along.  These creatures would have very high social skills to make them likely to be elected mayor, and if possible, made to make them likely to become king.

Demon/Necromancer mayor is an awesome idea, I didnt even think about that. Giving a rare caste with a different body natural skills and skill learn rates in social matters is a great way to do so. Goblin generals usually are some "something twisted into humanoid form" from my experience.

You can also have a race/caste as a requisite for a given position.
I use this to make sure babysnatched drow don't grow up to be the Great Clanfather, for example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS.  Also, cattle/sabrecat/etc. rustling == awesome :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:22:27 pm by smakemupagus »

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »

Sorry if it was suggested before, but it could be interesting to add some kind of workshop that would let you to prepare poisons from plants and to impregnate some weapons and arrows with it, getting a deadly arsenal without needing steel and other powerful metals.

Greetings

The Dwarfs have both poisons and runes, which work exactly like what you are requesting.

I reckon that Goblins should have their own poison workshop.  Maybe make them a bit better at poison than Dwarfs - it seems a natural area for Goblins to excel.  Maybe if Goblin poisons are cheaper than Dwarf poisons (seems like a better way of doing it than just making Goblin poisons more powerful, since I think part of Goblin play should be a constant sense of being weaker than the Dwarfs...)

Not sure if Goblins should have runes though - doesn't seem very Gobliny to me.  They might have "weapon enchantments" that were similar to runes though.  Perhaps by making sacrifices to their demon masters, the Goblins could get all sorts of interesting syndrome poisons and enchantments.

Could also give an interesting angle to Goblin raids - raiding neighbouring civs to ensure a constant stream of sacrifices to keep the demons happy...

Hmm...  Maybe the high-level Goblin magic building whatever it ends up getting called ("Demon Maw"?), could be a double edged sword, not only providing the fortress with powerful magic, but also requiring constant sacrifices to stop it from spawning enemy demons inside the fortress...  (Only way I can think of to get anywhere close to that would be to have two versions of every reaction - a cheap "risk a demon coming" version and an expensive "add sacrifice for safety" version.)

I use this to make sure babysnatched drow don't grow up to be the Great Clanfather, for example.

OK, wow, no idea you could do this...  So we could not only have demon kings ruling the Goblins, but the rest of the goblin nobility only being open to demons, necromancers and uruks?

And I am glad people are liking the idea of goblin rustlers.

Also, some more ideas:

*Restrict the goblin basic crops to crops that grow in evil biomes (seems to me that Goblins should have some reason to seek out evil places to settle without making the evil of evil biomes any less - anyone think of any other ideas for how to do this?)
*The Goblin plugin would add some evil weather types to good areas - I think it would be fitting to have my Goblins' skins melt off first time they were caught out in the rain in a good biome.
*Add some nasty monsters to good biomes when the Goblin plugin was activated - so instead of only having to face unicorns, goblins would have to face ANGRY unicorns who want to rip their faces off...

EDIT: In addition to angry unicorns, how about facehugger fairies attacking goblins?

I need to learn how to mod this game faster so I can actually write this plugin and play it...

fasquardon
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:09:22 pm by fasquardon »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »

OK, wow, no idea you could do this...  So we could not only have demon kings ruling the Goblins, but the rest of the goblin nobility only being open to demons, necromancers and uruks?

Yeah, it might be helpful, but I still don't know exactly how you'll handle this; If you make the Overlords a different Creature there's no guarantee there will be any appropriate civ members of the correct species, while if you make them a caste you run into the lack of caste level graphics (except in ASCII) and the problem of caste interbreeding.  Same sort of issues that cause obstacles with servant castes.  .... It's a little different in the example I gave from Orc mode where I am *excluding*, rather than specifying, the rare species.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:18:17 pm by smakemupagus »

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

Yeah, it might be helpful, but I still don't know exactly how you'll handle this; If you make the Overlords a different Creature there's no guarantee there will be any appropriate civ members of the correct species, while if you make them a caste you run into the lack of caste level graphics (except in ASCII) and the problem of caste interbreeding.  Same sort of issues that cause obstacles with servant castes.  .... It's a little different in the example I gave from Orc mode where I am *excluding*, rather than specifying, the rare species.

I could have sworn there was a way to make neuter castes...  What happens if you move the gender information from the "root" creature to the "caste" entries, and then miss out one of the caste entries?

In any case...  Demons interbreeding with Goblins isn't too brain-meltingly wrong...  And maybe to cover the lack of caste specific graphics, the demons ruling Goblins could be possessing goblin bodies...

fasquardon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »

Demon castes could easily be set to have no gender. They could still be born to goblins, however.

Also, no progress, since I currently am unable to use my own computer due to power problems.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 09:06:25 am »

That's disheartening. perhaps I could screw around with some raws later today to help you out.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Demon castes could easily be set to have no gender. They could still be born to goblins, however.

Hm...  How does Meph do the current guild castes then?  Maybe I've just been lucky (unlucky?) but I've not gotten any guild members in migration waves yet.  I am only a couple years in to my Dwarf Fort with v.3 though...

fasquardon

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »

What size/body plan are these goblins intended to go by?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:21 am »

Hm...  How does Meph do the current guild castes then?  Maybe I've just been lucky (unlucky?) but I've not gotten any guild members in migration waves yet.  I am only a couple years in to my Dwarf Fort with v.3 though...

fasquardon

Meph's guilds are a very rare caste.
I don't know whether there are side-effects if you restrict your civ's leader to be from rare castes.  It can't hurt to try, of course.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »

fasquardon

Meph's guilds are a very rare caste.
I don't know whether there are side-effects if you restrict your civ's leader to be from rare castes.  It can't hurt to try, of course.

If no caste is available any caste can be chosen. For instance when I was making that reaver plugin I noticed that sometimes other castes became the monarch instead of my dream weavers due to their rarity

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »

As far as the demon overlord  foes, you could make it a pet that gives access to advanced reactions or buildings if you let it hang out at it's throne room and is a powerful combatant, but needs to be fed goblin sacrifices to keep it from going berserk and killing everyone.  I don't know if this all is possible but logically you could do it like this:

As someone else said, have a nest-box-like building that acts as its throne.  It lays eggs of metal needed to build advanced demonic buildings or grant demonic powers. 
Also have another building, a sacrificial altar, which acts as a sort of farmer's workshop.  A goblin sacrifice takes the demon to the altar and shears it, but the sheared "wool" is actually a boiling stone that kills the sacrifice and transforms the demon into a standard, satiated demon.  The satiated form would technically be the baby demon, which would then mature into a hungry child and an adult form that goes berserk and starts killing everyone. I don't know if it is possible to make buildings that act like nest boxes or farmers workshops, though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »

After some thinking I decided that demon overlord fit better with tower goblins than the more tribal goblins I am doing. I guess I could still do demonic possession, which should be pretty easy.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:25 pm »

Finished the goblin creature and all it's castes. Time to move fully to the buidlings, interactions and reactions.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:44:07 am »

You know, if you're going with the tribal angle, how about a steam lodge? Saunas were important for a number of tribal societies, and a a good steam bath could clean and cause good thoughts.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 03:42:40 am »

If you say you finished the goblin creature, does that include a caste system?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6