Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (In development)  (Read 10293 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [GOBLIN] Discussion and Suggestions (In development)
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »

Looking at your todo list: Trolls are absent. Somehow goblins should have a relation with trolls, because that fits the DF lore. Maybe pets, possible to spawn/farm trolls?

I would also suggest a workshop that lets you start kidnappings. Again, same reason. This could spawn an intelligent "dwarven kid" or "elf child". If you spawn intelligent units with spawnunit, they are civ-members. You cant control them or give them labors, but they will run around the fort. You could kidnap these kids and give them benefitial interactions, that affect the workers around them.

Or make "kidnapped child in a bag"-item, which is used for some reactions. I am not sure if Goblins are evil and steal kids, or if Goblins are good and safe kids from the madness that is a dwarven fort. ^^

And a goblin fletcher that makes arrows that have an itemsydrome attached that causes heavy pain and bleeding. I like to thing of their archers using hooked and barbed arrows that rip flesh a lot. :)

Oh, and maybe a mercenary place, where you can buy Ogres, Cyclops, things like that. :) Give this much loot or coins, spawn a semimegabeast thats on your side.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:01:41 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2013, 06:01:17 pm »

Looking at your todo list: Trolls are absent. Somehow goblins should have a relation with trolls, because that fits the DF lore. Maybe pets, possible to spawn/farm trolls?

I would also suggest a workshop that lets you start kidnappings. Again, same reason. This could spawn an intelligent "dwarven kid" or "elf child". If you spawn intelligent units with spawnunit, they are civ-members. You can control them or give them labors, but they will run around the fort. You could kidnap these kids and give them benefitial interactions, that affect the workers around them.

Or make "kidnapped child in a bag"-item, which is used for some reactions. I am not sure if Goblins are evil and steal kids, or if Goblins are good and safe kids from the madness that is a dwarven fort. ^^
The Snatcher's Station is the kidnapping building. The stuff listed is what I am working on at the moment, not the list of everything that will be in the fort.

As for how kidnapping will work, you send a snatcher out, when he returns (if he returns) you'll have a "(race) captive in a bag" item. They can either be handed over to the alchemists to experiment with or taken to an assimilatorium, where, with the aid of propaganda educational pamphlets, they can be turned into proud members of your fort (via spawnunit). Captured enemies can also be subjected to the assimilatorium for conversion (thanks to Boltgun's script used in his succubus mod), and trolls can be educated into true civilized creatures as well. 

I don't know if spawnunit would create children or adult creatures though.

The morality I'll leave to the players. The goblins certainly believe themselves to be doing the right thing.

Trolls: yes, trolls will be big, but I want to get this stuff out of the way first before handling trolls.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 08:15:54 pm »

I have a suggestion based on murder.

Namely, gobbo's do it all the time according to legends. Would it be possible to have goblins have a very low chance of killing another goblin if they catch them alone? It should be possible to simulate the murder aspect with autosyndrome instead of making the goblin attack another, so you can avoid loyalty cascades but keep the wonderful back-stabbyness of goblin culture.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 09:52:21 pm »

I have a suggestion based on murder.

Namely, gobbo's do it all the time according to legends. Would it be possible to have goblins have a very low chance of killing another goblin if they catch them alone? It should be possible to simulate the murder aspect with autosyndrome instead of making the goblin attack another, so you can avoid loyalty cascades but keep the wonderful back-stabbyness of goblin culture.
Yes, thats absolutely possible. Dwarven psychopaths already do this.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2013, 03:30:25 am »

Actually, if you have a civ that finds murder ACCEPTABLE and give them high ANGER and low ALTRUISM values, they'll be pretty back-stabby already.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:12 am »

Added a list of ideas to the second post. (or will when my currently bad internet allows for it)

Also ended up seeing a potential problem: goblins live in evil areas, which means undead. Goblins aren't warlocks, so they aren't going to be all friendly with the deaders. In the ideas thing mentioned above you can see the "inquisitors" (may not be the final name), which will probably be used to deal with that problem.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:15 am »

Ended up making the inquisitors as a sort of battlefield assassin, they are capable of weakining enemies (lower toughness, strength, endurance), destroy their will (removing nofear and lowering willpower), slow them, vanish into the shadows (stealth) and performing assassinations (massive bleeding, should be useless against anything without blood). However, should an inquisitor see too much combat and death, they'll be forced to pay the ultimate price (Fun stuff).

Thoughts on any of the stuff above?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 11:21:22 am »

vanish into the shadows (stealth)
I encountered problems with using this on civ members. People that are hidden are officially sneaking, which brings their speed down a lot. The problem is is that the AI never stops sneaking, and the creatures will be eternaly slow. I plan to remove this from my dwarven mages, exactly for this reason.

I tried combating this behaviour with a "unhide" interaction, each hidden dwarf shoots a material emission that is harmless after the hiding should stop, but that did not seem to help.

I do like the sound of a goblin inquisition. Any interactions to combat undeads for them? Seems fitting, as goblins build dark fortresses in evil regions and should be used to driving out undeads.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:07 am »

vanish into the shadows (stealth)
I encountered problems with using this on civ members. People that are hidden are officially sneaking, which brings their speed down a lot. The problem is is that the AI never stops sneaking, and the creatures will be eternaly slow. I plan to remove this from my dwarven mages, exactly for this reason.

I tried combating this behaviour with a "unhide" interaction, each hidden dwarf shoots a material emission that is harmless after the hiding should stop, but that did not seem to help.

I do like the sound of a goblin inquisition. Any interactions to combat undeads for them? Seems fitting, as goblins build dark fortresses in evil regions and should be used to driving out undeads.
I'll remove the hide, then.

I think I found a way to deal with undead, it'll go on the priests inquisitors, doesn't really fit the priests.

EDIT: Finished conversion mechanics for religions. Sadly, some of the stuff needed to do it is rather ugly (goblins (and eventually converted civ members) have an interaction that marks them as unconverted, that is because of another 3 interactions involving inter-religion murder)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:53:20 pm by Deathsword »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 12:55:30 pm »

Was that, what that question with MUST_HAVE_SYN_CLASS was about?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »

Was that, what that question with MUST_HAVE_SYN_CLASS was about?
Yes. I was hoping for a more elegant solution than the current one. Not having religious strife is not an option.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 02:50:35 pm »

For combating undeads. I know they have that whole 'no_emotion' tag but is there some way to force them to flee ANYWAY? Perhaps Goblins have some sort of totem that causes undead to flee from it?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »

For combating undeads. I know they have that whole 'no_emotion' tag but is there some way to force them to flee ANYWAY? Perhaps Goblins have some sort of totem that causes undead to flee from it?
As far as I am aware I can't force them to flee. The best I could do is to remove the token that makes them being able to move/be held together without ligaments, reduce their strength, toughness and speed to abysmal levels and paralyse them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »

I dont think its possible to make them flee. Removing the NOFEAR would help, but I am sure that they keep their AI. You can even remove the OPPOSED TO LIFE, but if you do that to predators or invaders, they would still attack. Undead animals would flee in that case.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 04:01:38 pm »

I don't suppose that it could... hmmm... okay, bear with me.

When within range of these totems (or engravings, whatever). Undead have their 'NOFEAR' tag removed and at the same time have a fear effect applied to them?

When they exit the range of the totems (or after X amount of time I guess) they 'NOFEAR' returns?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6