Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Minecarts for moving magma  (Read 18299 times)

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts for moving magma
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 04:09:05 am »

I tried your idea with the track stop first but it did not work. The cart either stopped or collected no magma.
Then I built a longer and thinner reservoir where all of the track tiles are ramps. This worked.
Thanks for helping.

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts for moving magma, stuck on the incoming ramp
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »

I soooo want to make this work but my minecart gets stuck on the right ramp.

Details:
The roller is rolling (in the correct direction).  I've tried highest speed and high speed.
The minecart drops about 13 z levels.
The roller was the last thing built.
The track loop has only one minecart on it.
The bridge stays retracted.
Same behavior whether there is magma or not.

Conceptually I don't see how the cart is supposed to get from the ramp with the bridge to the ramp with the roller but that's probably my lack of dwarfiness.
As long as there is no magma a dwarf eventually comes along and yanks the minecart off the ramp.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
(profile byline coming soon to this space)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 04:39:13 pm »

Is the roller powered? Does the cart land on a ramp? Does the roller extend to that ramp?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »

Is the roller powered? Does the cart land on a ramp? Does the roller extend to that ramp?
Yes, it's powered (that's what I meant to say when I said "rolling")
yes, the cart lands on the right ramp.
No, the roller is just 1x1 on the left ramp, following the gchristopher's design.

I tried putting a roller over both ramps but I had to remove the bridge to do that.  In this setup the minecart falls on the roller and moves left but now it's stuck on the left roller.  It doesn't climb up the ramp.  (I haven't tried this with magma but I assume that if it doesn't leave an empty pit it won't leave a magma-filled pit).
To the left of the left ramp and at level z+1 there are tracks (not with a track end but tracks that go "off the edge", so to speak).

So now I've got two problems:
  How to get the cart off the ramp on the right and still have a retracting bridge.
  How to get the cart to get up and out of the left side of the pit.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »

I think the problem is with your tracks, their must be a break on the exit ramp. Double check that they are continuous.

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 03:10:46 pm »

I think the problem is with your tracks, their must be a break on the exit ramp. Double check that they are continuous.

Bingo, that got 'er moving.
Thank-you, fricy.

So...to recap.  I was missing continuous (E-W) tracks on both ramps, and also on the tile just past the roller on the z+1 level.

I'll try it with magma now and now that the minecart is completing a loop I've got a few speed issues to work out down the line but I should be able to work that out.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 07:52:48 am »

Forgive me if this is known already.

I didn't want to mess with all of this complicated mine cart track stuff with rollers or glitch ramps. I just wanted an easy way to get a few single tiles of magma near the surface to get my smelters working in by the first summer. This could probably be done faster if you brought the parts from the embark screen.

Dig a 1 tile stair all the way down to the magma sea. You will need magma safe screw pump components, 2 magma safe doors, 1 magma safe mechanism, and a magma safe minecart.
Dig out a very small area just big enough for the screw pump and channel on the supply side of the pump with access to lava. Everything else was done on the same Z-level.
I setup a Route with a single stop at the output on the magma screw pump and closed it in on all sides with walls and those two doors.
Assign the minecart to this route.
Build a lever somewhere and link it to one of the doors and dig out a drainage area behind it.
Once the dwarves have hauled the minecart into position, make sure all the doors are closed and forbid them.
Turn on the screw pump to fill the minecart tile with 7/7 magma and putting 833 magma into the cart. Turn it back off.
Pull the lever to open the drainage door and wait for the magma to drain out and evaporate.
Setup a furniture stockpile near the surface that accepts minecarts and unassign the minecart from the route. The dwarfs will carry the magma filled cart to the surface.
Build a small section of track with a trackstop to dump into a channel in a location of your choosing where you want to make your magma smelters.
Repeat until the magma is deep enough to build a working magma forge.

There are some refinements to be made. I later decided to fill up 3 minecarts at once by expanding the 1 tile space into 3 and assigning 3 different routes with a single stop each.  Also might want to find a better way to drain the magma than a evaporation field It can take a long time for 1/7 magma to disappear. Maybe if we put magma safe hatch covers covering a downstairs, it would let the magma completely drain immediately  and have the evaporation room one z level below.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:54:32 am by GoldenShadow »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »

I made a similar thread a while back.  There's already been significant research into this field with some pleasing results.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126864.msg4296710#msg4296710

An alternative method:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126780.msg4295853#msg4295853
Pages: 1 2 [3]