Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Masterwork Quick Start Guide?  (Read 13000 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Masterwork Quick Start Guide?
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:01:17 am »

Im really not that experienced w this mod.  Ive gotten a few things done but always found the documentation daunting.

One of my fave ideas was the chart for the 31.25 quickstart guide.  I printed it out one day and made sure I followed it.  I learned vanilla very efficiently that way. It would be nice if a mwmod veteran who had the time could create one for the mwmod.

heres the post for the 31.25 version.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Quickstart_guide.

If someone makes it ill update this 1st post w it.  If someone doesnt and this thread gains in enough popularity, maybe ill just make it myself.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Quick Start Guide?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:13 am »

At the level of detail covered in that flowchart (dig some rooms, make tables, plant plump helmets) I don't know what would be different.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:26 am »

how to get manuscripts to build golems and stuff, how the new smelting works, how to cut timber into wood, stuff like that

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:41:44 pm »

how to get manuscripts to build golems and stuff, how the new smelting works, how to cut timber into wood, stuff like that

Much (but not all) of what you ask is covered in the Manual enclosed with the download.  Some of what’s in there is not all that immediately obvious: “turrets” are covered in the section on pets, for whatever reason.  It’s clear that Meph was big on the library since he emphasizes it several times.  "Cutting timber" will be pretty obvious once you've built the appropriate workshop (although, really, it isn't particularly useful unless you fancy parquet flooring).  Technically, the new wood scraps can make paper for your new texts twice as fast but still not nearly as fast as rope reed papyrus, particularly once your Farmer gets up to speed, skill-wise, since slag gives potash now.  Crucibles and such are covered fairly well under the Buildings section.  The new Guilds – not so much (yet, anyway).  “Get manuscripts to build golems and stuff” is easiest done by trading.  Research buildings are also covered but trading is pretty much guaranteed to work within two years, maximum, much less if you’re lucky with an early caravan.  Of course, having enough geld to pay for those blueprints is certain to bring guests and Meph clearly did not like the vanilla DF Danger Room exploit (as in, not only does he tease in his “hints, tips and tricks” section about “small rooms, 3x3 or 5x5” (!) he neglects to mention that armor of some sort is an absolute necessity now for training in them; a cloak no longer does the job). 

But there is much that isn’t covered in the manual and particularly so for the latest release (v3).  Smake and others are just getting started on a MWDF Wiki namepage (and way to go, Smake!). 

Also note: you can get one freebie question in Meph’s AMA thread, open for the next three days
– don’t waste it. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:39:14 pm »

My whole point is.  some people are visual learners.  I learned DF using the quickstart guide, and then "reading" things I wasn't too sure on.  A quick flowchart of what goes to what really goes a long way as in what order one should be reading things and trying to figure a game out.

Obviously if this were to be done, a diff one would have to be done for each mod of the game.  And there would have to be branches that specify if certain options were set.

edit:
trying to figure out some good apps to do this, freemind is an app that could be used, there's some other professional versions.  I'd like to start with each industry (probably no need to redo the basic flowchart referenced above)

Good softwares to use

• Smartdraw (great software I used for my Systems Analysis and Design class) (commercial)
  • Edrawmindmap (free)
  • FreeMind (free)
and of course
  • Visio (commercial)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:08:13 am by thistleknot »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »

So far, in all the 1,5 years, only two people asked about something like this... if you think it is a good idea, start a project, maybe do a flowchart for one or two industries, ask others to chime in for those that you are inexperienced with.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kire93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »

I think it sounds like an awesome idea. ptw

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:14:12 am »

+1 to flowchart.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:17:04 am »

I'd be willing to do writing for the military section and how which weapons are effective in whatever ways.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:40:19 am »

It would be best to flowchart the industries, and how to reach the next tier of industry in the shortest time possible.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 10:49:43 am »

Like:

Code: [Select]
Screwpress => Paper   +   Scriptorium => Ink   
                     ||
         Architects Study => Blueprints
                     ||
           High-tier buildings   
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:02:54 am »

It would be best to flowchart the industries, and how to reach the next tier of industry in the shortest time possible.

Meph: Perfecto

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »

Orc Fortress has sort a lot of buildings that are controlled by blueprints, and reactions that are controlled by toolkits or other special reagents.  Most of the information is on this page

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Orcish_items

I'm more of a text or tables learner so I'm not sure I could convert it into a flowchart that would be super useful to you guys, but I'm happy to try to answer any questions if someone else wants to flowchart it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »

Ok, I admit, something like this: http://imgur.com/Iyka1Gv actually does look helpful.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »

yes, it's useful, but I found things like these that have been done for past games useful, they show order of dependence/precedence.  However, it might be assumed that there isn't a lot of dependencies for these industries?  Just from Meph's example, it does show there are a few dependencies...  If there not more than 2 or 3 deep, then maybe it's not necessary for a flow chart.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetcnc.gamespy.com/features/keymaps/TW/TiberiumWarsTechTree.jpg
&
http://www.civfanatics.com/images/civ2/poster/civ2chart.jpg

If I can figure out how to survive long enough and do most of the industries, I'll start on it.

btw hes prolly gonna implement this into his sheet

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/images/6/65/Df-crops-diagram.png
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:36:33 am by thistleknot »
Pages: [1] 2